Why Didn't Console Gamers Care About Framerate Before This Gen?

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
Next gen needs to be 60 fps standard. This gen started off with some weak CPUs holding it back so it's not possible in every game.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
All NES, SNES, Genesis games ran at 60fps. Super Mario 64 is the first mainline Mario game to run at 30 FPS. Basically, we never had to care. However, you will never find a Zelda/Mario game that doesn't control well and frame rates were solid. I've been playing Mario games for over 30 years and till this day.

I need emphasis

tenor.gif

I've never had issues with controls and frame rates from either of these two franchises, Wii sticks withstanding and even they worked right.

Back to frame rates, look at this

For brehs that can't tell, hopefully this video helps.

They may have targeted 60fps but very rarely held that standard.

I remember anticipating and using slow down to my advantage in some of those old school games.:mjlol:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
To answer the question in the OP it’s stan wars.

As games and experiences become more and more similar across platforms, stans gotta find something to argue about.

It only matters when people want to stan something.

TLOU is regarded as one of the best games of last gen, it almost constantly ran sub 30fps and nobody gave a shyt.

The remaster is announced and Naughty Dog promoted 60fps as the end all, be all standard. Even going as far as to proclaim 60fps the only way games should be played.

That was until they had to sell another game at 30fps, then of course 30fps was is just fine.

And stans were with them every step of the way :mjlol:

Basically it’s just hype, at the end of the day people will play what they want to play on whichever platform they want to play it on.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
To answer the question in the OP it’s stan wars.

As games and experiences become more and more similar across platforms, stans gotta find something to argue about.

It only matters when people want to stan something.

TLOU is regarded as one of the best games of last gen, it almost constantly ran sub 30fps and nobody gave a shyt.

The remaster is announced and Naughty Dog promoted 60fps as the end all, be all standard. Even going as far as to proclaim 60fps the only way games should be played.

That was until they had to sell another game at 30fps, then of course 30fps was is just fine.

And stans were with them every step of the way :mjlol:

Basically it’s just hype, at the end of the day people will play what they want to play on whichever platform they want to play it on.
:mjlol: Not true exactly the multiplayer was still 60fps. What they were trying to do with UC4 wasn't going to work at 60fps so they had to cut it to 30fps.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Because through out most of console history (well, since the advent of 3D graphics) 60 FPS wasn't common. You can't really care about something that isn't a factor. :manny:

I think a gang of PS1 games were 60 FPS but as graphics got more complex on consoles a trade off had to happen and FPS took a back seat.

What's crazy is I remember FPS being something PC heads bragged about over consoles and console stans were on some "who cares about that nerd shyt?!"

Now it's one of the major talking points in the console wars.:mjlol:

Fred.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I've checked out of the gaming world for quite some time. But, I used to be heavy into gaming. I had SNES > N64 > Dreamcast > PS2 > PS3 OG > PS3 Slim.

I think as consoles get better, people have less and less to complain about and so the complaints become more and more nuanced. That isn't to say that irrelevant stuff didn't matter back in the day. I remember reading monthly console sales back in the day to make sure that the PS2 was outselling the Xbox. It was as if I needed others to continue to ride for the PS2 for me to actually enjoy playing the system.

Nowadays, I think we are in a perpetual cycle of complaining about more and more arbitrary things. I just found out via TheColi that people who don't dedicate their lives towards gaming are now called 'casuals' as if it's a bad thing to have hobbies outside of videogames. Kinda toxic imo.

FWIW, I think the same thing is happening in the phone world. People complaining about notches or phones only having 6GB of RAM instead of 8GB, etc.

I think that the less someone has going in their personal life, the more they nitpick on irrelevant stuff that shouldn't garner that much attention. The issue is that it is becoming more and more acceptable to have an obsession with your favorite hobbies which is unhealthy and leads to a lot of disappointment in the long term.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
:mjlol: Not true exactly the multiplayer was still 60fps. What they were trying to do with UC4 wasn't going to work at 60fps so they had to cut it to 30fps.
gamespot.com/articles/the-last-of-us-remastered-devs-discuss-making-60fp/1100-6421147/

The Last of Us PS4 at 60fps Is a "Transformative" Experience, Dev says

“Transformative”

“Can’t go back”

“30fps feels broken”

“60fps should be standard”

Doesn’t sound like 30 should have even been on the table for this dev.

They knew damn well UC4 was never gonna be 60fps.

They just had to ease y’all back down to 30 after all that 60fps hype while promoting TLOUR :mjlol:

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
I would imagine that most people not owning televisions with high enough rates played a part as well.

O³ (O cubed)

No more PAWGs, PLEASE??!!!??
Daps
Reppin
Hackney, London
Simple answer is that the majority of games ran at 60 fps (50 fps in PAL regions) up until the ps360 era.

Games that pushed the limits of the consoles ran slower
I would imagine that most people not owning televisions with high enough rates played a part as well.
Most CRTs ran at 50/60hz or above so I don't think that was the case.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
gamespot.com/articles/the-last-of-us-remastered-devs-discuss-making-60fp/1100-6421147/

The Last of Us PS4 at 60fps Is a "Transformative" Experience, Dev says

“Transformative”

“Can’t go back”

“30fps feels broken”

“60fps should be standard”

Doesn’t sound like 30 should have even been on the table for this dev.

They knew damn well UC4 was never gonna be 60fps.

They just had to ease y’all back down to 30 after all that 60fps hype while promoting TLOUR :mjlol:

That's not the point they were shooting for 60fps and said if what they want to achieve has to be hampered because of it they will not sacrifice the quality.
Naughty Dog won't push Uncharted 4 to 60fps if it compromises player experience - VideoGamer.com

You actin' like it's literally just a switch to flip.

mr.africa

Veteran
Daps
of course we cared about frame rate, especially around the 32 bit era.
and using a rare game as an example when rare games are notorious for frame rate issues
:childplease:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
That's not the point they were shooting for 60fps and said if what they want to achieve has to be hampered because of it they will not sacrifice the quality.
Naughty Dog won't push Uncharted 4 to 60fps if it compromises player experience - VideoGamer.com

You actin' like it's literally just a switch to flip.

That’s how they made it. You can’t “shoot for” 60 and fail.

60 has to be your design philosophy from the jump.

They had already developed a PS4 game using their engine, they knew 60 was NEVER in the cards for UC4.

They just had to pretend it was after all this 60fps talk and that lying ass reveal trailer they put out :mjlol: