why do so many people on this forum think PC GAMING = PLAYING AT A DESK WITH A MONITOR?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I feel it's simple

Console = Convenience
PC = more work and freedom

Consoles

positives

- plug and play
- no tinkering
- don't have to go inside console to add parts
- designed to not worry about updates and digging deeper to find root cause of issues
- better optimization
- lasts a whole generation
- low price of entry due to manufacturer's subsiding cost

Negatives
- Lack of freedom
- power restricted by console manufacturer
- Won't get the best performances during the middle of the generation and console will show its age
- lack mod support
- have to pay to play online
- restricted to one storefront
- not guaranteed backwards compatibility

PC

Positives
- Freedom to build what you desire
- can upgrade PC whenever you want to
- free online multiplayer
- multiple storefronts
- mod support
- active communities
- better game preservation

Negatives
- Higher price of entry
- more tinkering
- not everybody is comfortable with building a pc or going inside to fix issues. Trust me working as a tech support you'll learn how inept people can be when it comes to this stuff.
- poor optimization due to more variables in builds
- not everybody wants to game on a monitor because most likely using a monitor for work. However, you can still plug PC into a TV if you desire
- Cheaters

Overall, both markets are vastly different, but you can't really compare the convenience of a console to a PC. Also can't compare power of a console to a PC because both are foolish to do. Most people will most likely opt for a console for it's positives because the positives for a PC are more for enthusiast even though most PC gamers are playing on low to mid end rigs rather than powerful rigs. You can look at steam survey and see most are using midrange GPUs. So, you can't really compare the two like that.

I think during a generation the PC comes out cheaper due to free online and games being slightly cheaper, but not many want to deal with the headaches of PC gaming

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I feel it's simple

Console = Convenience

Consoles

positives

- plug and play
- no tinkering
- designed to not worry about updates and digging deeper to find root cause of issues
- better optimization

Negatives
- Lack of freedom
- Won't get the best performances during the middle of the generation and console will show its age
- lack mod support

PC

Positives
- multiple storefronts
- mod support
- active communities

Negatives
- Higher price of entry
- more tinkering
- not everybody is comfortable with building a pc or going inside to fix issues. Trust me working as a tech support you'll learn how inept people can be when it comes to this stuff.
- not everybody wants to game on a monitor because most likely using a monitor for work. However, you can still plug PC into a TV if you desire
- Cheaters

Overall, both markets are vastly different, but you can't really compare the convenience of a console to a PC. Also can't compare power of a console to a PC because both are foolish to do. Most people will most likely opt for a console for it's positives because the positives for a PC are more for enthusiast even though most PC gamers are playing on low to mid end rigs rather than powerful rigs. You can look at steam survey and see most are using midrange GPUs. So, you can't really compare the two like that.

I think during a generation the PC comes out cheaper due to free online and games being slightly cheaper, but not many want to deal with the headaches of PC gaming

We also live in a time where steamdecks and rog ally x cost 700 dollars, people are literally choosing the convienence of a handheld pc for that very reason.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
PC gaming means i got to spend countless dollars upgrading the specs because every year the minimum requirements are higher and higher.
At least with a console i know i'm going to get a good 5 to 7 years of playability out of it without any further investments.

Last edited:

Flexington

All Star
Daps
PC gaming means i got spend countless dollar upgrading the specs because every year the minimum requirements are higher and higher.
At least with a console i know i'm going to get a good 5 to 7 years of playability out of it without any further investments.

Eh, I wouldn't say minimum requirements change THAT drastically

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
We also live in a time where steamdecks and rog ally x cost 700 dollars, people are literally choosing the convienence of a handheld pc for that very reason.
That market is tough to gauge because the actual sales for those devices aren't large. However, people are clearly willing to spend due to convenience. Personally, I don't find the value of the PS5 pro because I have a PS5. However, if I didn't have a PS5 I would pay the fee to have a powerful machine.

At the end of the day, I think people are willing to spend $600-$700 for a console, and we saw that during the pandemic, but the major issue is how can you get the market to adapt to that pricing. I know people on these forums and social media are much different the general market, but I think there's a good chunk of people that would pay $600-$700 for a console if that was the launch price. It's just that you might lose a good portion that would stick to last gen

I think people need to realize that convenience and quality of service is much more valuable than power or price. There's a reason why people just leave their netflix subscription on. People don't want to handle stuff like finding streaming sites, stream content to a plex server, chromecast, apple tv, etc.

Consoles pretty much find the perfect balance of convenience and value, which is why many don't bother with a PC or build a high end one.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
That market is tough to gauge because the actual sales for those devices aren't large. However, people are clearly willing to spend due to convenience. Personally, I don't find the value of the PS5 pro because I have a PS5. However, if I didn't have a PS5 I would pay the fee to have a powerful machine.

At the end of the day, I think people are willing to spend $600-$700 for a console, and we saw that during the pandemic, but the major issue is how can you get the market to adapt to that pricing. I know people on these forums and social media are much different the general market, but I think there's a good chunk of people that would pay $600-$700 for a console if that was the launch price. It's just that you might lose a good portion that would stick to last gen

I think people need to realize that convenience and quality of service is much more valuable than power or price. There's a reason why people just leave their netflix subscription on. People don't want to handle stuff like finding streaming sites, stream content to a plex server, chromecast, apple tv, etc.

