Why are they going with Hall Jordan and not Jon Stewart?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
:dahell: hal jordan been the main GL dude since forever. john stewart is cool and shyt, but even fakkit ass guy gardener was more popular than john stewart at one time. Hal been the main GL is damn near all the cartoon movies. john stewarts run on JL was piff, but CACs who actually read DC comics are gonna want Hal. Hal was even a major villain and the reason for one of them retarded ass DC universe resets they seem to do every 5 years

I think the reasoning behind John is aside from diversity, he's more widely known as the green lantern at this point for a group of kids that grew up on JL and JLU. Neal Adams even said that he told DC at the time of the GL movie that it made more sense to go with John and no matter how many comics of green lantern they sell, it pales in comparison to the number of people who watch justice league. Now of course he's a tad bias since John is his creation, but he was right

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
I think the reasoning behind John is aside from diversity, he's more widely known as the green lantern at this point for a group of kids that grew up on JL and JLU. Neal Adams even said that he told DC at the time of the GL movie that it made more sense to go with John and no matter how many comics of green lantern they sell, it pales in comparison to the number of people who watch justice league. Now of course he's a tad bias since John is his creation, but he was right
maybe...

i actually dont give much of a fukk who GL is. but just wanted to point out that Hal is way more major. so it isnt a hundred percent :mjpls: i'd give more of a fukk about the movie if it was a black GL instead of a CAC GL tho :manny:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
maybe...

i actually dont give much of a fukk who GL is. but just wanted to point out that Hal is way more major. so it isnt a hundred percent :mjpls: i'd give more of a fukk about the movie if it was a black GL instead of a CAC GL tho :manny:

Yeah Hal is definitely big time but anyone who doesn't read comics doesn't know that, which is what Neal's larger point was. And thats just stats. Most comics at this point, if they're top sellers, maybe move at least 100,000 units a week. Compare that with a million or 2 million people who were watching justice league on cartoon network or who still can on netflix. Math would say you go with John

IllustratorMike

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Native of the NYC, getting fed in the Big D!
Thats right.
I recall Adams saying that DC wanted a blond, blue eyed GL to be introduced and he contested it by telling the editors it would be an insult to their faction of black readership and to be bold with a black or Asian addition.
It was also a genius way for them to capitalize on the Blaxploitation wave of the 70s when Stewart was created.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Thats right.
I recall Adams saying that DC wanted a blond, blue eyed GL to be introduced and he contested it by telling the editors it would be an insult to their faction of black readership and to be bold with a black or Asian addition.
It was also a genius way for them to capitalize on the Blaxploitation wave of the 70s when Stewart was created.

Yup. He was right then and he's right now

I think Geoff Johns has an direct and indirect influence on Hal Jordon being the main GL.....

Yeah I'm sure of that too. Which I get. Johns love's Hal, he's his favorite character

notPsychosiz

I started this gangsta sh-
Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
:dahell: hal jordan been the main GL dude since forever. john stewart is cool and shyt, but even fakkit ass guy gardener was more popular than john stewart at one time. Hal been the main GL is damn near all the cartoon movies. john stewarts run on JL was piff, but CACs who actually read DC comics are gonna want Hal. Hal was even a major villain and the reason for one of them retarded ass DC universe resets they seem to do every 5 years
Asside from comic-heads no one knows who Guy Gardener is at all. He has less traction as a lantern today than Kilowag.

Hal Jordan hasnt been more popular than John Stewart for over a decade... almost two. :dead:
(Justice League cartoon debeuted in 2001)

John Stewart has been in a continual stream of A+ rated cartoons and dvds in syndication for the last 15 years.
In those 15 years Hal Jordan had a flop live action movie and two direct to video dvds.
By the way... John Stewart even has more direct to video dvd appearances also, so I wouldnt even consider the dvds a win for Hal.
:deadmanny:

An 18 year old today remembers John Stewart as their green lantern, as does a 25 year old. You have to find a 30 year old to even strart remembering Kyle Rayner, and you need to dig up a 40-50 year old to identify with Hal Jordan as the primary lantern they associate with.

Anyone that associates Bruce Timm as Batman has John Stewart as their green lantern. Thats like the entire 13 - 30 male demographic.
You gotta go find the Adam West crowd to start getting into Hal Jordan.

notPsychosiz

I started this gangsta sh-
Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
Yup. He was right then and he's right now

Yeah I'm sure of that too. Which I get. Johns love's Hal, he's his favorite character

Dwayne McDuffie eventually created an asian lantern for batman beyond.
:rip: to McDuffie... the GOAT next to Stan Lee.

th

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
Asside from comic-heads no one knows who Guy Gardener is at all. He has less traction as a lantern today than Kilowag.

Hal Jordan hasnt been more popular than John Stewart for over a decade... almost two. :dead:
(Justice League cartoon debeuted in 2001)

John Stewart has been in a continual stream of A+ rated cartoons and dvds in syndication for the last 15 years.
In those 15 years Hal Jordan had a flop live action movie and two direct to video dvds.
By the way... John Stewart even has more direct to video dvd appearances also, so I wouldnt even consider the dvds a win for Hal.
:deadmanny:

An 18 year old today remembers John Stewart as their green lantern, as does a 25 year old. You have to find a 30 year old to even strart remembering Kyle Rayner, and you need to dig up a 40-50 year old to identify with Hal Jordan as the primary lantern they associate with.

Anyone that associates Bruce Timm as Batman has John Stewart as their green lantern. Thats like the entire 13 - 30 male demographic.
You gotta go find the Adam West crowd to start getting into Hal Jordan.
:patrice: did i miss something? outside of a few appearances in young justice, i ain't seen Stewart in shyt. what dvd appearances you talking about?

hal been the green lantern in every single animated justice league movie, the two animated green lantern movies, the green lantern movie, the green lantern animated series, the Lego movies, etc.

