Why "Self Publishing" is bad for consoles

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I know we've been hearing how great "self publishing" is since Sony announced they would be allowing it and devs all over the world rejoiced.

Form a game devs perspective self publishing and other non restrictive policies from platform holders are great. They allow you the get your game on the platform without worrying about politics/business

Form a console gamer standpoint, self publishing just allows an abundance of trash to fog up the game store standing in the way of the truly special games.

The way things are going now, the X1/PS4 online stores are gonna end up like iTunes or steam. And thats not a good thing. Your gonna have to sift through 99 copies of flappy bird, just to get to Limbo 2. The crappiest games will find tricks to make it to the top of the list, while some really good games will go unnoticed. This is somewhat acceptable for steam and mobile game customers because part of the magic is playing through the games and discovering the good ones. Console gamers have become accustomed to sitting down and playing quality games, there is no time to try out countless indie games just to make it to a good one.

I'd much rather have it where only proven/very promising games were allowed on consoles. Let them get their weight up on iphone/PC before they jump to the big time.

Seems like everyone jumped on the "self publishing" bandwagon without really thinking about what it means from a consumer standpoint.

Thoughts?:popcorn:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Sift through 99 copies? There's a search function, dumb shyt. Even on iTunes, the good shyt still floats near the top. Casual gamers will buy stupid stuff regardless if you restrict some of it. fukkoutthere :camby:

:dahell: Why you dudes always so angry.

But anyway the bolded is totally false. Go check the iTunes top 200. At least 150 of them are trash and not even worth the download. The rest are some of the most popular games I.E. angry birds, candy crush, ect. But they are not the best games.

Games like badland, ridiculous fishing, ect which we're praised as the best iphone games last year, are nowhere to be found on that list.

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ
:dahell: Why you dudes always so angry.

But anyway the bolded is totally false. Go check the iTunes top 200. At least 150 of them are trash and not even worth the download. The rest are some of the most popular games I.E. angry birds, candy crush, ect. But they are not the best games.

Games like badland, ridiculous fishing, ect which we're praised as the best iphone games last year, are nowhere to be found on that list.
When they release, they're near the top. The masses play only the most casual, repetitive games, and thus they float to the top. Most people who play games on their phones don't play games.

Tic Tac T O

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TORONTO!
I assume the indie games section on 360 is self publishing cuz theres a million Minecraft clones and mini COD clones on there. hard to find the gems. hopefully Xbox 1's indie section wont get out of hand the same way

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
When they release, they're near the top. The masses play only the most casual, repetitive games, and thus they float to the top. Most people who play games on their phones don't play games.

No they are not. Unless some publication pics them up or they do a bunch of advertising a lot of great games are lost in the sea of trash. And I don't know where you got your last assertion from, that shyt doesn't even make logical sense.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I assume the indie games section on 360 is self publishing cuz theres a million Minecraft clones and mini COD clones on there. hard to find the gems. hopefully Xbox 1's indie section wont get out of hand the same way

That's the problem. There is no indie section this time around. All games will be put in the one store

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ
No they are not. Unless some publication pics them up or they do a bunch of advertising a lot of great games are lost in the sea of trash. And I don't know where you got your last assertion from, that shyt doesn't even make logical sense.
As in, most people who play the shytty little iPhone games are not "gamers". They dont give a fukk about Limbo or Badland or real games. They wanna get on their phone while in the elevator, jump through some pipes, then turn it off. People who buy video game consoles for the most part do so to play video games, and usually good ones. Blockbusters. PSN's top downloads are mostly big named games and/or big named indie games. I'm sure the same is for XBL. And I dunno where you're pulling the bullshyt about Steam, but the top sellers are pretty much always good games on there. These people are gamers. Not moms trying to pass the time. Its not anything to be concerned about.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You really think people who frequent this forum are gonna have a problem with knowing what to search for though?

Yes. Unless you spend your day researching devs and their products you will miss out on the good games and it can, and will turn console gamers off from indie game downloads all together.

For example I thought ridiculous fishing was one of the best games released last year on any platform, yet I bet most people here have not even heard of it, let alone played it. I found it cause I wanted to play a fishing game so I searched fishing. 100s of games came up, and I got lucky and picked the right one. Had I picked I different game I'd know nothing about it

Tic Tac T O

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TORONTO!
That's the problem. There is no indie section this time around. All games will be put in the one store
then they need a better rating system or recommendation section this time around, mainly if they let it run wild like it is on 360.

One Finger Death Punch is black tar heroine btw

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
As in, most people who play the shytty little iPhone games are not "gamers". They dont give a fukk about Limbo or Badland or real games. They wanna get on their phone while in the elevator, jump through some pipes, then turn it off.
Your assertion is incorect. Most of us here have consoles and most of us here also play games on phones/tablets
People who buy video game consoles for the most part do so to play video games, and usually good ones. Blockbusters. PSN's top downloads are mostly big named games and/or big named indie games. I'm sure the same is for XBL.
I agree, and this was the case last gen, when platform holders put restrictions on who could make a game for the platform. Those restrictions are now gone. Which is what this thread is about

And I dunno where you're pulling the bullshyt about Steam, but the top sellers are pretty much always good games on there. These people are gamers. Not moms trying to pass the time. Its not anything to be concerned about.
Steam is inundated with trash just like iTunes.