Consoles pretty much find the perfect balance of convenience and value, which is why many don't bother with a PC or build a high end one.

Also, as of right now we are still a niche group. People paying over 600 dollars for gaming hardware, whether its pc, consoles, handhelds are “super gamers” essentially. The common person is still waiting for GTA and major price drops and/or sales of current hardware to jump into the next generation. People that bought 500 dollar consoles day one are already outliers.

once you cross that 600 dollar threshold its no man’s land. companies are going to have to weigh whether its better for business to sacrifice low end/paying consumers for higher profits or keep taking major hits on hardware.

Nintendo is going to have to make the same choice, their hardware is gonna be at least 100 dollars more expensive this generation than last and they aren’t going to do price drops either which means all the people that bought switch’s at 299 probably aren’t going to be compelled to upgrade as quickly. Especially with them being forced to do backwarrds compatibility.

The same trends that effect Sony effect Microsoft and Nintendo and pc hardware. For some it’s just hitting slower. It’s going to be just as common to have older generation hardware for longer just like its common to hold onto cell phones for multiple iterations

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
PC gaming means i got to spend countless dollars upgrading the specs because every year the minimum requirements are higher and higher.

That's not the case. The 3080 came out in 2020. I still use a 3080 to this day without issue. I just have to turn on DLSS or adjust my resolution if I'm trying to max out settings with 60fps. The difference is, I'm aware of the changes that I have to make and console gamers aren't because the system does it automatically based on if you chose performance mode or quality mode.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I feel it's simple

Console = Convenience

Consoles

positives

- plug and play
- no tinkering
- better optimization

Negatives
- Lack of freedom
- lack mod support

PC

Positives
- multiple storefronts
- mod support
- active communities

Negatives
- Higher price of entry
- more tinkering
- Cheaters

I mostly agree with this. However, mod support is subjective IMO. I'm actually glad mods aren't on consoles outside of the specific games that are built from ground up to be mod style of games.

Also, there's many free games on consoles as well and the on sale prices are games are closer and as plentiful than some would have you believe. PCs games on sales are deeper, but the margin isn't that wide.

Last edited:

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Also, as of right now we are still a niche group. People paying over 600 dollars for gaming hardware, whether its pc, consoles, handhelds are “super gamers” essentially. The common person is still waiting for GTA and major price drops and/or sales of current hardware to jump into the next generation. People that bought 500 dollar consoles day one are already outliers.

once you cross that 600 dollar threshold its no man’s land. companies are going to have to weigh whether its better for business to sacrifice low end/paying consumers for higher profits or keep taking major hits on hardware.

Nintendo is going to have to make the same choice, their hardware is gonna be at least 100 dollars more expensive this generation than last and they aren’t going to do price drops either which means all the people that bought switch’s at 299 probably aren’t going to be compelled to upgrade as quickly. Especially with them being forced to do backwarrds compatibility.

The same trends that effect Sony effect Microsoft and Nintendo and pc hardware. For some it’s just hitting slower. It’s going to be just as common to have older generation hardware for longer just like its common to hold onto cell phones for multiple iterations
Honestly, I think it will be like smartphones where they train the market that $599.99 is okay. They might be doing that with the PS5 Pro if it has decent performance. They can use that price as a way to say PS5 at $599 isn't that bad. Like you've mentioned Nintendo prices are going to creep up and market will eventually accept new prices. Many years ago we didn't think $70 games will fly, and here we are.

I hear you about the GTA, fortnite, sports gamer that you might miss out on and they might be more valuable than enthusiast due tp influence and mtx spending. Enthusiast that are on forums, reddit, and other place are most likely not more valuable than the live service gamer who spends a ton on mtx and influence their friends to play with them.

Anyway, I think prices are going to increase next gen and PS5 price is going to make $600 PS6 look alright.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I mostly agree with this. However, mod support is subjective IMO. I'm actually glad miss sent on consoles outside of the specific games that are built from ground up to be mod style of games.

Also, there's many free games on consoles as well and the on sale prices are games are closer and as plentiful than some would have you believe. PCs games on sales are deeper, but the margin isn't that wide.
Yeah, steam sales are overrated because it's pretty much the same sales that are on PSN and Xbox Live. The main part about steam sales these days are the sale of very old games reaching all time lows and indie games that aren't on consoles yet.

I agree that mod support is subjective, but the freedom to have access to them is enticing for some games.

Phantum

The Charisma of the Streets
Daps
Maybe I'm flabby but it doesn't feel right playing PC games on the couch in front of the TV :hubie:

Steam Deck is different though but I don't dock it to the TV

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, steam sales are overrated because it's pretty much the same sales that are on PSN and Xbox Live. The main part about steam sales these days are the sale of very old games reaching all time lows and indie games that aren't on consoles yet.

I agree that mod support is subjective, but the freedom to have access to them is enticing for some games.
Yeah, the online pc gaming sales that I'd say outright beat psn ones would be the humble bundles. But those are random games that you get, so it has to be worth it to you for the games specifically in the sale to even matter. And I'd lever things like PSN+ as be as equal and on par with that, if not even better cuz there's typically more games than in any 1 humble bundle sale.