Why did Alien: Convenant flop at the box office?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
The Alien Universe is still viable but I don't think it will ever produce another entertaining movie unless Ridley Scott takes a hands-off approach and allows other directors to make these films.
Prometheus and Covenant prove that dude is not the guy to turn to for good Alien movies.

Exactly. But his ego or someone or something keeps telling him he's the dude. If he wasn't stuck in Fern Gully, I'd love to hear Cameron's thoughts on the franchise and what it should be going forward

QuintessentialMan

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Too many cats got burned by Prometheus. They had all the hype in the world going into that movie. The trailer was straight fire. First time I caught the trailer in a theatre I was like :blessed:. Then it came out. :francis:
Nobody's checking for this trash series anymore.

Pretty much This yeah.

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I felt burned by Prometheus. But I liked Covenant. I felt like Prometheus and Covenant together make an interesting story.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Exactly. But his ego or someone or something keeps telling him he's the dude. If he wasn't stuck in Fern Gully, I'd love to hear Cameron's thoughts on the franchise and what it should be going forward
All the classic piff we could've got if Cameron hadn't gone that route. :mjcry:

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Ok, but that had nothing to do with its sequel bombing at the BO? and I just checked mojo and Prometheus did terrible at the BO ($126M on $130M budget, it had to rely on worldwide to make its budget back.
Such an odd statement to make in modern times.

Most films now rely on worldwide.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
not an odd statement to make when i was replying to a post that said it "made a killing" at the box office
Well...yeah. it is. You can make a killing at the box office without domestic.

Each year goes by domestic makes less and less

Cherry picking out the domestic doesn't really make sense.

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
Well...yeah. it is. You can make a killing at the box office without domestic.

Each year goes by domestic makes less and less

Cherry picking out the domestic doesn't really make sense.
its not me cherry picking out domestic, its the studio. they were disappointed by the US box office. The OG director of the Alien franchise makes his triumphant return and it can't make its budget back at home, yeah, I would be disappointed to.

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina

Not just the studio, Ridley himself admits he was disappointed with Prometheus. You would think with it making a "killing" at the international Box Office that we would have got the real sequel to Prometheus instead of what they thought was a back to the basics Alien movie. There's a reason why mojo still separates domestic and international. it might not mean much anymore but plenty of movies make their budget back overseas and they not getting sequels...

Here's the the article from mojo. Fox is the studio:
Five $50 Million Debuts Propel June Business - Box Office Mojo

Prometheus started strong with a $51.05 million debut, but cratered quickly thanks to front-loaded interest and unenthusiastic word-of-mouth. As a result, it only wound up in fourth place for the month with $116.7 million. It should close around $130 million, which is good for an "original" sci-fi movie but doesn't come close to matching the astronomical forecasts that were accompanying this movie ahead of release

Warner Bros. has had a quiet year so far with $615.5 million, though The Dark Knight Rises should help it catch up with the leaders over the next month or two. Thanks to the incredible performance of The Hunger Games Lionsgate ranks fifth for the year with $592.3 million. That's ahead of bigger studios Paramount and 20th Century Fox, who have been the noticeable slouches so far this year. After moving many tentpoles out of the 2012, Paramount is only at $520.4 million so far, while Fox is at a meager $489.4 million through the end of June.

Even with its "killer" international box office, people were wondering if it would get a sequel...
Finally, Prometheus eeked past $400 million worldwide this weekend. In comparison, X-Men: First Class topped out at $353.6 million but Fox still managed to greenlight a sequel, so there's still a chance for Prometheus fans that they'll get to see another chapter at some point.

and like I said up top, if the studio and Ridley were happy with Prometheus why didn't they give us a proper sequel instead of saying they fukked up? once again, I like Prometheus. I wanted a real sequel to it. Its not like Ridley was forced into doing this either. He coming off a big Oscar nominated movie that actually made its budget back in the US (The Martian)...

Ridley Scott admits he got Prometheus 'wrong'