WHY doesnt USA use Kilometer and other measurements?

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
You guys missed the point in that episode.
USA is in the northern hemisphere, Australia is in the southern hemisphere.
It's a hemisphere thing, not a national thing.

i just love the simpsons breh. whenever I can reference them, I will. I don't really care about how toilets spins

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
shizzit's complex :hubie:

Screenshot-2022-11-16-at-15-36-26.png

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
its because of the english gravitational constant
In the English Engineering system of units, Newton’s second law is modified to include a gravitational constant, gc, which is equal to 32.2 lbm-ft/lbf-s2.

In this system, mass is given in pounds-mass (lbm), acceleration is given in feet per second-squared (ft/s2), and force is given in pounds-force (lbf). To see why the gravitational constant is needed, let’s look at the units of the force equation using the EE system:

F = m * a / gc

F = (lbm * ft/s2) / (lbm-ft/lbf-s2) = lbf

Note that the gravitational constant, gc, provides consistency in the units.

When we apply this special form of Newton’s second law to a typical application with acceleration due to gravity of approximately 32.2 ft/s2, we find that 1 lbm produces a force (or weight) of 1 lbf.

F = m * a / gc

F = 1 lbm * 32.2 ft/s2 / (32.2 lbm-ft/lbf-s2)

F = 1 lbf

The important thing to note here is that for most applications (i.e. those where gravity is estimated at 32.2 ft/s2), one pound-mass (lbm) can be assumed to have a force (weight) of one pound-force (lbf).

its complicated but the "standard" of many measurements is more important than the units associated with it. only extremely nerdy people will understand this. Mass and Force (Weight) are not the same.

MMS

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
it "looks" better but thats about it

in terms of how functional it is for engineers is another story

thats why most engineers still use english units for many systems. Things like distance, area, volume work out better but thats really it.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Costs too much to change the infrastructure at this point. My job has a metrification manual from the late 90s/early 00s that clearly went nowhere

MMS

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
The imperial system is way better for height than metric imo. 5'10 is way easy to understand than whatever the fukk the metric equivalent is.
centimeters

even though they have base 10 for everything, the same units end up being used anyways

i remember coming out of elementary school wondering where the decimeters at?