Would God of War Ragnarock have been more epic if Cory Barlog had directed?

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
The entire game IMO. The stakes just didn’t feel that high with the story they were trying to tell and needed more time to cook. It’s like they just wanted to get the story out of the way and move to something else.

This is very noticeable when you're playing. Especially on replays. You see the pace is off - and the build up was rushed/cramped at times. It also lacks the "grandeur"/peaks 2018 achieved. Still a good game though, just didn't hit the same highs

It actually made me appreciate TLoU2 more, because they didn't play it safe at all. Packed up youknowwho and made you play as the bytch who did it :mjlol: from there the dark brooding tone, dread, and fallout was wild.

Conversely, GoW:R started off that way with the first act, a building sense of dread that something fukked up was gonna happen... but it just never got there. Ragnorak, Kratos dying, the little shyt being "Loki"... they gassed those up but didn't want to go there or give us a clever swerve. So yea, for me the game was a lot of fun but narratively behind GoW 2018 and TLoU2.

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
I think the assumption was that something was going to happen to Kratos as per the wall mural in GOW 2018. Oh boy was going to do some wild shyt because he was Loki.
:yeshrug: Kratos ending was great killing him wouldn’t make sense. Bruh died like 3 times in the og trilogy. I agree with the Loki thing tho.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
I mean, GOW Ragnarok is an amazing game to me but yeah, it has glaring flaws. The third act and Ragnarok itself are definitely rushed, and both the final Thor fight and the Odin fight are not "special" enough to wrap such an awesome story and game.

My favorite part of the game on my first run was Vanaheim opening up and getting all those missions and boss fights to have one last big adventure with Atreus. Truly felt like I was saying goodbye to the kid. And then I went to the final act and while a dope experience anyways, it wasn't as memorable as the game told you it was going to be.

Valhalla was fukking awesome though, SMS can do no wrong with GOW in my book :manny:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
9.5/10 for me but if they had tweaked a couple of things.

- woulda been nice to play as Fray and have that fight with Thor
- Loki fukkery with Atreus

But I'm fine with how it ended. Still would like to see them go forward with the plan to have Kratos deal with other gods. But leave that to the future for now.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Don’t know about Corey Ballrog, but imo the game woulda been 100% better if they just built on the formula with next gen juice instead of totally changing the game.

Old school action games are few and far between lately.

Would be nice to have a well funded AAA action franchise still kicking around right now.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I think the assumption was that something was going to happen to Kratos as per the wall mural in GOW 2018. Oh boy was going to do some wild shyt because he was Loki.

I mean, yea. That’s obviously why ppl feel they played it safe :pachaha:, ofc ppl can feel differently about the 3rd act or pacing but it’s not some mystery. :mjlol:

I even stated:

It actually made me appreciate TLoU2 more, because they didn't play it safe at all. Packed up youknowwho and made you play as the bytch who did it :mjlol: from there the dark brooding tone, dread, and fallout was wild.

Conversely, GoW:R started off that way with the first act, a building sense of dread that something fukked up was gonna happen... but it just never got there. Ragnorak, Kratos dying, the little shyt being "Loki"... they gassed those up but didn't want to go there or give us a clever swerve. So yea, for me the game was a lot of fun but narratively behind GoW 2018 and TLoU2.

The consistent take away being it was a very good if not great game… just not with the same narrative highs.

Last edited:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I mean, GOW Ragnarok is an amazing game to me but yeah, it has glaring flaws. The third act and Ragnarok itself are definitely rushed, and both the final Thor fight and the Odin fight are not "special" enough to wrap such an awesome story and game.

My favorite part of the game on my first run was Vanaheim opening up and getting all those missions and boss fights to have one last big adventure with Atreus. Truly felt like I was saying goodbye to the kid. And then I went to the final act and while a dope experience anyways, it wasn't as memorable as the game told you it was going to be.

Valhalla was fukking awesome though, SMS can do no wrong with GOW in my book :manny:

This. I thought the first 3rd of the game was perfection. Freya gunning for Kratos, Thor pulling up, Artreus being fed up, Kratos seeming tired.

Brilliant set up, carrying over from 2018. The conclusion of it and the big death being the blue midget.. I found to be meh.

I did find Valhalla to make up for it a bit though. It was a cool therapy session for Kratos

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Valhalla redeems the last 3rd of Ragnarok imo

Ragnarok + Valhalla >>>>> 2018

Unpopular Opinion: God Of War should end with Valhalla : r/GodofWar

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Valhalla being just Kratos and Mimir just feels right. No annoying kids or cranky hoe’s following you around :ahh:

I also loves how it ties everything together between the Greek and Norse mythology. It felt like the true conclusion to Kratos’ journey