Why don't apple desktops sell better?

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
what do you mean by sell well?
a MacBook laptop has the same specifications except for the really expensive Mac pros
for most people it makes sense to buy the laptop and those apple display monitors

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
But on the real, its hard to market compared to the Macbook. It sucks because the desktops actually have a slight more power and convenience, than the Macbook. Especially the Mac Mini.

Plus, you are technically saving money with the desktop as they have all the fukking PORTS and you can easily get a cheap monitor, kb and m (Mac Mini), or the entire thing out the box.

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
Windows is dominant. Macs run macOS. For it to be a single company making the OS and hardware, they're doing really well. If they spun off their Mac division that company would be a Fortune 500 company in itself.

Unfiltered

The Dan Bongino Show (Mon. – Fri. 12p-3p ET)
Daps
Most desktop sales are sold to businesses not consumers and corporate America runs Windows not Mac.
businesses will pay more for hardware but probably less issues with cybersecurity as Apple has much less but then again if Apple is dominating the corporate world, they'll have the same issues Windows has with security.

but the interface is easier and usually runs a little faster on older hardware, it's a win, win IMO just need to get the higher startup cost.

But I'm old enough to remember XP in 2001 and the disaster that was in corporate America.

Also factor in since it's basically Unix, ah nevermind I didn't think it through, it will cost companies a grip and apple will probably try to kill open distros of linux many companies use for their backend servers.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
businesses will pay more for hardware but probably less issues with cybersecurity as Apple has much less but then again if Apple is dominating the corporate world, they'll have the same issues Windows has with security.
I don't think it has anything to do with security, it's software compatibility. The majority of the software that's written for the enterprise isn't written to run on Macs. Plus corporate America is just now starting to take security seriously, but that's because of external pressures like PCI, FISMA, and HITRUST (plus the rise of ransomware).
but the interface is easier and usually runs a little faster on older hardware, it's a win, win IMO just need to get the higher startup cost.

But I'm old enough to remember XP in 2001 and the disaster that was in corporate America.
I'm 20 years in IT, what disaster was there in corporate America from going to XP? XP on the Desktop ran really well, especially once SP2 came out and Server 2003 was pretty solid. We migrated our environment from NT/Novell to 2003 AD domain and had very little problems.

The only OS I'd call a disaster was Windows Vista.
Also factor in since it's basically Unix, ah nevermind I didn't think it through, it will cost companies a grip and apple will probably try to kill open distros of linux many companies use for their backend servers.
Apple has never been B2B. All of their products and services are geared to consumers vs Microsoft which heavily targets corporate clients (Windows Server, Exchange, SQL, O365, Sharepoint, etc).

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
Price.

Limited software relative to Windows.

Legacy: companies and governments and shyt aren’t willing to invest the time and resources to switch their users to a new operating system.
lot of that software isn't compatible either, also linking Mac's up via Active Directory is a pain. Most of those desktops are for graphic design purposes, you can have slightly more leeway with the laptops.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I don't think it has anything to do with security, it's software compatibility. The majority of the software that's written for the enterprise isn't written to run on Macs. Plus corporate America is just now starting to take security seriously, but that's because of external pressures like PCI, FISMA, and HITRUST (plus the rise of ransomware).

I'm 20 years in IT, what disaster was there in corporate America from going to XP? XP on the Desktop ran really well, especially once SP2 came out and Server 2003 was pretty solid. We migrated our environment from NT/Novell to 2003 AD domain and had very little problems.

The only OS I'd call a disaster was Windows Vista.

Apple has never been B2B. All of their products and services are geared to consumers vs Microsoft which heavily targets corporate clients (Windows Server, Exchange, SQL, O365, Sharepoint, etc).

I have no idea what this man said but all I know its the truth :salute:

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
If you're an artist working from home chances are you have an apple desktop.

If you're anyone else you saw the price tag and reacted like this:
tumblr_lp1unrOdGg1qaclw9.gif

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
Also I still haven't heard a good reason why Apple hasn't entered the gaming space. Especially desktop gaming.

Don't tell me they couldnt partner up with AMD and shake shyt up at a super premium