Why doesn't Spike Lee get more credit for jumpstarting the careers of so many actors?

mr x

Superstar
Daps
I remember the editing was really, really bad, to the point all the action looked clumsy. There was no realism in the fight scenes whatsoever either, the final battle was like some COD no scoping shyt. Other than that I didn't have too many complaints with, except maybe the title didn't make that much sense since the "Miracle" I guess was the boy surviving the massacre, except the massacre overshadows it so much they might as well have called it The Massacre At St Anna.

Thanks.

It's been a while. I'll have to eventually watch it again.

Ol’Otis

The Picasso of the Ghetto
Daps
Reppin
South Central Los Angeles
He doesn't c00n and he lets ALL them Cacs in the industry know about themselves.

Spike Lee has, unarguably been the BIGGEST advocate for Black Excellence in the film industry in both his films and real life actions. Spike Lee wouldn't know how to c00n if Tyler Perry offered him tickets to his next Madea film....
If no one will say it I will he hasn't done a good movie since inside man. Miracle on st anna, old boy, sweet blood of Jesus and chi-raq (I hear it was bad) were all well below what he's capable of. He's gone the way of De Palma, stone, ridley (haven't seen Martian) and them. He can't just get a pass because he's black, he can do better
I'll say his last good one was he got game

Ukbrotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Naija, London, Earth
Spike has had some duds but he'll always get a pass with me. Maybe it's because I'm not American but I didn't get the problem people had with chi-raq. It was an enjoyable flick. Admittedly, da sweet blood.. was really bad to me but I thought old boy was pretty good. Obviously not as good as the original but it was a good flick to me.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Not judging but can you explain how his oldboy can be considered a good movie when it was almost exactly like the original shot for shot with some minor changes in story?

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That's the great thing about rewatching his underappreciated filmography:salute:

...you see early faces (and old: Ossie & Rubie:rip:) of BLACKEXCELLENCE:blessed:

Made me lean out my Window
Knew the scene from the Get Go
But Spike Lee was my hero

:myman:

Last edited:

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Spike Lee was arguably the defining director of my lifetime. I came up in the 80's and 90's and Spike Lee really wrote nuanced pictures of what it was like to be Black in American against the face of White Supremacy and even what it was like to Black amongst other Blacks and the dimensions involved in that. Unfortunately I think Spike lost sight of that and he became arguably too combative to the point where it has hurt his career. As someone who has worked in TV for over almost 20 years, a lot insiders/actors have great respect for Spike and he in a lot of ways belongs up there with the DePalmas, and the Scorceses of the world, but Spike has been very contentious and has burned a lot of bridges with his abrasive personality. If you look at his Filmography Spike's movies have generally been pretty successful, he can make a box office hit and even his smaller film are positive earners and so well in the video/market. Yet he has to essentially fund his own endeavors. Spike Lee does stay true to himself though and that is something you don't see often, so he'll always have my respect.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Spike Lee is criminally underrated

His movies are always very well put together, entertaining, and thought provoking

And yes, he gave lots of actors a shot early in their careers when they were relatively unknown
you have never seen girl 6, she hate me, miracle on st Anna

Have you