Why doesn't Spike Lee get more credit for jumpstarting the careers of so many actors?

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So Malcolm X was just showing on HBO a few minutes ago, and throughout the nearly 3 hours and 30 minute movie, I recognized countless actors and actresses...more than I've noticed in the other times I've seen the movie. Goodness, I even noticed Oran "Juice" Jones in that movie (not really an actor, but a noticeable cameo nonetheless). You could point out more in Do The Right Thing, or School Daze or Summer of Sam...etc

It seems to me that Spike Lee is sort of the Bill Walsh of movies, when you think about his acting tree.

This guy gets so much shyt in the media over his beefs with Quentin Tarantino and Clint Eastwood and being a Knicks fan...and now even with the Chiraq movie, but what other director has opened the doors for as many minority actors as he has?

Dude will be 59 years old this March and he should be celebrated more.
I'm not trying to compare him to Martin Scorcese but by the time Scorcese was 59 (in 2002) he was practically a film god.

Just sayin...

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Spike Lee is a fantastic director and probably the greatest African American director of ALL TIME.

Dude does SO MUCH to utilize his platform for advancement of Blacks in the industry without ONE SINGLE IOTA OF c00nING.

This man beefed with his OWN FATHER because his dad married a Cac Cave bytch.

Spike Lee is the TRUTH

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
why does spike get so much hate?

He doesn't c00n and he lets ALL them Cacs in the industry know about themselves.

Spike Lee has, unarguably been the BIGGEST advocate for Black Excellence in the film industry in both his films and real life actions. Spike Lee wouldn't know how to c00n if Tyler Perry offered him tickets to his next Madea film....

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
If no one will say it I will he hasn't done a good movie since inside man. Miracle on st anna, old boy, sweet blood of Jesus and chi-raq (I hear it was bad) were all well below what he's capable of. He's gone the way of De Palma, stone, ridley (haven't seen Martian) and them. He can't just get a pass because he's black, he can do better

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
it's because he's black and don't take shyt from no one. that's why

white hollywood don't wanna give a brother like spike lee his credit because they are intimidated by his intelligence and envy his talent as a director; that's why they try to shyt on him and ignore him every chance they get but spike still marches forward does his thing no matter what. you gotta love that (him doin' his thing) or at least respect that, because he follows his heart no matter what and speaks his mind, stands up for what he believes him and keeps it movin'

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
If no one will say it I will he hasn't done a good movie since inside man. Miracle on st anna, old boy, sweet blood of Jesus and chi-raq (I hear it was bad) were all well below what he's capable of. He's gone the way of De Palma, stone, ridley (haven't seen Martian) and them. He can't just get a pass because he's black, he can do better
He fell off for sure. At least he aint as bad as Tyler c00n Perry though.:yeshrug: