Why did Android TVs, tablets, and smart watches fail?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Android clearly dominates the global market share for smart phones but They tried to put it on TVs, tablets, and smart watches and in comparison it just never took off on any of them. Is it that the Google ecosystem just isn't that strong?

Apple users seem to want total device integration between all their devices. Maybe Android users just don't care about that?

x2y

SOHH Stupid
Supporter
Daps
I am an Android guy for the most part but it's clear to me Google doesn't give a fukk anymore. With these half asses attempts. They are too splintered with Chrome OS, Android OS versions etc and whatever the new OS ends up being called. These things get 1 update if you're lucky and then it's downhill from there.

I have Moto watch they basically stopped supporting it after what feels like a couple of months along with other Android wear watches, Same for the Galaxy 10 inch tablet I had a couple of years ago. Android TV killed by Chromecast (and smart tv's with better os and media capabilities) and the eco system/apps are subpar. Android is great if you want that XDA developer's life. Its really noticeable when you are able to use the same apps on IOS and Android with these half baked apps and games.

I just want them to move on from Android and take control of the next OS. But I'm sure Samsung or someone else is working on future competitor. Goog set droid gang been a bit disappointing the last year or two. /rant

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
I dont give a fukk about tablets or tvs... and I might get a Galaxy watch when it's cheap enough because none of that stuff can get the material or the advantages of the Note 9. Not even close.

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
Android clearly dominates the global market share for smart phones but They tried to put it on TVs, tablets, and smart watches and in comparison it just never took off on any of them. Is it that the Google ecosystem just isn't that strong?

Apple users seem to want total device integration between all their devices. Maybe Android users just don't care about that?

Google never made a properly integrated ecosystem among all the Android platforms. The average Android developer knows that while Android has the market share in smartphones, Android in other devices are completely fragmented. It's not worth all the extra work needed to be done.

Truefan31

Superstar
Daps

Because what Apple has done isn't as easy as it looks. Optimized app ecosystem for mobile devices, on top of desktop integration. Ipads are the best tablets for a reason. Android tablets (and apps) are basically a joke in comparison. Having a mac, iphone, ipad, apple tv etc all working seamlessly makes for a polished experience. One that consumers for the most part enjoy. Especially ones willing to pay for the experience. Android can't even get a proper Imessage version yet, let alone everything else.

And honestly the after sales support Apple provides shyts on basically any other mobile oem. Other than the general enthusiasts, most consumers just want shyt to work, work well, and if it doesn't, the company does a good job of making amends/fixing it. Basically any Apple device, they can service it because of their tight control. It's a double edged sword at times, but for most consumers if it's working well, why change it?

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Because what Apple has done isn't as easy as it looks. Optimized app ecosystem for mobile devices, on top of desktop integration. Ipads are the best tablets for a reason. Android tablets (and apps) are basically a joke in comparison. Having a mac, iphone, ipad, apple tv etc all working seamlessly makes for a polished experience. One that consumers for the most part enjoy. Especially ones willing to pay for the experience. Android can't even get a proper Imessage version yet, let alone everything else.

And honestly the after sales support Apple provides shyts on basically any other mobile oem. Other than the general enthusiasts, most consumers just want shyt to work, work well, and if it doesn't, the company does a good job of making amends/fixing it. Basically any Apple device, they can service it because of their tight control. It's a double edged sword at times, but for most consumers if it's working well, why change it?

And you answered it right here. Its easier to build a system that works well when you already have an idea of what hardware you'll be dealing with. Google has to design software to work on a variety of platforms all from multiple manufacturers. I honestly don't ever expect Google to have an ecosystem as good as Apple's.