Why Didn't Console Gamers Care About Framerate Before This Gen?

bogey_j

new love, same neurosis..
Daps
if you go back and play games from previous generations you'd realize most games ran like complete ass. i'm talking consistent sub-30 framerate (go back and play any Rare game in the n64 era). perfect dark ran at like 10 fps and still got 10/10 reviews :russ: even last gen most particle-heavy games dipped below 30 but it wasn't considered a big deal. it wasn't until this gen where gamers became crazy obsessed about framerate (omg must be 60fps!) and reviewers will actually dock points if the framerate is inconsistent.

why the sudden change? :jbhmm:

jebuz

I aint discriminate. I hate everyone equally.
Daps
Reppin
NY
Because the majority aren't nerds who care about that shyt. Even now the majority don't care about frame rate, the biggest complaints are still unimaginative games & DLC being a ripoff.

Facts. Most Americans don’t even know the brand of their TV, let alone frame rate

all people care about is that it’s not too choppy

Yade

BigJohnsons lol
Daps
Because you can’t compla about graphics anymore since there basically PS3 2.0

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
My favorite genre of game are racing games, I've long cared about it. Both PS4/XB1 have weak GPUs so having sub 30fps games are a normal occurrence. However, games that lower latency times in controller response mitigate some of the issues from the 30fps games that we see out there.

That's why Criterion are masterful at this.
Hot Pursuit cuts pad lag to new lows • Eurogamer.net

Input lag tested: COD vs Battlefield - which is the most responsive FPS? • Eurogamer.net

Current-Gen Tests Input Lag Target Frame-Rate
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
39.3ms 60fps
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered 40.3ms 60fps
Battlefield 1 56.1ms 60fps
Halo 5 63.0ms 60fps
Battlefield 4 63.7ms 60fps
Titanfall 2 71.8ms 60fps
Overwatch 76.8ms 60fps
Doom 2016 86.8ms 60fps
Killzone Shadowfall Multiplayer 89.8ms 60fps
Killzone Shadowfall Single-Player 110.0ms 30fps

Since COD4, it's always been the shooter that controlled the tightest.

The best 30fps game out there now in regards to this are the Forza Horizon games. Latency is low on those. Wipeout/F-Zero can never reach full potential on 30fps for example. Frame rate does matter. People just put graphics and geometry ahead of it usually.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Daps
Reppin
PC Gaming envy :hubie:

:mjlol:

I didn't want to be snarky but yes, if you've ever had a powerful rig once in your life, you will definitely understand the importance of 60fps+ gaming because when you go back to 30fps and struggle 30fps, a lot of games feel like they are controlling a tank.

parallax

Superstar
Daps
Because people were more concerned with bits. Framerates weren't really an issue until the 32 bit era, which afterward people stopped caring about bits.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Framerate???!?!?:dahell:

:mjlol: FOH.... We care about graphics here but framerate is only cared for if you got 4k tv's and 4k consoles man...

iceberg_is_on_fire

Daps
Reppin
Because people were more concerned with bits. Framerates weren't really an issue until the 32 bit era, which afterward people stopped caring about bits.

All NES, SNES, Genesis games ran at 60fps. Super Mario 64 is the first mainline Mario game to run at 30 FPS. Basically, we never had to care. However, you will never find a Zelda/Mario game that doesn't control well and frame rates were solid. I've been playing Mario games for over 30 years and till this day.

I need emphasis

tenor.gif

I've never had issues with controls and frame rates from either of these two franchises, Wii sticks withstanding and even they worked right.

Back to frame rates, look at this

For brehs that can't tell, hopefully this video helps.

Daps
Reppin
Golden Era/Drama free Zone
I'm content with a solid 30 or 60

As long as it's not jittering back n forth with constant dips

Which most previous gen games did just that. But I can't pretend like I really cared back then when I barely do now as long as the frame rates are smooth.

Waiting for that Blood and Truth game to drop looking at gamers that play on flat 2D screens with disgust the same way PC gamers probably view console gamers

Nobodyknows

All Star
Daps
Reppin
UK
People learn more as tech progresses, so people look into things regarding it. Especially if you have people debating it regularly and the console wars always have it included