Why is it so important for rappers to be "about that life"

Daps
I used to hate on Ross for a lot of that shyt but ultimately it doesnt matter

Even "back when rap was real", it wasn't real. Dudes have been lying since NWA at the latest.

The reason I made this thread is because of the thread questioning the "realism" of Waka. "I got family that says hes not real" Who gives a shyt? People put too much stock in shyt rappers say. If you like the music, fukk with it. If you don't, shut the fukk up.

LOL...you prolly found out your favorite rapper is a fake, soft as baby shyt fakkit and now :umad: and trying to justify why you listen to soft fakkit sh!t :yeshrug:

dre

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY/DC
Vicarious living. That's what a lot of people want from their music...just like any other entertainment genre, but Hip Hop just has the wires crossed because rappers can't decide if "it's just entertainment" or "they're the realest nikka alive".

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
LOL...you prolly found out your favorite rapper is a fake, soft as baby shyt fakkit and now :umad: and trying to justify why you listen to soft fakkit sh!t :yeshrug:
Naw my favorite rapper is in prison for life for being a fukking idiot

Thats the other side... if a rapper is about that life its only a matter of time before they go in, then they stop making music, which is an L for the fans

I dont give a shyt, if it sounds good I rock with it regardless of how "real" it is

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
interwebs

:ehh:

The sad part is that if a rapper isn't about that life and isn't about rapping about that life. nikkas consider them boring (Kendrick Lamar, BIG KRIT, Currency, J.Cole)

When in reality they keep it more real than all those fake gangster rappers.. :manny:

:yes:

I'll keep it funky... I would rather listen to Raekwon rap about slapboxing his Yugoslavian connect than Kid Cudi cry about his mom having to work late

But then again College Dropout was a classic, whereas Gunplay is corny as fukk to me

Really it comes down to the music... if you make shyt thats good and are interesting to listen to, it doesnt matter if youre "real" or "bout that life". Trash is trash

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
The ones who really are "about that life" are usually:

1- aspiring terrible rappers who end up gettin' locked up for doin' dumb shyt.

2- aspiring rappers who can rap but get locked up and spend their life wondering why they didn't try to use their talent instead of doin' dumb shyt.

3- rappers with deals who get locked up for doin' dumb shyt anyway, ause they were just that dumb.

As a listener, that kinda stuff only matters when you're a kid/teen and don't know any better. Once you figure out that rap music is JUST THAT most of the time, shyt like that starts to matter less and less to you. Or at least it should.

If "Not bein' about that life" was a REAL discredit to rappers, a lot of the best MCs of all time woulda never stood a chance. A LOT of 'em. That's not to say that they were all straight up soft and couldn't handle themselves, but they weren't all that shyt they said on those records.

Hannibal Fox

Eetwidomayloh
Daps
Reppin
Death To Spookism
In all honesty any rapper who is abouit that life really wouldn't talk about it like that, I mean half these rappers who talk about shifting huge quantities of white have probably sold a few grams here and there, they just exagerate and some surround themselves with that kind of element.

The co-opting of hip hop and rap in particular by corporate entities has allowed, them to create a false image of rappers, who can then relay that to rap fans who are none the wiser, who are willing to suspend disbelief and who are willing to shell out copious amounts of funds to support that music.

You couldn't afford to be partaking in actual criminal activities and your up on the mic telling on yourself.

This is a hoodlum:

13621439_ori.jpg

This is not:

Rick%20Ross.jpg

This shyt is only important to you if you have been seduced by society's constantly fluctuating fascination with those type of characters.

See the thing is the labels know what it is, they are only too happy to profit off of your ignorance and pain, while at the same time condemning and distancing themselves from the very thing they sell you.

Look at Jimmy Henchmen don't think for one moment that every major label executive he came into contact with didn't know what was up.

IT'S A GAME.

raw613

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
602 via 410
The ones who really are "about that life" are usually:

1- aspiring terrible rappers who end up gettin' locked up for doin' dumb shyt.

2- aspiring rappers who can rap but get locked up and spend their life wondering why they didn't try to use their talent instead of doin' dumb shyt.

3- rappers with deals who get locked up for doin' dumb shyt anyway, ause they were just that dumb.

As a listener, that kinda stuff only matters when you're a kid/teen and don't know any better. Once you figure out that rap music is JUST THAT most of the time, shyt like that starts to matter less and less to you. Or at least it should.

If "Not bein' about that life" was a REAL discredit to rappers, a lot of the best MCs of all time woulda never stood a chance. A LOT of 'em. That's not to say that they were all straight up soft and couldn't handle themselves, but they weren't all that shyt they said on those records.

ya, while it comes off looking funny if cats rap about the polar opposite of what they are of course there is some creative license too, but the way i feel about this is.Igenerally feel it most if someone isn't a caricature of either extreme. People tend to be more 3 dimensional than all that and usually so do good artists.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ice cube was real.
Snoop was actually apart of a gang so yes he's real.
Nas was actually dealing drugs so yes he's real.

Its not that dudes have to be "about that life" its that
they're spittin blatant bullshyt instead of just being real about
it. Its corny when I hear a dude who works a 9 to 5 at McDonald's
rappin about poppin Cris and moving tons of coke.

I know Rick Ross doesn't know the real Noriega but he's
clearly associated with real street dudes. He's getting blessings
and props from dudes who aren't getting a damn thing out of it.

With that said being real doesn't mean being street.

Pazzy

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
if people do that nowadays such as in the last decade, it's because they have no talent. back in the day, people used the whole street credibility bullsh!t loosely as an incentive to get ignorant motherf*ckers to listen to their music. things were that bad back then where you actually needed to be a criminal for people to give your music a listen or to sell a record or two. the good thing is that nowadays, the walls have come down but at the same time, the standards in regards of talent has come down also so it seems like everybody can get a name in this rap sh!t. we've moved forward but have dumbed down.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Your favorite rapper is Max B?

:krs:

:gladbron::lolbron::pachaha::russ:

:scusthov:

:pacspit:

:manny:

Who should be my favorite rapper? Drake? 2Chainzzzzz? Fabolous? People like what they like. Max' catalog shyts on damn near anybody out now, and for what its worth he has the criminal background to back it up

Ice cube was real.
Snoop was actually apart of a gang so yes he's real.
Nas was actually dealing drugs so yes he's real.
No, no and hell no

Ice Cube was a college student in the NWA era
Snoop prob bought his way in + was used for publicity, like Jim Jones + Wayne
Nas himself admitted he wasn't about that life

Its not that dudes have to be "about that life" its that
they're spittin blatant bullshyt instead of just being real about
it. Its corny when I hear a dude who works a 9 to 5 at McDonald's
rappin about poppin Cris and moving tons of coke.

I know Rick Ross doesn't know the real Noriega but he's
clearly associated with real street dudes. He's getting blessings
and props from dudes who aren't getting a damn thing out of it.

With that said being real doesn't mean being street.

Bruh if that McDonalds dude can paint vivid pictures and make entertaining music who cares?

Ross, real :heh: He insists he is some kind of kingpin but denies actually being a CO, despite the dearth of evidence supporting the former and the litany of evidence supporting the latter... he is the opposite of "real", I dont care who cosigns him. But his shyt bangs :manny:

Im just imagining a bunch of grown men standing on the corner arguing about whether Rick Ross actually knows the real Noriega. Like how stupid can you be?