Would Al Pacino have won best actor if Scarface was released today?

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
All he got was a Golden Globe nomi.But seeing how movies have evolved today with the love of violent and adult themed movies.The love for a great bad guy.Tony Soprano,Alonzo in training day and so on..I think he would have won running away.Scarface was really ahead of its time.I haven't seen Robert Duvall in Tender Mercies who won the oscar that year.He's a hell of a actor.But times were so different then.
depends, were there any scenes in scarface where he mowed any lawns? Best believe if that movie was made today Best chance of him being nominated is we see more of the rags than riches :mjpls:

Last edited:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
I don't think so. I think there would be a lot of people calling it hammy or overacting etc etc. Plus again, it's not a good flick. His performance is what makes the movie but overall:whoknows:
almost caught a neg for that.... it's not a good flick... that's a hammy post... luckily i only return negs instead of giving them out

i mean really... not even GOOD... GOOD nikka??

lucy is a not good movie.. motherfukking dumb and dumber to is a not good movie

you sat down and watched scarface and said, man this shyt ain't even good? :why:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
All he got was a Golden Globe nomi.But seeing how movies have evolved today with the love of violent and adult themed movies.The love for a great bad guy.Tony Soprano,Alonzo in training day and so on..I think he would have won running away.Scarface was really ahead of its time.I haven't seen Robert Duvall in Tender Mercies who won the oscar that year.He's a hell of a actor.But times were so different then.
there'd be way too many people protesting about why a white guy was playing a cuban guy and doing a racist accent and caricature and this is like black face and blah blah blah

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
The music, vibe and Pacino make it a good movie

Bruce LeRoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
Who knows... the Oscars are so weird and unpredictable when it comes to who they nominate sometimes..But to say it it had absolutely no chance..... All you have to do is look back at Denzel Washington winning for Training Day (and DDL to a lesser extent... GONY is closer to Oscar material than both of those flicks tho) which is essentially the same type of role in a decent/solid flick but the performance elevates the movie to a whole other level (Tho I'd say Scarface has much better directing).... the other thing that makes Scarface great is how De Palma and Oliver Stone take the plot and elements from the OG flick and adjusted them to fit the cocaine 80's drug scene. Training Day ins't what would be typically considered an Oscar calibre movie....

Also when Scarface first came out the critics panned it, they didn't like the violence in it.. it's one of those movies that the audiences loved when it came out and alot of critics who gave it negative reviews later went back and praised it.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
almost caught a neg for that.... it's not a good flick... that's a hammy post... luckily i only return negs instead of giving them out

i mean really... not even GOOD... GOOD nikka??

lucy is a not good movie.. motherfukking dumb and dumber to is a not good movie

you sat down and watched scarface and said, man this shyt ain't even good? :why:

In high school I thought it was dope but once I got to college I didn't think so anymore. Dope performance dope music but other than that it just doesn't work for me homie. I don't know what to tell you other than that.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
In high school I thought it was dope but once I got to college I didn't think so anymore. Dope performance dope music but other than that it just doesn't work for me homie. I don't know what to tell you other than that.
so what was the problem?

dope performance seems like the number 1 or 2 on the level of "important shyt in a movie"

the other would be the plot.... is that what the problem was to you?

i'm asking cause all my years on earth.. i've never heard ANYONE say scarface wasn't a good movie... ever... we all have our tastes.. i'm just curious why you think this

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
No because the Academy sh!tted on Pacino something heavy. Look how many Oscar nods he got before he won:

Academy Awards
Year
Film Result Category
1973 The Godfather Nominated Best Supporting Actor
1974 Serpico Best Leading Actor
1975 The Godfather Part II
1976 Dog Day Afternoon
1980 ...And Justice for All
1991 dikk Tracy Best Supporting Actor
1993 Glengarry Glen Ross
Scent of a Woman
Won Best Leading Actor

So no he wouldn't of won for "Scarface" today. But he probably would of been nominated.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
No because the Academy sh!tted on Pacino something heavy. Look how many Oscar nods he got before he won:

