‘Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty’ Season 2 Thread | HBO

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Every decision since the discovery merger has been a terrible one. They are killing their brand and most don’t realize it because they think they will make money from reality shows and shyt. But what they don’t realize is nobody goes to hbo for reality tv. I’m damn sure as hell not subscribing to a streaming service to watch low brow entertainment.

I hope this decision is a result of the strike and not some executive thinking the ratings went high enough
It’s gotta be an executive. The old HBO woulda just waited until the strike was over. They’re notorious for having inconsistent releases cause the end product was always the goal. It’s why they were the best network hands down. This shyt is beyond trash. Art is dead and they capitalistic fukks are to blame.

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
It’s gotta be an executive. The old HBO woulda just waited until the strike was over. They’re notorious for having inconsistent releases cause the end product was always the goal. It’s why they were the best network hands down. This shyt is beyond trash. Art is dead and they capitalistic fukks are to blame.
This is my biggest annoyance with the “the ratings weren’t good enough” or “it cost too much to make” argument. Like why can’t critical acclaim be enough for a show to get -3-4 seasons. How do we measure ratings on the streaming era? This seems like a combination of magic and them public disapproval of the show, the writes strike and discovery being trash

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
This is my biggest annoyance with the “the ratings weren’t good enough” or “it cost too much to make” argument. Like why can’t critical acclaim be enough for a show to get -3-4 seasons. How do we measure ratings on the streaming era? This seems like a combination of magic and them public disapproval of the show, the writes strike and discovery being trash
That’s so short sighted. The backlash was turning though. The show clearly made an effort to not paint the main characters quite as badly as they did in the first season. Jerry West was toned down significantly. Magic the sex fiend was turned all the way down to 0 damn near.

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
HBO pissed me off with this one. I was enjoying this season so much and then the realization of this being the series finale at the end of the episode had me disgusted. Based on how season one started, I was hoping this would run right up until Magic’s HIV announcement.

br82186

Superstar
Daps
HBO pissed me off with this one. I was enjoying this season so much and then the realization of this being the series finale at the end of the episode had me disgusted. Based on how season one started, I was hoping this would run right up until Magic’s HIV announcement.
N-gga I wanted to see how they would portray the Pistons, Bulls, the James Worthy incident, and Magic and Buss's orgy parties.

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
N-gga I wanted to see how they would portray the Pistons, Bulls, the James Worthy incident, and Magic and Buss's orgy parties.

The Bad Boys Pistons would have been so hilarious on this show. That episode of Bird going for long walks in Indiana trying to come to terms with the fact that his window’s closed would have been amazing :wow:

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
Make a series about the Lakers called Winning time and end the series with the Lakers losing :damn:
I know there is an answer in this thread but why did they cancel this?
I mean, they stuck with Westworld for 3 seasons and nobody was watching that. Not to mention it had to have a huge production value, way bigger than winning time

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)

succession didn't really start getting popular with the masses til season 3.

season 1 was pretty slow and it hit it's stride in season 2. season 3 is when EVERYONE was watching it.

but succession was getting critically acclaimed from the jump and they never cancelled that shyt.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
Make a series about the Lakers called Winning time and end the series with the Lakers losing :damn:
I know there is an answer in this thread but why did they cancel this?
I mean, they stuck with Westworld for 3 seasons and nobody was watching that. Not to mention it had to have a huge production value, way bigger than winning time
HBO was stuck on the numbers it was bringing in even though the numbers had risen since the book author urged people to watch.

There wasn't much effort to promote by HBO and because of the strike, the actors couldn't promote it either. Combine that with the cost of the show and they couldn't wait to pull the plug.

The wild part is that they probably spent just as much to get FIVE fukkING EPISODES of The Idol.

This won't be the last show where this happens. If your show was iffy, even if the strike ends tomorrow, just go into it expecting a truncated final season.