Why does the Black community depreciate Black clothing brands while putting white clothing brands on a pedestal?

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
Post a list of black owned clothing, I'd support.

:ehh:

This the thing breh.

A lot of these clothing lines aren't real... just cats screenprinting a shytty logo onto some gildan t shirts or some hoodies,snapbacks and joggers and a minimalist shopify site.

Nobody is even asking them to have some straight up cut and sew,bespoke level shyt..... It's just a bunch of unimaginative people who are just trying to get a hustle going.

I will say that it's much much harder to market to men than women, because we don't buy clothes at the rates women do on average....and quality/durability matters much more to us.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
I don't think black people or anyone else cares about were a brand is from unless it's Italian ("highest quality" marketing) or Chinese ("lowest quality" marketing). All they care about is what clout the brand has in the fashion world, if we are talking high fashion.

When Off-white blew up everyone bought that cause it was the hottest brand. When Balenciaga resurged they bought that. When Kanye's sneakers were popping, that was that. Nobody care if a Ghanaian from Chicago, an African American or a Spanish/French brand controlled by Salma Hayek's husband.

And if Yeezy doesn't count cause he used another manufacturer, then most brands wouldn't count as they have production deals with oher companies, are in large conglomerates with combined production and shyt like that. Like, do you think consumers are really looking through the annual reports to dig through the ownership structures of conglomerates when they buy a shirt :mjlol:

Last edited:

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
Keep lying to yourself for likes while your dollartree panties ride up you ass 🤡
Look at how gay you are to even type this. :scust: :scust:

All because I said them track suits you posted look like some cheap Walmart shyt.

Is that some shyt you made?
Are you in the picture?

Stop being a sensitive bytch ass cry baby and do better you clown ass gay thoughts having ass fakkit. :umad:

Bushmaster69

Superstar
Daps
Look at how gay you are to even type this. :scust: :scust:

All because I said them track suits you posted look like some cheap Walmart shyt.

Is that some shyt you made?
Are you in the picture?

Stop being a sensitive bytch ass cry baby and do better you clown ass gay thoughts having ass fakkit. :umad:

Look how much you are writing :mjlol:

You care more than me fukk nikka

MegaTronBomb!

Daps
Reppin
Yo this site funny. Mf basically asked why Fubu ain't on the level of Versace and mfs responded with...Black company's get love on social media 🤦🏾

Asking why Black brands that don't exist anymore either due to their owners cashing out to private equity knowing it'd be the end for the brand (Rocawear,Sean John,Phat Farm), only existed cause someone with money was bored (Trukfit,EG,Gnostic, or haven't existed/relevant in decades (Kani,Fubu,Phat Farm,Rocawear,State Property,Sean John).... is really a testament to how out of touch some are with modern day hip hop fashion

What people are missing is that we have an entire generation that's anchored in the mid 90's-early 2000's and never left.....so they're no different that someone who's been in jail for the last 20-25 years when it comes to what they understand....we've literally seen brands like Cross Colours being used in museum exhibits.

We're also at a point in time where majority rappers do not have a true sense of style... it's just wear whatever is visibly expensive no matter how ridiculous it may be. A lot of these dudes are literally people who couldn't put together an outfit until they got some money...and still can't if left to buy their own stuff.

It's literally the Dame Dash delusion, but from a consumer perspective.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
A lot of these designers don't grow that's the issue, they're stuck with one design or phase that only caters to hiphop street wear. Most of them cac brands are just upscale brands you listed. So they don't have street wear audiences
Nah, its society, even i wanted to wear some rocawear today, i would get clowned for it. That's not on the designers thats on the culture.

MegaTronBomb!

Daps
Reppin
Nah, its society, even i wanted to wear some rocawear today, i would get clowned for it. That's not on the designers thats on the culture.

Well considering that Rocawear got sold nearly 20 years ago and isn't in stores anymore..... you'd get clowned for it because you'd look like you were some TikTok skit about one of a time of fashion that didn't age well at all.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Well considering that Rocawear got sold nearly 20 years ago and isn't in stores anymore..... you'd get clowned for it because you'd look like you were some TikTok skit about one of a time of fashion that didn't age well at all.
Which in turn prevents it from being worn, not the designers. I know people that still wear clothes they bought 20 or 30 years ago just because they take care of themselves and their property. But people don't even rock an old rocawear shirt to cut the grass.

MegaTronBomb!

Daps
Reppin
Which in turn prevents it from being worn, not the designers. I know people that still wear clothes they bought 20 or 30 years ago just because they take care of themselves and their property. But people don't even rock an old rocawear shirt to cut the grass.

Trying to blame the culture for:
1. Not even being alive when Rocawear was hot
2. Choosing to not wear of the moment fashion from 20 years ago

We're not gonna sit up here and act like Rocawear was timeless fashion, or a staple of american fashion like blue jeans :heh:

Jay himself stopped wearing that shyt.....in favor for the button up era which was arguably worse.

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
And if Yeezy doesn't count cause he used another manufacturer, then most brands wouldn't count as they have production deals with oher companies, are in large conglomerates with combined production and shyt like that. Like, do you think consumers are really looking through the annual reports to dig through the ownership structures of conglomerates when they buy a shirt :mjlol:

:patrice:

But Fubu and Karl Kani were manufacturing their own stuff so that is the standard and it stands out when you compare it to a well established brand like Adidas which we know isn't Black owned and existed decades before we ever heard of Kanye.

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
Ask @kingofnyc
he likes to brag about rappers making european fashion hot in the black community :mjlol:

:ufdup:

this is pretty weak of you because we went back-and-forth in the other thread about this topic and you took an L because you had no response after I proved a European company from France name Adidas blew up after RUN DMC made them poppin in 1986

Now, as far as this thread goes, you have to ask your generation and generation that came behind you
Because I am a Gen Xer … and since the late 80s ; the whole entire 90s and till the mid 2000s we created our own clothing lines which we all supported & most of them brands blew up & became very successful , unfortunately thereafter things started to change and again I’m not the generation/person to be able to answer why that happened