Why isn't DJ Quik a bigger deal

L68

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
why was Everlast diss verse on let u have it not on retail?

Palm Tree's & Blunts

Big timah timah
Daps
My Nikka....:usure:

That beat sounds like something 100 Miles and Running NWA would have rhymed over.

But to each is own.....Tim Dog never properly responded to Quik or Dre so he fell into irrelevance..I mean he did respond but no one cared.

*cranks up "fukk Compton" on the computer speakers for the memories*

:dj2:

what made him diss compton?
Did he just wake up one day and say fukk it i'm going to diss them?? :mjlol:

Seems like he was just trying to create a buzz ..

Last edited:

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
why was Everlast diss verse on let u have it not on retail?
The og safe n sound with the alternate versions of dollar n sense..was all done at Quik's house

He brought em to death row for the final mix down...

By then the beef wit hop n quik was squashed...no need for it...

Mr. 1nighter

On my grown man steeze
Daps
Reppin
Columbus
what was the DJ Quik beat that stood out the most in the 90's??

:jbhmm:

Dre got numerous stand out beats...Eric Sermon too....Preemo, Havoc, Rza and Pete Rock.

What DJ Quik beat was the #1 over the top beat that hip hop acknowledged in the 90's cuz I dont remember. I'm talking about a beat Hip Hop audeinces acknowledged...Not something on an album that u have to be a fan to know.
Tonight? Jus like Compton?... c'mon dog stop it!

Daps
Are u kidding me.....I was listening to that shyt like a few months ago.....That sinister sound.:whew:

Wait which song u talking about "fukk Compton" or "Step To Me"???...."Step To me" is the one where he dissed Quik. He doesnt mention Quik on "Fukk Compton." I'll agree that "Step To me" does sound dated but "fukk Compton" is still sick.

I remember being a kid and wondering if this was real....did they really beat Quiks ass and record it...LOL

Lol don't know if they beat Quiks ass, but I do know that Quik did get his ass beat by Everlast/Danny Boy, and got molly whopped in Denver and San Antonio.

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Also he never had a valuable protege like how Dre had Snoop, or Timbo had Ginuwine/Missy, or Pharrell had Timberlake.

But he's definitely top 10 producers regardless

This quik hate in this thread is crazy disrespectful

"he didnt have a Shook Ones or a T.R.O.Y."

what the fukk does that even mean

those can be reasons why he wasnt bigger in the mainstream but to use that statement as to why he's not a great producer is dumb

you do realize that the bolded is what this thread is about right?

nobody is hating. some of you guys are thinking too much with your hearts, instead of thinking rationally.

Again, he got love everywhere except NY.

That's not just "down south."

Whether someone got play in NY or not before '98 has no bearing on their worth as an artist.

nikkas was crabs.

why do yall always singles out new York?

theres plenty of other places where quik got no burn.

edit: I'm not from new York.

Last edited:

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I was 14 or 15 when rthymalism came out, and when I listened to it that first time, that shyt went completely over my head

I couldn't fully comprehend it...this was 98...I was still deep in the mid 90s g funk...pac dead 2 years...but I was going back and copping records I didn't hear in full when they came out, cuz now I had money since I was working

my ears weren't developed for that album, revisited it when I was 18 and I was blown away
Same for me that shyt was too musical and funky kept it in the stash and loved it later

Antiquity

All Star
Daps
I think it has to do with the fact that his sound is more influenced by Funk than it is Hip Hop. His lane is RnB judging by his beats. Quik's production reminds me of Roger and Zapp or Parliament. He makes laid back Funk music whereas his contemporaries such as Dre and Warren G know how to produce laid back Hip Hop tracks. I think Quik's natural element is 70's influenced RnB tracks. He's always been old-school.

I also think that his rapping voice was unmarketable. It was identical to Eazy's. He needed to come up with his own unique sound rather than using Eazy's.
We have to take into account that he is a literal nutjob :lolbron: He likely could've never been a big producer because the moment he gets along with someone he's ready to fight them. How can you be a big producer if you get along with absolutely no one? He's clowned Dre and Suge in interviews and then praised them in the next interviews. Remember when he accused Andre 3K of telling everyone that he had AIDS?