why Ricans always calling themselves "Spanish"?

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
mysmilie_3283.gif

So we're just gonna ignore the fact that there was a lot of interracial relations between Africans, and Spnaiards in Cuba ansd Puerto Rico?

I know there are alot of White Cubans and Puerto Ricans but there are A WHOLE bunch of em who are "mullato"
Look at this cat trying to tell me about mullatos.:childplease: Know who you're talking to kiddo. :laff:

I was strictly talking about the "spanish looking" ones since the OP brought up "spanish". I was not discussing the black latinos who are basically mixed between enslaved africans and spaniard.

You cant tell me nothing about mullatos because half of my family (moms side) are full blown mullato that pass for white everywhere they go. Heck the history of Cuba, Venezuela and my own country (Haiti), has been the poster boy for struggle between blacks and mullatos. There is a lot of racism and hatred between the two also. Thats is why I dont always feel comfortable around my own fam because we'd go places and I'd show up and the host would question if i am part of the same party/family.

Some racist b*stards tend to refer to that in creole as "mouch tomb nan lèt la". In English that means "A fly fell in the milk" which is their way of saying someone in the mullato family (the milk) had a child with a black person (a black fly) thus the dark children.

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:ohhh: See...The Coli CAN be educational.

Even though this was another generic thread about race I learned something new. Thanks, brehs. :obama:

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Look at this cat trying to tell me about mullatos.:childplease: Know who you're talking to kiddo. :laff:

I was strictly talking about the "spanish looking" ones since the OP brought up "spanish". I was not discussing the black latinos who are basically mixed between enslaved africans and spaniard.

You cant tell me nothing about mullatos because half of my family (moms side) are full blown mullato that pass for white everywhere they go. Heck the history of Cuba, Venezuela and my own country (Haiti), has been the poster boy for struggle between blacks and mullatos. There is a lot of racism and hatred between the two also. Thats is why I dont always feel comfortable around my own fam because we'd go places and I'd show up and the host would question if i am part of the same party/family.

Some racist b*stards tend to refer to that in creole as "mouch tomb nan lèt la". In English that means "A fly fell in the milk" which is their way of saying someone in the mullato family (the milk) had a child with a black person (a black fly) thus the dark children.

::comeon: breh, you said Cubans and P.ricans are mostly of spanish descent and look whiter than mexicans though :mjpls:

Thats why I brought mullatos up...

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
::comeon: breh, you said Cubans and P.ricans are mostly of spanish descent and look whiter than mexicans though :mjpls:

There's not as many mulattoes as you think in those islands. Sure their presence is clearly known in the population but both PR and Cuba are still largely segregated into black and white populations. And that Native blood y'all keep talking about was already wiped out long before the blacks were brought to those islands.

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love

Again. I was speaking of the non black Puerto-ricans and Cubans. They are the ones who typically define themselves as "white" or "spanish". Aint no black borriqua who knows his history gonna utter the words "i'm spanish"

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love

There's not as many mulattoes as you think in those islands. Sure their presence is clearly known in the population but both PR and Cuba are still largely segregated into black and white populations. And that Native blood y'all keep talking about was already wiped out long before the blacks were brought to those islands.

Yup!

Tho, there were still some left in Hispañola (now Haiti and DR) when the african slaves arrived. They worked side by side with the blacks until they were pretty much gone.
That is why when the African slaves revolted in the west side of the island (now Haiti) and defeated Leclerc they decided to name the new country HAITI (pronounced AH-YEE-TEE) in honor of the indigenous people who were no longer there since it was their land that Columbus took and renamed Hispanola.The indigenous people always called the land "Haïti Quisqueya MBoyo".

And now you know where the name Haïti came from. Dont ever say I didnt teach ya'll anything