Would Al Pacino have won best actor if Scarface was released today?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
you seem like a real movie buff who doesn't say "this movie entertained me, so therefore it's good"

like you really look into what the movie is trying to convey and the deeper meaning of what you just watched

i can respect that :salute:

Depends on the flick. Like Ace Ventura entertains the fukk out of me so I'm good with that, but I hold gangster flicks to a higher level especially if you're telling me Pacino is starring and De Palma is directing and Stone is writing. Then when I see some people putting it on par with Goodfellas and Godfather, then that means it's being held to the same standard as those two flicks therefore it should be judged the same. But like I said, love Pacino's performance, he's the best thing about the movie, I just wish everything around him was on the same level. At least it's not flat like Public Enemies though

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
Scarface is a classic for many reasons. it hasnt aged great, theres some suspect acting and dialogue. but too much fukkery going on to not be entertained.
I never said it wasn't entertaining. Its one of the greatest fukkery movies of all time for many reasons...but as a coherent plot and balanced story/acting, its a mess. Pacino did his thing though

Daps
Training Day wasnt even Denzel best role..them cacs just wanted to have fun that year.

Penn, Crowe and even Will >>> Denzel that year

Scarface/Tony Montana isnt oscar material either..just like others said..its a cult classic..but if you break the film down, it's 6/10.

ThaRealness

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Madison
Even with pacino, the film is fukking trainwreck...Stone was coked outta his mind when he wrote it and it shows :russ:
My only real problem with Scarface is the script. Oliver Stone had this idea that drug dealers can't stop talking about balls:beli:

Besides that, I feel like the film is so over the top that it works.

The mid 80s Columbia-Miami drug trade was a story that had to be told.. and in a way that reflected base impulses, and vanity. Some visceral shyt.

Would we really want it any other way? :mjcry:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
My only real problem with Scarface is the script. Oliver Stone had this idea that drug dealers can't stop talking about balls:beli:

Besides that, I feel like the film is so over the top that it works.

The mid 80s Columbia-Miami drug trade was a story that had to be told.. and in a way that reflected base impulses, and vanity. Some visceral shyt.

Would we really want it any other way? :mjcry:
this is what i don't understand... when people say over the top

have y'all not watched cocaine cowboys?? miami was avg 650-700 plus murders a year... JUST in miami... in the 80s.

motherfukkers was spraying up malls, grocery stores, babies in the cribs, chopping up nikkas over $100 debts, laying down cops, doing 150 times worse shyt than anything in this movie..

i'm actually shocked that nobody has made a real movie on 80s miami... y'all think scarface was fukkery :whew:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I don't know brehs. I wasn't going to say Scarface is a classic but the more I think about it. I love the atmosphere and the locations. The soundtrack is wonderful. The rise and fall of this man is done very well. It has a lot of classic elements to it.

Yeah Pacino was overacting in it but I might still call this a classic. :manny: