Why did Dredd fail so miserably at the box office?

Spaceman Piff

Superstar
Daps
that's a terrible trailer. it's pretty much just a summary of the movie from beginning to end.

i remember it was being marketed as a 3d movie.. and that made me put it into the piranha 3d category.

and the first dredd doesn't have a great reputation :yeshrug:

Bruce Wayne

THE GODDAMN BILLIONAIRE
Daps
Reppin
Gotham City
Fell Asleep about 40 Minutes into this and Woke Up to it's NetFlix Banner. I may try it again on another day.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Sometimes actors become synonymous with the movie. Imagine A Die Hard reboot with someone else playing John McClain. Or a Rocky Reboot with someone else playing Rocky other than Stallone. It won't have to same impact. They would've been better off calling it something else.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Because it was average at best.

It was fairly enjoyable, but I never understood why this movie got so much praise, especially when the 2014 Robocop got shytted on, and it's much better movie.

R.O. Double

Holdin My Balls Since 83
Daps
Reppin
City Of Angels
I always figuered becuz the first Judge Dredd flopped real big amd was garbage. This flopped becuz of association.

I understand that Dredd is big in the UK, but the only reference that Americans have is just that shytty movie from almost 20 years ago.

I personally enjoyed this new one tho.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Because it wasn't marketed the best and I'm not talking about the trailers I just mean the lack of marketing or the tone. According to the people who worked on it the studio really didn't know what they had or how to market it and it just came out at the tail end of a summer season also. Dope movie very very dope. I don't think the judge Dredd thing had a lot to do with it seeing as how that flick was 20 years old at that point and most of the fans of that particular comic knew better and casual audiences had no clue what it was about.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Because it was a rip off of The Raid Redemption.

Dredd began filming in late 2010, Raid March 2011.

Dredd had also been in development since 08.

Dredds a remake of a movie made in the 90s with a twist... and even the remake started filming before The Raid..

mafukkas was really negging me in one of the raid/dredd threads awhile back cause I corrected them on this shyt..

nerd ass virgins was like "ITS A RIP OFF OF THE RAID :damn: "

im like :what: I was watching Judge Dredd before you bytch mafukkas was even born :camby:

WeSeeIt

Rookie
Daps
20 years is too long to still blame Stallone. The target demographic was either not born yet or too young to remember the original. Plus this film is technically independent and you can see the lack of money in some of the footage. Some of the material is so grainy I would almost bet money parts of this film was shot on a DSLR like a 5D Mark ii. Also, outside of KNOWN blockbusters 3D is typically used to market trash movies. Theres a saying that used to be used in Hollywood, 'if you can't make it good, make it 3D.' They would expect low turnout and planned on recouping production costs with higher individual ticket costs.

In short, don't market your film as a 3D showpiece. It's showing your hand that you NEED the money.