Why did Dredd fail so miserably at the box office?

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
the slow mo scenes are what i remember most and that scene where dredd

set those fukers on fire

:damn:

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Wanted to up this thread to add my recommendation....just saw it today and damn. shyt was pure crack definetly one of the best action movies to come out of hollywood in a long ass time. Damn shame it flopped in theatres. Its no wonder the action genre is basically dead in hollywood, they get a gem like this on their hands and totally fukk up the marketing :snoop:

a bigger name would of saved it, i wish diesel would of done it

Savior

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang
a bigger name would of saved it, i wish diesel would of done it

Guy that played Dredd killed it doe...I think the biggest problems were calling it Dredd 3D (sounds like some cartoonish shyt with the 3D at the end), release date (coming too close to The Raid which was too similar) and the trailers did it no justice. Remember when The Raid released that clip of the main cop fukking nikkas up and everyone lost their damn minds? Thats how u market an ultraviolent action movie :whew:

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Guy that played Dredd killed it doe...I think the biggest problems were calling it Dredd 3D (sounds like some cartoonish shyt with the 3D at the end), release date (coming too close to The Raid which was too similar) and the trailers did it no justice. Remember when The Raid released that clip of the main cop fukking nikkas up and everyone lost their damn minds? Thats how u market an ultraviolent action movie :whew:

yea when i see 3d i instantly think of some wack 3d movies like final destination

karl urban did a great job, hes just not a name you can sell a project with.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Poor marketing, people still having bad vibes with the Stallone flick, but one of the BEST 3D movies to watch AT THE THEATER. I feel like a lot of people that slept on DREDD and seen it on DVD or Blu Ray did themselves a disservice on watching this on the big screen in 3D...it was a WONDER.

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Poor marketing, people still having bad vibes with the Stallone flick, but one of the BEST 3D movies to watch AT THE THEATER. I feel like a lot of people that slept on DREDD and seen it on DVD or Blu Ray did themselves a disservice on watching this on the big screen in 3D...it was a WONDER.
:sadcam:

im one of those people

:snoop:

Higher Tech

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gary, Indiana
I thought it was a terrible movie. I'm still surprised when people tell me they liked it. Every trailer I saw sucked, so I saw it long after it was on DVD. I think it just looked cheesy.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
I saw it in 3d with the moving, vibrating seats.

Those seats add a lot to the movie going experience.

Walgreens

Be Well.
Supporter
Daps
Don't know, maybe because people had a bad taste still from the Stallone version, but I read it did huge money on DVD and Blu-ray. I didn't expect much from it myself when I watched it but liked it a lot and then recommended it to a friend and her husband (who never planned on watching it) and they loved it.

Ricky Church

Stole Timberlake's Spaceship-Coupe
Daps
Reppin
Hudson County N.J. [Jersey City 201]
I didn't check for this movie as soon as it hit the internet in HD form. (solely because I don't care for Karl Urban) but I was bored one night and noticed it on Netflix.

and it surprised the hell outta me, never thought I woulda enjoyed it as much as I did.

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I didn't check for this movie as soon as it hit the internet in HD form. (solely because I don't care for Karl Urban) but I was bored one night and noticed it on Netflix.

and it surprised the hell outta me, never thought I woulda enjoyed it as much as I did.
honestly i only watched it cause nikkas on here was raving about it and i saw it was on redbox

:manny:

Achille

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
S.M.B 4 EVER
I enjoyed the movie I saw it in 3D in the theaters and online when EPIX first got it. I like the standard grit and feel to the movie seemed like an old school 80's or 90's flick. That being said the reason it didn't do so well it wasn't promoted that well and it was already tainted from the Stallone version. Similar to what happened with The Hulk and The Incredible Hulk movie situation. The original movie left a foul taste in some people's mouths.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I enjoyed the movie I saw it in 3D in the theaters and online when EPIX first got it. I like the standard grit and feel to the movie seemed like an old school 80's or 90's flick. That being said the reason it didn't do so well it wasn't promoted that well and it was already tainted from the Stallone version. Similar to what happened with The Hulk and The Incredible Hulk movie situation. The original movie left a foul taste in some people's mouths.

I could be wrong but I feel like there was so much time between that movie and this one that it didn't even register in anyone's minds minus comic book fans. Judge Dredd isn't a character well known in American pop culture and the only reason the first movie sold was because Stallone was playing the title character

Spaceman Piff

Superstar
Daps
I could be wrong but I feel like there was so much time between that movie and this one that it didn't even register in anyone's minds minus comic book fans. Judge Dredd isn't a character well known in American pop culture and the only reason the first movie sold was because Stallone was playing the title character

hmm, i'd disagree. i never saw the original movie or read the comics.. but i do remember that it flopped badly and people were shytting on it.

it wasn't the biggest reason i didn't watch it in theaters.. but it was definitely something in the back of my mind like "why would they bother remaking that?"

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Because it was average at best.

It was fairly enjoyable, but I never understood why this movie got so much praise, especially when the 2014 Robocop got shytted on, and it's much better movie.
it's quite understandable that Robocop gets shytted on, it's original film was viewed in high regard the same can't be said for stallones judge dredd so one reboot already had less expectations than the other. Removing all that aside dredd was a much better movie that the new Robocop duke. Dredd didn't try to have any message or go on some sentimental posthuman storyline. It just stuck to basics and kept it simple, didn't care for either movie tbh but the only thing that offended me about dredd was that it's bluray claimed to be 3d when it wasn't. Robocop's shyttyness still lingers in my mind till now