Wizards hire Clippers GM Michael Winger as President; Winger hires OKC VP Will Dawkins & former ATL Hawks GM Travis Schlenk to lead new front office

Is there hope in DC now?

• Total voters

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Give him carte blanche & maybe he can make something shake in 3-5 years.

They need a hard reset tho which means Beal gotta go, trade clause or not

• Dap
Reactions: Dad

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
That's because of 40 years of being a mom and pop entity.

DC is NOT a small market. It's been run like a small market for no reason.

Even Ted is waking up.

“We had several people on our wish list to interview, and when we told Michael these were some people we were talking to, he said, ‘I know them, they’re great, why don’t I see if we can bring them onto the team?’” Leonsis said. “That is not common in sports; when you hire a No. 1 person, they’re often reluctant to hire great people underneath them out of the gate because they’re insecure. Travis (Schlenk) worked in Golden State and was Michael in Atlanta, and Will (Dawkins) is an up-and-coming youn exec from a great organization. John Thompson III helped me out greatly and is being underutilized in the organization right now, and with Wes (Unseld Jr,), he comes from a program (Denver) that’s in the Finals. Overnight, I think we’ve created a front office that is really deep, but now, they have a lot of work to do. Michael is very thoughtful, but he has a lot of smart people around him, because today’s NBA is no longer a mom-and-pop business; there are big decisions with big dollars involved, putting money not just towards payroll but also towards infrastructure.”

@thewiz
@lochead
@mastermind
@ThatsRite2
@Black
@Eddie Jordan
@Mr swag
@Spree At Last
@mrken12
@Rob's al Ghul
@KBadd
@seanjohn21276
@L. Deezy
@ZEupTWN
@Guv
@KillbertArenas
@G-Zeus
@Icepick Isaacs
@Blackrogue
@VladTheImpaler
@Jack!
@PracticeMeansNothin
@Smashius Clay
@Jemmy
@Dad
@KBadd
@L&HH

I don't care that Ted is so hands off with the team, but at least hire competent people. That's been the problem with the Capitals/Wizards organization for 50 years. They get cool with someone, hire them, and then can't fire them because they feel bad for them despite what they doing not working.

Execs leave the Wizards front office and tend not to get hired anywhere else for a reason.

The Wizards should be a destination team and its been ran the exact opposite. People wanna live here and in this area and there is a lot of money here, yet its ran like we are in Memphis.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
I don't care that Ted is so hands off with the team, but at least hire competent people. That's been the problem with the Capitals/Wizards organization for 50 years. They get cool with someone, hire them, and then can't fire them because they feel bad for them despite what they doing not working.

Execs leave the Wizards front office and tend not to get hired anywhere else for a reason.

The Wizards should be a destination team and its been ran the exact opposite. People wanna live here and in this area and there is a lot of money here, yet its ran like we are in Memphis.
Exactly. Who was the last good executive? Bob Ferry? And even though he built championship contending teams, he was building treadmill teams in the 80s and then was never held accountable till he quit himself!

And it was the same with Wes Sr... and Ernie.

I am optimistic that Winger, who apparently is really well thought of, and Dawkins being a bright young exec can run this professionally. Ted talked about how they have great relationships with agents/agencies, even WOJ was at the event yesterday flying from the Finals just for that. That tells me the tides might be shifting.

DoubleJ13

Smooth sailing from here on out...
Daps
Reppin
Thunder/TSC
NBA brehs are these good hires?

OKC is usually good at drafting so im guessing the guy they got from them is good but what about the guys from the Clippers and Hawks

Can't be any worse than what they've had going on :manny:

Biggest issue with the job for an entirely new crew is figuring out what the plan ultimately is with the Beal, Kuzma, & KP core. Even if they decide to tear it down & start over they have to give Kuzma & KP deals that make sense for the trade market with a new CBA.