"Wonka" Timothée Chalamet To Play Willy Wonka In New Origin Tale

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Cacs keep pushing him but he just doesn't have it. And in Dune he was the worst actor with zero screen presence. Because even Momoa out acted him.

I thought he was perfect in Dune. The character didn't have any presence in the first half of the book, he's a kid navigating a fukked up situation in the shadow of his father. That's why everyone keeps underestimating him. Even in the climatic halfway point scene in the book where they encounter Jamis, his mother has far more presence than he does and basically saves his ass while he makes a rookie mistake.

That has to change from literally the moment the second movie starts though, cause I expect a time jump and he's gonna come into his own and start bossing very quickly. We'll see if he can pull that off.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I would ask you if anything is better than Matilda or James and the giant peach but it's like reading FudgeOmania at 15. As good as those first three Judy Blume books (tales of a fourth grade nothing, otherwise know as Sheila the great, and superfudge) were, I'm not reading kids books as an adult.

BFG and Wonka are my clear favorites, the BFG is my daughter's favorite too. All the others kinda blend together in that they're the same style and I don't particularly like them a ton, but they're more intellectually stimulating than many children's books for a girl her age. He's dark as fukk though, the opening chapter of "Witches" is something else.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Cacs keep pushing him but he just doesn't have it. And in Dune he was the worst actor with zero screen presence. Because even Momoa out acted him.

yeah I felt I was missing the hype of Dune, yeah the movie looked good but it was boring as shyt and another messiah story lol.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
yeah I felt I was missing the hype of Dune, yeah the movie looked good but it was boring as shyt and another messiah story lol.

It's deeper than a messiah story, but you have to get a ways into the story to get the full message because it's a somewhat different point made using the Trojan Horse of a messiah story. It's impossible to know that from the first movie alone (which was only the first half of the first book in a six-book series).

And it's a little bit ambiguous how effective he is, because a lot of people are only going to read it at the superficial level and still see it as a Messiah story. I'm interested to know how well the 2nd/3rd movies will bring out the deeper theme and make it the prominent one.

BigBlackSea

All Star
Daps
I liked him in Dune. He was emotionally subdued, but it makes sense in the context of the story with his BG training.

This casting ain't it. I hate when Hollywood starts giving all roles to whichever actor is blowing up without thinking about if they might be miscast. Andrew Garfield might have good in this role, or better yet an "unknown" who's screen test did the best.

BigBlackSea

All Star
Daps
I thought he was perfect in Dune. The character didn't have any presence in the first half of the book, he's a kid navigating a fukked up situation in the shadow of his father. That's why everyone keeps underestimating him. Even in the climatic halfway point scene in the book where they encounter Jamis, his mother has far more presence than he does and basically saves his ass while he makes a rookie mistake.

That has to change from literally the moment the second movie starts though, cause I expect a time jump and he's gonna come into his own and start bossing very quickly. We'll see if he can pull that off.
I was rewatching Dune, and it's apparent to me that his demeanor does change over the course of the film.

From the opening on Caladan to the invasion on Arrakis, he just seems like a kid moving from plot point to plot point.

When they look for the Fremen and decide to go back to the sietch with them, is when he seems to have a bit more agency and drives the story.

BlackAchilles

Veteran
Daps
This movie might be good but personally I say in 2023 all these origin story prequels are beyond played out :manny:
First post had me thinking this was a dark take on WW. :russ:

Couldn’t make it through the trailer

If they make one about why he went into seclusion for all those years that could get pretty dark :lupe:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
This movie might be good but personally I say in 2023 all these origin story prequels are beyond played out :manny:

If they make one about why he went into seclusion for all those years that could get pretty dark :lupe:

They were played out with Cruella for sure, that was the worst concept that no one was asking for. This is a more interesting idea because Wonka is a beloved character but it does feel overdone and the preview makes the execution look bad.

Human Torch

Byrd Gang 🦅
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly born. PG raised

That’s why I was interested at first. A dark take would be fire.

This joint softer than baby shyt

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
F9x6jZCXkAEgTTH