Worst plot twist in a game ever?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Spoiler them please for people who don't know. I feel like all 5 of these are the worst of the worst.

Star Ocean III Til the End of Time
The entire series is a video game. Yeah it's true for us but the actual canon plot of all the games is a video game inside a video game. All the characters in the series are just AI and not real people in their world.

Mass Effect 3
The reapers are just tools used to reset the galaxy because supposedly synthetics will wipe out organics and the most advanced civilizations at the time of the reset are condensed into reaper form to preserve them.

Zero Time Dilemma

The antagonist is a blind, deaf, and dumb man in a wheel chair who the game barely acknowledges is there until the reveal. There is some very minor foreshadowing but it's purposely designed so you'd overlook it. He then gets up and reveals he's not blind, deaf, or dumb and he was there the whole time.

Heavy Rain
Shelby was the killer though he is a player character and doesn't give any indication of this until the reveal of the twist.

Final Fantasy VIII
We're all from the same orphanage but using guardian forces makes us forget but Irvine actually remembers cause he never used them until he met us but he says nothing because nobody else said anything.

Runner up
Final Fantasy X
Tidus, Zanarkand ,and Jecht are all summons some bat shyt crazy guy forced the people of the real Zanarkand now called the fayth to dream up to preserve his kingdom in it's glory days because his actual kingdom was going to be destroyed by a more technologically advanced one. In the end his summoning is what destroyed his kingdom when he couldn't control it.

To me all of these are horrible twist. Zero Time Dilemma might be the one that left me the most perplexed. It's also to me a lame twist that just exist for the sake of the game having a twist. It's like M. Night Shyamalan. A series known for having twist so they had to have one for the last game even if it was unimportant and lame.

The Mass Effect and Star Ocean twist might have both ruined both those series.

That Heavy Rain twist was straight up BS.

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Infamous

I hated the fact that your future self turned out to be the bad guy. Also, I hated that the "moral choices" very often yielded the same results. Trish and John die no matter what you do.

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
You forgot the "Kill my wife but don't kill her because she's my wife" aspect of the plot twist in FFVIII which was equally as bad.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Raiden was Kojimas first step into making the series goofy. He then over corrected his mistakes with raiden by over powering him and making him do some of the most ludicrous things I've seen done on screen. Metal Gear Solid starts loosely rooted in reality and becomes a magic/super power fest after the mistakes made with raiden. You can't go from such an epic character like Solid snake, and pass the baton to some corny cry baby trying to become a man on the battle field. Everything about raiden in mgs2 screams cornball and everything about raiden after mgs2 screams try hard. He goes from secret agent to bayoneta from one game to the next. I suppose in the context of this thread, the twist would be that everyone expected to play as snake for mgs2 and we ended up with raiden for 90% of the game.

Last edited:

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
To be fair, Irvine was a coward through and through, that was the point the writers tried to get at, did he have god aim? Yes, but he was never confrontational, dude froze up when the time came, if Squall wasn't there to boost his morale, he wouldn't even had fired the rifle. Also Irvine was told to shut up and just do the job. While the amnesia by GF was corny, I did enjoy the fact that there was a price to pay for such great power (which is the over-arching ideology in the game).

Heavy Rain was just too forced, I would think, as a murderer, I would be thinking about, and doing murdery things. I get the whole reveal aspect but it should've been done better, like in first person, in familiar locations.

ME3, was just dumb, to be fair after ME1 and EA joined, it all turned to shyt. The plot was so scrambled people made a cohesive indoctrination plot that made sense. Less is more in this case, and it really should've just been a classic Independence Day-We beat the aliens, story. Instead we got that garbled mess of a story.

FFX- Its all to stop Sin, who is timeless and omnipotent. Jeckt knew something no one else did; that Yuna and Tidus could stop Sin forever. So basically instead of building a wall and forming a Night's Watch and killing the same villain every 100 years, Jeckt sent the OG GOAT samurai, Auron, to "help" Tidus along the way and ultimately stop the greatest evil ever created, once and for all.

For me, nothing is a bigger slap in the face than Link's Awakening...hey guys, its all a dream!. Fukk you, lazy writers.

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
You forgot the "Kill my wife but don't kill her because she's my wife" aspect of the plot twist in FFVIII which was equally as bad.

To be fair, that's a common trope in everything, from Anime, to sitcoms, and yes even real life. Plenty of men have let murderous significant others do whatever the hell they want, without so much as a tip to the cops. Bae is bae?