Why is it so important for rappers to be "about that life"

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
:stopitslime:

don't nobody give a fukk about that shyt anymore. these young dudes could care less if their favorite rapper is kissing other men, getting robbed, bytching on twitter or is "about that life"

aRoMaN21

over 14 years in the shade...
Daps
cuz when you look like a green haired troll and saying youre the baddest bytch,...it would be nice not to lie and actually tell people how much money you have invested in botox, silicone and juvaderm under your skin and 2 new grills in your mouth.
:yeshrug:
you aint bad.. youre the bytch of frankenstein making fraudulent $$ off naive people and telling them youre real and bad.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
I think it was the realness of the stories.
It's okay to rap soft if you're a soft dude, but it's not okay to talk tough if you're soft.

But somewhere along the line the line between being a narrator and telling the stories of your life got mixed. Like everyone knows Raekwon basically is telling made up stories when he's talking about Chinese delegates or whatever the fukk, he's being a narrator. And we all understand that. But then we have someone like Rick Ross, who cut the middleman and squashed together narrating and his life stories. Which makes him a lier and this has been happening since the early 90s with a lot of these cats dropping classic music and since these dudes made so good music, it was hard to not fukk with it. But I understand if certain people like street dudes might care.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
That is what sells.

All these "this generation sucks/soft" are in love with 90s because they rapped about "that life"

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Cause they rap like they are about that life.

When you find out they not, it tends to take something out of their music :manny:

The better question would be, why is it so hard for rappers to be themselves?
I used to hate on Ross for a lot of that shyt but ultimately it doesnt matter

Even "back when rap was real", it wasn't real. Dudes have been lying since NWA at the latest.

The reason I made this thread is because of the thread questioning the "realism" of Waka. "I got family that says hes not real" Who gives a shyt? People put too much stock in shyt rappers say. If you like the music, fukk with it. If you don't, shut the fukk up.

Day_Walker

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
cuz when you look like a green haired troll and saying youre the baddest bytch,...it would be nice not to lie and actually tell people how much money you have invested in botox, silicone and juvaderm under your skin and 2 new grills in your mouth.
:yeshrug:
you aint bad.. youre the bytch of frankenstein making fraudulent $$ off naive people and telling them youre real and bad.
Again with this shyt.
At least admit you're jealous of nicki minaj and is why you're always bringing her up

Another Man

Trappin w/ Benzino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Red Roof Inn
Because some of us arent cacs that look at this as just entertainment

Oh so anyone who looks at the music as entertainment only is a cac?

So I take it people are cacs if they claim that wrestling's fake? I guess to be black you have to take the shyt seriously and live vicariously through the music. That includes crime, spending beyond your means, and living recklessly.

Or...maybe, it could be possible...that the person has a mentality past that of a teenager and takes the music for what it really is? You sound like a second childhood ass nikka.

It's stupid fukks like you that reaffirm white supremacist stereotypes. :stopitslime:

Coach Gully

Much Respect
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Icey Management
Because some people live in a fantasy world thinking all that shyt is fun and games.

It truly is entertainment and if anyone doesn't know this in 2012 and swearing thats "the life" and the only way to be real because some dude says so..

SuburbanPimp

Giving game to lames since the 90s
Daps
Reppin
In Dallas, From Cleveland
Its only important if a rapper uses all they songs to tell you they are about that life. The fact that a rapper can't find anything else to rap about is dissappointing these days.

I can say that in 2012 I honestly think 0 rappers are about that life for real.

There are rappers in the game that used to be, but as far as currently.. None