Why did Android TVs, tablets, and smart watches fail?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
android still makes android watches
They may make watches but unless it's from Apple of Fitbit it doesn't have much marketshare. I own an Apple Watch a Fitbit watch and a Samsung watch and Fitbit is trash in comparison but it sells. Fitbit is a trash company in general. Their products almost always have design flaws and break down over time usually outside of the manufactures warranty.

It's crazy that Google can't top Fitbit when it comes to smartwatches.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Android clearly dominates the global market share for smart phones but They tried to put it on TVs, tablets, and smart watches and in comparison it just never took off on any of them. Is it that the Google ecosystem just isn't that strong?

Apple users seem to want total device integration between all their devices. Maybe Android users just don't care about that?

I think that Apple users imo are more susceptible to Apple's marketing and are easier to convince to lock into an ecosystem, even when they have subpar offerings. With regards to the devices you mentioned, I have some thoughts:
  1. Android TV: The initial reviews were meh and buggy. IMO, the primary incentive is to cast video to your TV and Google got around it and got into the ecosystem via Chromecast which is a huge success. Also, anyone can now voice command their Roku TV (read: the bestselling TV brand in the world) with Google Assistant so that is another way that Google is rooted in the ecosystem for the foreseeable future and their old product is (imo) obsolete and not worth pushing.
  2. SmartWatches: Never owned a smart watch so I can't comment here. I never got the appeal of having a computer on my wrist to do everything that my phone, the thing I keep in my pocket at all times, can do.
  3. Tablets: I've been a tablet user for 4-5 years. My initial tablet (Nexus 7) I got through a workplace incentive program because I couldn't justify paying my own $ for a luxury device. It ended up legit collecting dust and laggy AF as was my next tablet until I downloaded one app (Pocket) which made my tablet a meaningful device for the 1st time. I use my current tablet daily because the form factor is feels like a book when reading articles, but outside of that, I can't see why anyone would buy a +$100 tablet outside of gamers. The average person doesn't need a tablet, and those that do would probably be OK with an Amazon Fire tablet (which Google gets a % of every sale). That is why manufactureres don't create tablets anymore imo. There is no way to justify raising prices of future models for the majority of users. Oh and, Apple accounts for 26% of Tablet sales and most (all?) of the remaining tablets run some form of Android which reinforces Androids success in the market.

With ChromeOs bleeding on tablets, I would keep an eye on the Android Tablet scene to see if we do see a resurgence in the future. With ChromeOS (and Android Pie) the Google are primarily in charge of pushing updates instead of the carriers which means that the overall experience will be a lot more consistent and streamlined in terms of updated software than ever before. That is something that can go a long way for the Android tablet software update experience that has been an afterthought more often than not

Truefan31

Superstar
Daps
Right now Google can't commit to developing anything cohesive for long periods of time. In terms of business models, they wish they could emulate Apple's success in terms of developing apps for both mobile and desktop users.

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
I’m an Apple guy through and through and have Android TV by proxy as I buy Sony TVs

Let me tell you that shyt is horrid. It’s so buggy, slow, crashes and what’s worse for me is the lack of care and attention. Like some sentences don’t have the right case, some menu options literally don’t let you choose anything.

Just seems like at the beginning they were happy to be this cool, geeky, development like OS. But now people want some polish out of them and they have nothing in return

Htrb-nvr-blk-&-ug-as-evr

Black and not crackin’
Supporter
Daps
I’m an Apple guy through and through and have Android TV by proxy as I buy Sony TVs

Let me tell you that shyt is horrid. It’s so buggy, slow, crashes and what’s worse for me is the lack of care and attention. Like some sentences don’t have the right case, some menu options literally don’t let you choose anything.

Just seems like at the beginning they were happy to be this cool, geeky, development like OS. But now people want some polish out of them and they have nothing in return

Bruh, this was my delima when choosing between a Samsung TV and a Sony. That Tizen software on the Samsung is fire, but that Android TV on the Sony is hot garbage. Playing with it in the store and that shyt was lagging like a mf. Disjointed menus and lots of resets. However, the Sony is the much better TV at being a TV...picture was awesome for an LED TV. The Samsung was $400 cheaper than the Sony equivalent, so I went with it and will upgrade next year to OLED, but man is that Tizen software is nice on the Samsung.