Why are retail workers so trash and lazy now ?

degu9089

All Star
Daps
They don’t pay a living wage, I know the response to that is those jobs are for teenagers not adults, then don’t be mad at kids for giving fukk all about a job that doesn’t pay well and that they aren’t going to stay at. I never get mad at places like dollar tree or Walmart for having bad customer service. It’s my fault for shopping there in the first place.

Last edited:

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
Don’t nobody give a fúck breh… :yeshrug:

I didn't say nobody had to care. 99% of folks start off working shyt low paid jobs with no benefits. Some of use move up, others stay stuck. Having the mentality of doing nothing doesn't fix their problem in the slightest.

Nobody owes you anything in this world. Especially if you a black man. Folks want a good paying job? They gotta go get it on their own.

Dameon Farrow

Superstar
Daps
It was pretty dumb to stack the stuff in the aisles. If you worked overnight you could do that. When I did this stuff in my youth we had U boats to bring a lotta shyt out and not block up aisles.

Kiyoshi-Dono

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Petty Vandross.. fukk Yall
This doesn’t prove employees are lazy
When freight comes in
It is usually done during a certain time of day
But being that this a Dollar Tree type establishment
Two things occur
No room in the back for that mornings incoming shipment
So they are pushing old freight from the back forward to make room in the back
Overnight staff(if they even have one) worked through as much as they could with probably minimal 2 or 3 employees
Company/Management is not letting overtime happen and trying to leave it for a morning time crew of maybe the same skeleton crew of 3 employees to run the whole store
Or a third is they simply don’t have enough space
nikkas always fall for Zay threads and the true nature of you
My Brotha, My Brotha bean pie ass nikkas always reveal y’all selves
Sounding like the republicans and crackers y’all hate so much

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
You don't even know what's going on there and you're blaming the workers?

This isn't an excuse to not do your job. I worked shyt jobs but still did what I was supposed to do. Actually builds ethic so when you get a real job you bring value
Shut the fukk up.

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
If anyone is to be blamed for this, it's greedy executive leadership. Dollar Tree has also been fined many times already by the federal government for workplace safety violations like this.

In the segment, Oliver plays cell phone footage from various Dollar Trees and Generals around the United States, showing scene after scene of chaos. At some stores, boxes are piled everywhere, and there’s only one worker to unpack them all. At others, the air conditioning doesn’t work, leaving the staff in danger of heat exhaustion. Rats run around the storage areas, with no pest control in sight. “At every turn, dollar stores seem to treat their workers with either stunning indifference or outright contempt,” Oliver says, and he’s not wrong. I should know.

So what is it actually like to work in a dollar store? Well, unsurprisingly, it’s rough. Even Macon Brock Jr., the cofounder of Dollar Tree, admits as much in his memoir, One Buck at a Time:

[W]orking for Dollar Tree is one of the hardest jobs in American retail, second only to managing a Dollar Tree. Just the physical aspects of the job are demanding. Anywhere from twenty-two hundred to three thousand cartons of merchandise show up at a store per week and have to be carried to the right aisle, unpacked, and displayed. The pace is relentless. The press of customers is constant.

All true—although, of course, Brock could have made the work less “relentless” any time he wanted. To his account, I’d add that dollar stores essentially expect you to work severaljobs at once. Usually, there are only two workers running the entire store, and sometimes you’re stuck there by yourself. So you have to run around the building, dealing with problems as they come up. Just when the line of customers is longest, you’ll hear the crash! of a shattering pickle jar ten aisles away. You’re a cashier and a janitor, and a security guard, and a stocker of shelves, and an unloader of trucks—and you’re the complaints department when any of that goes wrong. At a Walmart or a Target, in contrast, there’s a full staff, and everyone has clearly-defined roles. At Dollar General, you do everything, all for one low, low price.

The pay really is low, too. Retail companies often discourage their workers from talking about wages, so I think it’s important to be very explicit here. When I started working for Dollar General in 2019, I made $8.50 an hour. You can do the math: that’s $68 for a standard eight-hour shift, or $340 for a 40-hour week. Not much in a country where the average rent is estimated at $1,372 a month. And with a few rare exceptions, nobody actually got 40 hours. Every employee except the manager was part-time, and schedules were wildly unpredictable. Some weeks you’d work 39.5 hours, just enough to keep you below the full-time threshold (and thus without healthcare benefits), and other weeks it would be more like 15 or 20 hours. The constantly-fluctuating income made budgeting interesting, to say the least. By the winter of 2022, though, things were looking up: my pay had increased to a whopping $11 an hour! (Before tax, mind you.) According to data from the Economic Policy Institute, this was pretty much typical. In 2021, 92 percent of Dollar General workers made less than $15 an hour. In other words, starvation wages. I was lucky enough to live in a relatively cheap part of the country, but there are dollar stores in the most expensive cities in the U.S., like New York and Seattle. I have no idea how the workers there survive, unless they each have six roommates or something.

JNew

Superstar
Daps
Everybody blaming everyone but that actual person who but the boxes there.

Customer service has gotten bad cause people in general just don’t care.

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
This thread isn’t it. Dollar Tree and Dollar General workers get shyt hours and shyt pay while the company expects 3 workers at the most to operate an entire store.

Literally this.

They're notorious for having 1 cashier and 2 people doing stock (the 2 stock people also serve as the back up cashiers during a rush).