Why are retail workers so trash and lazy now ?

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
I blame companies. Too many are demanding more and hiring less. For example, Walmart stores would have around 20 registers with four of them open even before self-checkout. Also many restaurants have seen an increase in business due to a pps like Doordash and they still keep the staffing levels the same while limiting hours and not paying benefits.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
Spent plenty of years working retail. Tried managing at a larger chain retailer one time, and it was Straight Ass. The only workers allowed full-time hours were those with a management title. They limited the number of total hours we could divvy out over the week, so we were always understaffed. We always had help wanted signs up and listings online, even when fully staffed, so any federal jobs opening numbers (Jolts Report) should be laughed at as they are fugazi as it comes.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
It ain’t just retail. It’s restaurant staff too. Bartenders be mean as fukk nowadays, not trying to refill your drink or take your order acting like you don’t exist and shyt. :why:Hospitality ain’t so hospitable no more. Probably because they make money in tips on depending on the establishment, people be shytty tippers. Many people don’t know how to tip properly. They stereotype black folks as being bad tippers too. :mjpls:Plus everything cost so much now, people feel stuck. People don’t know who to be mad at so they take out their frustration on who’s around them. It’s baffling though because hella people tip based on the quality of service. So I don’t understand how someone who lives off tips acts like they hate their customers. :wtf:

Daps
A lot of ppl died during the pandemic, there simply aren't enough workers in these stores. And I know the stores usually don't want to hire ppl but I don't think that's what's happening right now cause I've seen "help wanted" signs everywhere and folks just don't want those jobs. And a lot of the people who would have wanted them died.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This thread isn’t it. Dollar Tree and Dollar General workers get shyt hours and shyt pay while the company expects 3 workers at the most to operate an entire store.

it's not even a fun place to work. when i was in high school, i would've never applied there.

working at Target/Best Buy/the Mall/Movie Theater/Foot Locker :hula: being 1 of 3 workers at Dollar Tree and the other 2 are 50 yo moms.

Hard choice right there.

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
it's not even a fun place to work. when i was in high school, i would've never applied there.

working at Target/Best Buy/the Mall/Movie Theater/Foot Locker :hula: being 1 of 3 workers at Dollar Tree and the other 2 are 50 yo moms.

Hard choice right there.

Twice the work and none of the adventurous Walmart fukkery

Umoja

Veteran
Daps
That happens when corners are cut.

Places are understaffed so the problems pile up. In addition to that, you're not going to attract motivated and skilled workers when you pay less than a livable wage.