why were people cool w/ robert downey jr playing a character in blackface? how was this possibly...

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
I didnt care about it... He was an character actor, playing a fictional character, in a fake movie.... But no one notices he didnt break character until he had the makeup blown off...

Alot of people dont even recognize RDJ, I mean he played that to the hilt and broke the 4th wall with it. :ld:

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
I didnt care about it... He was an character actor, playing a fictional character, in a fake movie.... But no one notices he didnt break character until he had the makeup blown off...

Alot of people dont even recognize RDJ, I mean he played that to the hilt and broke the 4th wall with it. :ld:
This...cant help but think OP is trying a round about way at taking a shot at marvel with this thread..

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
Honestly....he was better than the actual black comedian in the film, and they shared the same amount of screen time. Funny is funny. Bert Williams knew that back in the day, and to some extent so do Key and Peele. For me there's nothing worse than c00ning just for money. Black face is one thing, but being an African American male and putting on a dress to shamelessly sell movies is the real problem.

You're not empowering young black men, you're making fun of a culture and belittling yourself while you're at it. At least Blackploitation films had black men as the hero and created jobs. Putting on a dress because cacs find it funny, is just completely fukked up.

:stopitslime:

Daps
Reppin
ATL paid.. Cali blazed
I didn't see the movie til it came out on DVD and I only heard about it in passing.. It was on sale back in 08 at tha fukkin QT I overhead sum nikka talkin bout how racist it was and he hated it so I had to see what tha hype was about I bought two swishers and went home and watched.. Dead ass I didn't even know dude wasn't black until the middle of tha movie and it made me laugh even harder when I realized he wasn't black..i was high as fukk when I watched it so that maybe had something to do wit it but I really couldn't tell he was white

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Because it's satire. It makes fun of both method acting and Hollywood whitewashing. Hollywood getting a white actor to play a black man, and said white actor then taking the role way too seriously is the entire joke.

The is all true.........The problem was (as it is often with satire) is that most people didn't get the joke. The best evidence of this is the fact that he actually got an Oscar nomination for the role.