WOAT Artstyle You've Seen In Gaming?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I'd prefer generic anime to the boring final fantasy shyt we've had since 13

naw....despite ff15 not being great, and the characters themselves being a bit more on the bland side (black clothes) the actual world design shyts on 98% of JRPGs. Theres a reason Final Fantasy is in a class of its own and continues to be a big franchise while the vast majority of rpg series have long died off.

468869-Final_Fantasy_XV-video_games-Altissia.jpg

633780b574743675cb669b1d1f46337be3ef9152_hq.jpg

battle04.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

2016jankeyartjpg-19c774.jpg

paul-chadeisson-inso-immigrant-wall-pc-retouch.jpg

Last edited:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
that generic anime art style in gaming was always scust to me

AAeeq6AACDAv.jpg

the games look utterly interchangeable :blink:
I actually agree with this and it's why I don't fukk RPGs like the Tales games anymore.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
I hate the snes pixel look on indie games

This is 2021, your personal computer is strong enough to create ps3 level graphics at this point, stop using indie games as your excuse

I've been seeing more and more of these making a comeback and everytime I see a new one im just like :francis: cause I can't tell if they did it because of nostalgia bait, laziness or its the trend or all three :francis:

add me too when it comes to these 2D/8-bit games :unimpressed:

Take away SNES pixel look and place it with NES/Sega Master system looking shyts and I mostly agree. It can work sometimes and be really well done (Katana Zero and Huntdown do those styles gracious justice), but I do detest games that go for that like just to be doing to it, whether it be just to be retro and pixel or to be cheap. fukk outta here with that. Gotta put some style into that shyt.
It gets really, really old and you'll notice that far too many indie devs lean on that shyt as a crutch. They're damn near as generic as AAA titles at this point.

Last edited:

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
The pixel shyt is popular with indie games because it's extremely time and cost effective. Part of why high quality sprite shyt died down after the PS1/2 era is HD made it really expensive. Once we got to HD resolution that shyt basically becomes decent animation levels of work and isn't worth it cost wise when you gotta spend money on building an entire game. Its why even 2d plane fighting games are 3D now. KOF 13 used some weird mix to get the look they did iirc but it was still expensive.

"DOT" Creation | KOF XII 2D DOT GRAPHICS GALLERY

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I hate the snes pixel look on indie games

This is 2021, your personal computer is strong enough to create ps3 level graphics at this point, stop using indie games as your excuse

I been looking for this thread/comment and randomly came across it while looking for comments on katana zero…I still hate this style (turned me off from playing dead cells after about an hour or so) but katana zero is fun enough that I can overlook it

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I been looking for this thread/comment and randomly came across it while looking for comments on katana zero…I still hate this style (turned me off from playing dead cells after about an hour or so) but katana zero is fun enough that I can overlook it
Games like Katana Zero and Huntdown does that style justice tho. Lot of indie 80's pixel art games are uninspired, which those two are exceptions to that.

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
naw....despite ff15 not being great, and the characters themselves being a bit more on the bland side (black clothes) the actual world design shyts on 98% of JRPGs. Theres a reason Final Fantasy is in a class of its own and continues to be a big franchise while the vast majority of rpg series have long died off.

468869-Final_Fantasy_XV-video_games-Altissia.jpg

633780b574743675cb669b1d1f46337be3ef9152_hq.jpg

battle04.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

2016jankeyartjpg-19c774.jpg

paul-chadeisson-inso-immigrant-wall-pc-retouch.jpg

Most of this art wasnt even from the game, and from the anime movie that takes place before the events of the game.