Why did Dredd fail so miserably at the box office?

Lord Scion

Quality Games
Supporter
Daps
When I had Facebook, this conservative cac I went to boot camp with kept spamming that shyt on his timeline. He would say some shyt like "Obama and liberals are ruining this country..... GO SEE DREDD IN THEATERS THIS SUMMER!!!!"

That made me not go see it.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Because it wasn't marketed the best and I'm not talking about the trailers I just mean the lack of marketing or the tone. According to the people who worked on it the studio really didn't know what they had or how to market it and it just came out at the tail end of a summer season also. Dope movie very very dope. I don't think the judge Dredd thing had a lot to do with it seeing as how that flick was 20 years old at that point and most of the fans of that particular comic knew better and casual audiences had no clue what it was about.
This is the main answer. I remember telling people about while it was still in the theater and them not even knowing anything about it.

Krispy

#FreeBigLurch
Daps
Reppin
UK
Because it didn't come close to capturing enough of the layers and depth of the original work for hardcore fans, but was still too out there for regular audiences who thought they were going to see a traditional superhero movie.

Yet it's one of the closest comic book to film adaptation probably only being out done by Sin City?

Hawaiian Punch

umop-apisdn
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The I in Team
I personally love the movie. Honestly my biggest regret was not seeing it on the big screen in 3d. I think the thing that screwed this movie over was the legacy of Stallone. He fukked up the first film and it was hard to seperate the two. But then again Batman Begins was able to..:patrice:

Maybe it was bad marketing. I dunno man. Either way I enjoyed the hell out of it and would love another.

curz

Don of all Dons
Daps
Reppin
Dade
Yet it's one of the closest comic book to film adaptation probably only being out done by Sin City?
Yeah I never understood this shyt. I reread Watchmen a week before seeing the movie. Page by page, its the most faithful comic book adaption ever. The acting and casting was excellent, the cinematography was excellent, the fight scenes were perfect and motherfukkers still complain :laff:

People just love hating Snyder

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Yeah I never understood this shyt. I reread Watchmen a week before seeing the movie. Page by page, its the most faithful comic book adaption ever. The acting and casting was excellent, the cinematography was excellent, the fight scenes were perfect and motherfukkers still complain :laff:

People just love hating Snyder

I'll hand it to Snyder that he captured the look perfectly, and the cast (safe for that horrid skank Malin Akerman) was spot-on, but he failed to capture the deeper, more complex layers in the story completely. Part of that may be because of the movie format just being too limited for a story with such enormous complexity, but I never got the idea that Snyder bothered to try either.