Academy Awards
Year
Film Result Category
1973 The Godfather Nominated Best Supporting Actor
1974 Serpico Best Leading Actor
1975 The Godfather Part II
1976 Dog Day Afternoon
1980 ...And Justice for All
1991 dikk Tracy Best Supporting Actor
1993 Glengarry Glen Ross
Scent of a Woman
Won Best Leading Actor

So no he wouldn't of won for "Scarface" today. But he probably would of been nominated.
I get your logic but look at the role blanchett won for (which was clearly a make up call) Oscar just operate on their own rationale a lot of the time. If scarface came out today he might have possibly won through some political reasoning who knows, what we do know tho is the award rarely goes to the best performance :youngsabo:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
so what was the problem?

dope performance seems like the number 1 or 2 on the level of "important shyt in a movie"

the other would be the plot.... is that what the problem was to you?

i'm asking cause all my years on earth.. i've never heard ANYONE say scarface wasn't a good movie... ever... we all have our tastes.. i'm just curious why you think this

Because it's one good performance, everyone else in the movie seems to be just ok or phoning it in or just too big. One good performance makes me separate that one performance because everyone else was just ok. Pacino is the best thing about the movie and I love the music because I love that type of music from that era and I have no problem with the basic plot because it's a simple story but it's just the execution which bugs me. Tonally the movie is all over the place at times, trying to be a serious look at a drug dealer and the situations in our country and cuba at the time that would lead to this, but then at other times it's so over the top it's comical and doesn't really know if it wants to be this serious thing or be this parody of a serious thing which means there are times when everyone feels like they're in different movies doing different things. There are times when Stone seems like he wants to condemn Tony, times where he wants to make him a saint, and other times where he just wants the audience to make their own judgement and you can't have it three ways. Peep Wolf of Wall Street: Scorsese clearly takes a stance on Jordan and the way he does that is by showing how ridiculous and over the top and insane he is and the lengths he was willing to go in order to keep his money and his business. And then in the end, he takes a few jabs at America and the American dream and our justice system etc; he has a point of view and makes sure it's consistent throughout the whole movie. Stone was too coked out to even do that.

And a lot of the dialogue is just too on the nose for me and dialogue is always something that sticks out to me in a movie because that's what I love and I know not everyone feels that way and I'm cool with that, but I just hate on the nose dialogue and like @kp404 said, the 2nd half of the movie just falls off the rails for me. All the stuff leading up to him becoming the boss is fine but after that it just loses me and bores me after a while.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Because it's one good performance, everyone else in the movie seems to be just ok or phoning it in or just too big. One good performance makes me separate that one performance because everyone else was just ok. Pacino is the best thing about the movie and I love the music because I love that type of music from that era and I have no problem with the basic plot because it's a simple story but it's just the execution which bugs me. Tonally the movie is all over the place at times, trying to be a serious look at a drug dealer and the situations in our country and cuba at the time that would lead to this, but then at other times it's so over the top it's comical and doesn't really know if it wants to be this serious thing or be this parody of a serious thing which means there are times when everyone feels like they're in different movies doing different things. There are times when Stone seems like he wants to condemn Tony, times where he wants to make him a saint, and other times where he just wants the audience to make their own judgement and you can't have it three ways. Peep Wolf of Wall Street: Scorsese clearly takes a stance on Jordan and the way he does that is by showing how ridiculous and over the top and insane he is and the lengths he was willing to go in order to keep his money and his business. And then in the end, he takes a few jabs at America and the American dream and our justice system etc; he has a point of view and makes sure it's consistent throughout the whole movie. Stone was too coked out to even do that.

And a lot of the dialogue is just too on the nose for me and dialogue is always something that sticks out to me in a movie because that's what I love and I know not everyone feels that way and I'm cool with that, but I just hate on the nose dialogue and like @kp404 said, the 2nd half of the movie just falls off the rails for me. All the stuff leading up to him becoming the boss is fine but after that it just loses me and bores me after a while.
you seem like a real movie buff who doesn't say "this movie entertained me, so therefore it's good"

like you really look into what the movie is trying to convey and the deeper meaning of what you just watched

i can respect that :salute: