Why is it so important for rappers to be "about that life"

egolessindigo

G O H A R D
Daps
Reppin
N E W W O R L D N Y
Cause nikkas are fukking liars out Here b, and there's some nikkas that really made a million selling dope and washed it through the rap laundromat, to achieve that feet is and not get caught is amazing, when nikkas lie in their bars you can tell, just be about the shyt you boast about, if not make the clear distinction that your verse is fiction and serves a higher creative purpose of some sort

Deflatedhoopdreams

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Rucker
That's why I love when rappers rap about their "real" life stories. Like when Budden be spittin' about his past life and how he feels about things on a day to day basis. Or his past being in the streets and doing drugs and stealing from his moms and shyt.

The fake shyt is what it is. I listen to it as fake shyt. Like Ross, his shyt bangs hard as shyt and what he says sounds good, no matter if he did that shyt or not.

distinguishing between what's real and what's not is what makes listening to hiphop is about to me now a days.

Deflatedhoopdreams

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Rucker
That's what I like about Lupe's "Food and Liquor" and "The Cool" albums. He was telling a story about a kid/person in the streets. he wasn't saying "I do this" or "I do that" he was telling the street story, and not saying he was about that life

28 Gramz

How U Luv That???
Daps
Reppin
Tre-4,North Carolina
:rudy:

Every rapper has that type of cat talking about him. Now....would this broke fakkit be saying these things if Ice Cube was still taking care of him?

:umad: Monster didn't speak down on Cube on some money issue shyt, he's just callin it like it is..Cube was never a G but he portrayed like he was in the streets like that. Alotta other LA nikkas have said the same shyt.

Peruvian Connect

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ice Cube was a college student in the NWA era
Snoop prob bought his way in + was used for publicity, like Jim Jones + Wayne
Nas himself admitted he wasn't about that life

Snoop was a drug dealer, gang member. He did like two years before rap. Then he caught that body as a rapper, spin that however you want.

Nas is humble. Dude admits to busting his gun and selling drugs, he just uses a different spin. I was scared, i only sold when I needed money.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:umad: Monster didn't speak down on Cube on some money issue shyt, he's just callin it like it is..Cube was never a G but he portrayed like he was in the streets like that. Alotta other LA nikkas have said the same shyt.
Who is this "Lotta other cats" comprised of ? Either way listen to cubes
Music. He never claimed to gang bang or sell crack, always portrayed himself
As someone who wasn't a punk.

Omerta

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OZ via El Barrio
It doesn't matter if Ice Cube was in college. That's a good thing.

The realness of Cube comes in with everything he was doing with NWA. You don't think he was in situations with NWA? He was hanging around Eazy motherfukking E. You could get Mother Theresa to roll with Eazy, and she'd find problems and get into ordeals. Even if Ice Cube's actions before his music weren't reflective of his life, his life when making that music was genuine.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No, no and hell no

Ice Cube was a college student in the NWA era

Okay AND ?
Suge Knight will probably knock your teeth loose and rob you
of all your belongings yet dude went to college.
Being Hard doesn't equate to being an idiot.
As for Cube his music was typically about what was going on in South Central
LA.
And guess what ?
that sh1t was REALLY happening around him.
He never claimed any gangs.
He never claimed to have done things such as selling drugs.

Snoop prob bought his way in + was used for publicity, like Jim Jones + Wayne

Ummm NO.
Snoop served time AND was in a gang long before he was rapping.
:smh:

Nas himself admitted he wasn't about that life

When did this happen ?
:popcorn:
WTF does being "About that life" consist of anyways ?
He was a broke kid from the projects hustling drugs.
Sh1t is realer than most.
Yeah he ain't a super thug rappin about murdering a small village
but Nas was never "about that" if that's what you mean.

Bruh if that McDonalds dude can paint vivid pictures and make entertaining music who cares?

How can you paint a vivid picture of some sh1t you never been around ? :usure:
Why not just keep it real and rap about having a sh!tty @ss 9 to 5 ?
It screams "I'm not an artist I'm a copy cat rappin about sh1t I'd shed tears around".
Being "Real" consists of rapping about REAL stuff that you've been through as an artist or have seen first hand.
At least he won't have to get his weight tested by somebody that's really in the street like that and turn into an industry joke like Yung berg.
Or get his fvcking Tour Bus shot up and put lives in Jeopardy like Tyga.

Ross, real :heh: He insists he is some kind of kingpin but denies actually being a CO, despite the dearth of evidence supporting the former and the litany of evidence supporting the latter... he is the opposite of "real", I dont care who cosigns him. But his shyt bangs :manny:
:beli:

I never said Ross is real.

Im just imagining a bunch of grown men standing on the corner arguing about whether Rick Ross actually knows the real Noriega. Like how stupid can you be?

What does this have to do with anything ?

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
cuz when you look like a green haired troll and saying youre the baddest bytch,...it would be nice not to lie and actually tell people how much money you have invested in botox, silicone and juvaderm under your skin and 2 new grills in your mouth.
:yeshrug:
you aint bad.. youre the bytch of frankenstein making fraudulent $$ off naive people and telling them youre real and bad.

Nicki somewhere :win:

You still here :noah:

:umad:

flipn50

Pro
Daps
I'm bout dat life. Once in a while I watch Friday and smoke Camel Crush.

Hannibal Fox

Eetwidomayloh
Daps
Reppin
Death To Spookism

How can you paint a vivid picture of some sh1t you never been around ?
:usure:

6a00d8341c562c53ef0168e498a893970c-800wi.jpg

:beli:

DOUBLE UP

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Johannesburg (South Africa)
:ehh:

:yes:

I'll keep it funky... I would rather listen to Raekwon rap about slapboxing his Yugoslavian connect than Kid Cudi cry about his mom having to work late

But then again College Dropout was a classic, whereas Gunplay is corny as fukk to me

Really it comes down to the music... if you make shyt thats good and are interesting to listen to, it doesnt matter if youre "real" or "bout that life". Trash is trash

:pachaha: