Will Smith believes Fresh Prince fell off when Carlton wanted to kill people.

Kaypain

#SuicideGang
Supporter
Daps
jumped the shark when the felt Vivian needed to have another baby
Well wasn't that on her becoming pregnant and they didn't want to wait 9 months for her to have and baby and then get back into shape

Leao2005

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Hillary was bad. Nikkas don't know. Everybody wanted that. Look at her in Major Payne then come back and talk about it.

major-payne-lg.jpg
Looked better in Major Payne than in fresh prince

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
That all said, if Fresh Prince ever fell off, then at least the falloff was never as bad as with a lot of other sitcoms. The last couple seasons are the weakest, but there are still funny episodes in them. The show never got so bad as to be unwatchable. I can still enjoy the average Season 5-6 episode. Just not as much as Seasons 1-4.

shyt, Season 5 is my least favorite season and it has one of my favorite moments ever. After the Season 4 finale ends on the cliffhanger of Will deciding to stay in Philly, you’d think the first episode of Season 5 would resolve that with Will realizing how much he’s come to love Bel-Air and eventually deciding to return there over the course of 22 minutes.

Instead, Will gets kidnapped and forced back to Bel-Air by an NBC executive in the opening scene and then the show just goes on like none of it ever happened. :mjlol:

I read NBC wanted to cancel the show after Season 4 so that ending and the breaking the 4th Wall joke to begin Season 5 makes sense. Basically it was so popular in syndication that the local networks wanted more episodes to run in syndication:

This may have been the first TV series saved from cancellation by pleas from television station managers. The first four seasons aired in syndication after the fourth season, while the fifth season ran on NBC. The network wanted to pull the plug because the new episodes were getting a mediocre 8.6 rating, but the reruns were drawing a 7.4. The managers of the local stations thought it might be a series that people watch religiously, and watch their favorite episodes often. To avoid over-running the shows they already had (about 100, already run three times), the station managers agreed to buy the fifth and sixth seasons at a greatly inflated price, adding 50 more shows to their libraries, meaning NBC would not lose money by picking up the show.

Daps
It was a good episode, but the messaging of it always bothered me. Like why can’t carlton be a black gun owner? Black folks aren’t supposed to protect themselves? Yeah, I get it “It’s not who Carlton is”. But the man has a right to defend himself after a traumatic event. :yeshrug:
He was a known republican too :ehh:
Kinda surprised he wasn’t pro gun already.

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
:mjlol: I never thought about it until this post but Ashley really was an insufferable bytch

Wasn't the last season the season with the girl who he helped birth the baby? Or was that the season before. Something about shawty activated me. :noah:

There was an episode in the last season where a woman was giving birth on the set of Hilary's show, and Will tried taping it. Then he got punched in the face for taping it. :mjlol:

Or you mean the episode where Vanessa Williams gave birth in the limo? Because that was in season three.

I felt like Will was acting like Martin Lawrence in the last 2 seasons. It felt forced and corny.

Will definitely leaned into the overacting as the show went on. I thought it was fukking hilarious, but I could see why some people here got annoyed by it. He kinda just amplified the goofiness he already had.

It reminds me of David Schwimmer on Friends. After season four, he made Ross mentally insane. :mjlol:

I think the Shark Vault was Ashley poppin’ with “Make Up Your Mind”.

Okay Will, you wanna help your cousin. Great.
But word? You broke into the radio station and fake requested her song a bunch of times to play it out?

The bar li’l dude hit Will with still burns: “It’s weak - last week.”

Yeah.
When you can tell the show is using itself to get other ventures popping off, that’s a signal the thrill is gone.

I liked that episode, but I see what you mean. It reminded me of episodes where sitcom characters become rich and famous, but it ends up being a dream. The only problem is that this episode wasn't a dream when it should have been.

Also, even though it was two parts, it still felt rushed. Ashley only has one song and blows up to the point where she turns into an a$$hole? They spent a lot of time on the setup and just ran through the rest of it. And even though the episode is supposed to be about Ashley, it's more about Will.

At least Ashley being an a$$hole was the point of the episode, unlike later episodes where she's just irritating for no reason. And it gave us classic moments like Will getting thrown into the van by NBC, and Uncle Phil saying "WE?!" :russ:

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
The writing was bad but the plot wasn't that out there or out of character. I know at least 3 similar real life stories. Where straight laced civilian college Brehs turn shooters after a family member is gotten.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Side Note: I like how John Amos stays dropping science on all these younger brothers on the low.

In fairness, while I think the Fresh Prince maybe a season or 2 too long, it was not nearly as bad as say something like Different Strokes or something like that should have probably ended much sooner.