Why doesn't Spike Lee get more credit for jumpstarting the careers of so many actors?

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Spike is too hit or miss for me, but in what universe don't blacks give Spike credit? Maybe the under 25 crowd, but their view on movies sucks anyway so who gives a shyt what they think...

And for those in the know, know he put mad people on. He stay putting white people on or rejuvenating their careers, who he has an apparent disdain for...

John Turturro
Milla Jovovich
Annabella Sciorra
Adrien Brody
Ellen Barkin
Monica Belluci
Danny Aiello

And that's just white actors

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
Spike is in a weird place career-wise right now. He probably should have stuck with the mainstream studio stuff for a bit longer (25th Hour, Inside Man), but I think he's an artist and just wanted to go and do his own shyt again.

Do The Right Thing is a genuinely historical film though...that'll live forever, long after he's gone.

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
When you think about it, how many black artists on a major platform don't put people on? In Living Color alone.... i think it's just how we do. No one acknowledges Keenan Ivory Wayans for that shyt and he did the same thing...

At least back in the day it was that way. Eddie Murphy? Harlem nights? et cetera. Nowadays muhfukkas get on and do them, from acting to music...

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
it's because he's black and don't take shyt from no one. that's why

white hollywood don't wanna give a brother like spike lee his credit because they are intimidated by his intelligence and envy his talent as a director; that's why they try to shyt on him and ignore him every chance they get but spike still marches forward does his thing no matter what. you gotta love that (him doin' his thing) or at least respect that, because he follows his heart no matter what and speaks his mind, stands up for what he believes him and keeps it movin'

This.

Generally I think the film industry at large has just thought it better to stay away from him, because he might call them out on some shyt if they give him a platform.

Someone mentioned the White actors Spike has worked with. He was doing back then what they like to market as "Diversity", now.

Sure he might have cast a bunch of them in the roles of oppressors and bad guys, but those cheques were good, right? :jawalrus:

Last edited:

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
When you think about it, how many black artists on a major platform don't put people on? In Living Color alone.... i think it's just how we do. No one acknowledges Keenan Ivory Wayans for that shyt and he did the same thing...

At least back in the day it was that way. Eddie Murphy? Harlem nights? et cetera. Nowadays muhfukkas get on and do them, from acting to music...
Yup. Ice Cube has jumpstarted a ton of careers too through the Friday series

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Spike is too hit or miss for me, but in what universe don't blacks give Spike credit? Maybe the under 25 crowd, but their view on movies sucks anyway so who gives a shyt what they think...

And for those in the know, know he put mad people on. He stay putting white people on or rejuvenating their careers, who he has an apparent disdain for...

John Turturro
Milla Jovovich
Annabella Sciorra
Adrien Brody
Ellen Barkin
Monica Belluci
Danny Aiello

And that's just white actors
Adrien Brody's only noticeable role before Summer of Sam came the year before in The Thin Red Line.

A few years after Summer of Sam, Brody would become the youngest Best Actor winner of all time in The Pianist.

Nobody really was up on him like that until Spike Lee cast him

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
This.

Generally I think the film industry at large has just thought it better to stay away from him, because he might call them out on some shyt if they give him a platform.

Someone mentioned the White actors Spike has worked with. He was doing back then what they like to market as "Diversity", now.

Sure he might have cast a bunch of them in the roles of oppressors and bad guys, but those cheques were good, right? :jawalrus:

yeah

y que

Banned
Daps
chi-raq got the love it deserved

spike lee went back to being a whiny b*tch though

back to the drawing board

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps
why does spike get so much hate?

Mostly because of the way he is. He comes off as an unforgiving a$$hole and that doesn't sit right with people. I don't know or care about his personality, the man's a good filmmaker when he's on. He has a distinct personality behind the camera and I can respect that. Malcolm X is one of the best biopics to ever be filmed. I didn't really like Do The Right Thing but that's because I'm biased against Spike Lee the actor.

I'm just so glad he stopped putting himself in his movies. If it were just small shyt I wouldn't have even minded that but to cast yourself as Malcolm's best friend when you are a genuinely awful actor is just terrible decision making to me.

As for Chi-raq. You might've heard it was bad from people who didn't see the movie or refused to see it because 'it doesn't reflect the real Chi-raq' and wanted it to be a documentary. That's all I saw. Or people who saw it and didn't really get it. I personally loved the movie and thought it was his best in years.

Now mind you, the shyt was all over the place but it was still enjoyable as hell. The things that people typically liked about the movie didn't resonate with me though.

- John Cusack was alright but nothing to write home about.
- Jennifer Hudson was terrible. Like just flat out awful and the film could've done without her really.
- The mayor was a bit too over-the-top even for the tone of this film.
- And I could've done without Sam Jackson as Dolomedes but he wasn't outright bad. Just a bit superfluous.
- Wesley Snipes should've played it a bit more straight.

The good things about it:
- The two leads. Both Nick Cannon and Teyonnah Parris surprised me in this movie. Nick Cannon surprised me because I am the first person to hate on the dude for being corny. There's probably even a few posts on here about it. But he played the hell out of his role without sliding into his Drumline tough kid face. He came close but avoided it.

- Teyonnah Parris is leading woman material. She should and needs to get more work after this. She deserves to have her name be known.

- The direction of this movie and the style of it was just plain fun. The hard tonal shifts really play on you. It's very obviously a Spike Lee Joint.

- The story, although all over the place as I mentioned, still works. It doesn't offer up depriving young men of sex as a permanent or even viable solution to ending violence. Examples are given in the end of things that could help in a scene I thought was ridiculous but I still ended up liking.

All in all, I would recommend watching it at least once.

mr x

Superstar
Daps
Was miracle at st Anna really that bad?

I remember having a couple issues with it(mainly the unnecessary love triangle)
But otherwise I don't see why it gets panned to the extent it does. :ehh:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Was miracle at st Anna really that bad?

I remember having a couple issues with it(mainly the unnecessary love triangle)
But otherwise I don't see why it gets panned to the extent it does. :ehh:

I remember the editing was really, really bad, to the point all the action looked clumsy. There was no realism in the fight scenes whatsoever either, the final battle was like some COD no scoping shyt. Other than that I didn't have too many complaints with, except maybe the title didn't make that much sense since the "Miracle" I guess was the boy surviving the massacre, except the massacre overshadows it so much they might as well have called it The Massacre At St Anna.