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
Dwayne McDuffie eventually created an asian lantern for batman beyond.
:rip: to McDuffie... the GOAT next to Stan Lee.

th
:ohhh: I didn't know he's the one who created him.:wow:RIP to one of the goat writers. You can see the quality difference from Justice League War to Justice League Throne of Atlantis :mjcry: as far as the new 52 movies

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Each Green Lantern and Flash is representive of an era.

Silver Age: 60s/70s GL: Alan Scott Flash: Jay Garrick
Golden Age : 80s GL: Hal Jordan Flash: Barry Allen
Modern Age: 90s GL: Kyle Rayner Flash: Wally West
Millenum: 2000s GL: John Stewart Flash: Bart Allen

John Stewart is way more popular than Hal Jordan amongst anyone under 30... maybe under 40... :dead:
DC is completely aware of this, its why they are using the Wally West name on the Flash tv series. Anyone under 30 wants Wally West, not Barry Allen.
But they would rather go with a clearly dated character (Hal Jordan) than fund a project for an african american character that is several times more popular today (John Stewart)

That racism is so strong its hitting their pockets.
Cause I got no intention of paying for Superman v Batman or Justice League or any of their little cac films.

Can't wait for that Luke Cage and Black Panther tho... :blessed:

please please please... stfu.

Hal Jordan IS green lantern. every other lantern is a supporting character, whether u like it or not. and just because john stewart is the most recent green lantern, it doesnt make him the most popular.

u really think DC would be flushing money on that wack ass green lantern corps comic if they could just roll out a monthly starring stewart instead?

u think it's a coincidence the only green lantern who's been able to hold down a solo consistently is hal (and now sinestro)? here's a hint: it's because they move units, and the rest of the mythos only seem to work as a package deal (orange lantern? flop. red lanterns? flop. etc etc).

what storyline revived the green lantern mythos and made the entire line popular enough to warrant that disaster of a ryan reynolds flick? green lantern: rebirth. featuring the return of the hal jordan.

before snyder and capullo took over batman, what was DC's #1 monthly for years? green lantern. starring who? hal jordan. not green lantern corps, starring john stewart (although by ur logic, stewart being sidelined to a group book is also indicative of racism).

what sucks is that stewart is one of a handful of minority characters that DC has gotten right, while marvel has stepped their game up in that realm... marvelously. but unfortunately, stewart will always be anywhere from #2 to #4 in his own mythos.

more popular than hal jordan? only someone stanning the JL cartoons would actually believe that. otherwise no. you're wrong. and to say it's racist (when if anything, it was a matter of fortune, since the person who revived the franchise made Hal the star again)... man listen, if you dont know what you're talking about, then just stfu and keep it moving. because anyone who knows comics knows your logic is flimsy as fukk.

Last edited:

Moose_Greyjoy

I DO Not Sow
Daps
Each Green Lantern and Flash is representive of an era.

Silver Age: 60s/70s GL: Alan Scott Flash: Jay Garrick
Golden Age : 80s GL: Hal Jordan Flash: Barry Allen
Modern Age: 90s GL: Kyle Rayner Flash: Wally West
Millenum: 2000s GL: John Stewart Flash: Bart Allen

John Stewart is way more popular than Hal Jordan amongst anyone under 30... maybe under 40... :dead:
DC is completely aware of this, its why they are using the Wally West name on the Flash tv series. Anyone under 30 wants Wally West, not Barry Allen.
But they would rather go with a clearly dated character (Hal Jordan) than fund a project for an african american character that is several times more popular today (John Stewart)

That racism is so strong its hitting their pockets.
Cause I got no intention of paying for Superman v Batman or Justice League or any of their little cac films.

Can't wait for that Luke Cage and Black Panther tho... :blessed:

please please please... stfu.

Hal Jordan IS green lantern. every other lantern is a supporting character, whether u like it or not. and just because john stewart is the most recent green lantern, it doesnt make him the most popular.

u really think DC would be flushing money on that wack ass green lantern corps comic if they could just roll out a monthly starring stewart instead?

u think it's a coincidence the only green lantern who's been able to hold down a solo consistently is hal (and now sinestro)? here's a hint: it's because they move units, and the rest of the mythos only seem to work as a package deal (orange lantern? flop. red lanterns? flop. etc etc).

what storyline revived the green lantern mythos and made the entire line popular enough to warrant that disaster of a ryan reynolds flick? green lantern: rebirth. featuring the return of the hal jordan.

before snyder and capullo took over batman, what was DC's #1 monthly for years? green lantern. starring who? hal jordan. not green lantern corps, starring john stewart (although by ur logic, stewart being sidelined to a group book is also indicative of racism).

what sucks is that stewart is one of a handful of minority characters that DC has gotten right, while marvel has stepped their game up in that realm... marvelously. but unfortunately, stewart will always be anywhere from #2 to #4 in his own mythos.

more popular than hal jordan? only someone stanning the JL cartoons would actually believe that. otherwise no. you're wrong. and to say it's racist (when if anything, it was a matter of fortune, since the person who revived the franchise made Hal the star again)... man listen, if you dont know what you're talking about, then just stfu and keep it moving. because anyone who knows comics knows your logic is flimsy as fukk.

These post are both correct, however, do not forget about Geoff Johns influences. Barry is the Flash because Geoff loves Barry and Hal is GL for the same reason. Geoff has a huge influence on DC, which is why the Justice League movie is going to feature Geoff's New 52 roster.