Why Do Some Southerners Have No Southern Accent At All?

bogey_j

new love, same neurosis..
Daps
I knew this girl from louisiana that sounded like a valley girl from california, but yet her brother and the rest of her fam talked with a deep southern drawl. so is it only like a conscious decision some people make to NOT sound southern? look at ludacris and T.I for example, both grew in the atlanta but luda has no real discernible accent while its arguable whether T.I is even speaking english or not

is it more of some people not trying to sound dumb like the typical southerner so they supress their southern drawl? :smh:

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
It's the same everywhere, some people will develop a heavy accent from their region and some people will be more inclined to speak more mainstream-ish and develop as such.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
I think its more to do with the people you around, like if im around some of my nikkas wit THICK accents for a while my own accent might get a little heavier without me even thinking about it... just a natural reaction to communicate better I guess :yeshrug:

my city does not have a typical "deep southern" accent so that might be another reason too

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
I've traveled and lived all over...i pick up certain shyt here and there...most folks say I sound like I'm from NY even tho I've never even been to the place...plus I grew up in a home where they didn't stand for talking ignorant as hell and pronouncing your words...

Fmju

Fixture
Daps
Reppin
PG
Luda wasn't born in the ATL though

When I was in college people could tell I was from PG. But the area division was crazy, you could easily tell Bmore area people (the ooo sound was a dead giveaway) & Philly (bul), jersey was a lil harder though.

SuburbanPimp

Giving game to lames since the 90s
Daps
Reppin
In Dallas, From Cleveland
Alot of them aren't born there as well....

Moved to Texas when I was about 11, I don't sound like I'm from anywhere in the South

When I meet anyone new within 5 mins I get, "You not from here are you?"

Don't let me say "Pop" and not "Soda" nikkas be like :stopitslime:

SafeForWork

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Moved to Texas when I was about 11, I don't sound like I'm from anywhere in the South

I lived in Houston for 28 years and you cannot tell where I'm from by listening to me speak. Same goes for my sisters. It's because we are cultured. It's that simple. If you have a deep as local accent you are a local joker, pretty much.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset

iono man "pop" just sounds so 1960's to us :pachaha: dont ask me why

JBoy

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Transplants and people being encouraged to tone down the accent