Why are Redguard not welcomed in Whiterun??

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell
I need to rant about something: for anybody who follows TES lore communities, do you get fukking irritated that the current community is actively trying to define the Redguards as a Middle Eastern/Islamic like Arab race who just so happen to aesthetically look Sub-Saharan African. Personally, I have had numerous arguments with skyrimkiddies who are constantly trying to sell me on this idea due to the Alik'r warriors in Skyrim wearing loose flowing garments, a turban, and wielding a scimitar. This is obviously cherry picked and fallacious since Black North Africans/Moors are noted as wearing similar desert garb, but the thing that ultimately bothers me is why is it so important for the TES community to paint the Redguards as somehow not really being a black race.

Why selectively ignore the HUGE Afro-Caribbean influences in TES: Redguard, why selectively ignore the African American naming conventions with characters like Trayvond the Redguard, why selectively ignore all the West African influences, I.E "Yokuda” and “Yoruba". Even with the Alk'r Warriors which they use as proof of Redguards being black Arabs, their leader is literally named Kematu. And the whole athleticism trope which defines the Redguards is a well known Black Stereotype. Honestly, the only way I can rationalize the selection bias going on with the TES community on this subject is that they're trying to verify, to themselves, the idea that West Africans and Black ppl in general don't have a major medieval history to contribute to the Fantasy genre. This explains to me why they're so determined to paint the Redguards as black arabs/middle easterners.

I agree. That's why I kind of stopped participating in TES lore forums.

If the next TES game takes place in Hammerfell I bet there will be a lot of :mjpls: comments from fans and reviews. Especially in today's society. It would be worse than the GTA San Andreas hate for CJ.

Camile.Bidan

Banned
Daps
really...:skip:

I mean considering the whole world was pretty much destroyed in a nuclear war where it rained what acid for weeks after...

I doubt it. Look at the anarchy of Libya after the total destruction of that country. They already went back to enslaving races. Ghadaffi was friendly to Black people, protected black people in his country and donated millions to Black causes in America.

Plus after spending 30 plus years in highly racially diverse low income areas, my experience tells me that gangs will rule, and all gangs are race-based in my experience. Even in well-off super-liberal areas, the neighborhoods self-segregated.

Plus, I rarely see multi-racial cliques when I am out in and about.

Then there's those racial issues that happened in the aftermath of Katrina.

We tolerate each other because there is legal and social ramifications forcing us to. Take that away and it's game over.

Camile.Bidan

Banned
Daps
Did you actually play Skyrim? There are redguard living in Whiterun and all over Skyrim, its the Al'akir that arent allowed into whiterun because they are a secret police from Hamerfell. The racial tensions that exist are between the humans and high elves, with the beast races (Khajit and Argonians) at the bottom of the totem pole.

I played Skyrim in 2011. I spent most of my time on side quests and putting in work with the Assassin's club (brotherhood .... something or other). I don't really remember the dynamics of all the interactions, but I remember that Nords in Whiterun had a lot of implied racist dialogue.

It seems real enough to me. The last group of people I expect to be friendly to outsiders is a bunch of Snow-CACs from a backwards-ass Celtic or Viking/Nord village. The Romans had African leaders and eventually made everyone in the empire a citizen of Rome, so would expect the Skyrim equivalents of Romans to have vast cities with all races. I remember that was how things were.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
I doubt it. Look at the anarchy of Libya after the total destruction of that country. They already went back to enslaving races. Ghadaffi was friendly to Black people, protected black people in his country and donated millions to Black causes in America.

Plus after spending 30 plus years in highly racially diverse low income areas, my experience tells me that gangs will rule, and all gangs are race-based in my experience. Even in well-off super-liberal areas, the neighborhoods self-segregated.

Plus, I rarely see multi-racial cliques when I am out in and about.

Then there's those racial issues that happened in the aftermath of Katrina.

We tolerate each other because there is legal and social ramifications forcing us to. Take that away and it's game over.

that's a country being destroyed..

in Fallout the entire world has been pretty much completely destroyed. I really don't think racial dynamics would come in to play in a world like that.

Daps
I played Skyrim in 2011. I spent most of my time on side quests and putting in work with the Assassin's club (brotherhood .... something or other). I don't really remember the dynamics of all the interactions, but I remember that Nords in Whiterun had a lot of implied racist dialogue.

It seems real enough to me. The last group of people I expect to be friendly to outsiders is a bunch of Snow-CACs from a backwards-ass Celtic or Viking/Nord village. The Romans had African leaders and eventually made everyone in the empire a citizen of Rome, so would expect the Skyrim equivalents of Romans to have vast cities with all races. I remember that was how things were.

There is no Skyrim equivalent of Romans because Skyrim isnt an independent country or empire like Rome its a province of the Empire. The "Romans" of Elder Scrolls are the Imperials which is why they all have Latin and Italian names and the Imperial city is a MASSIVE city with every race of Tamriel living there. The Imperials are described as cosmopolitan, mercantilist, well educated and wealthy while Nords are always described as being well known for their battle prowess, resistance to cold and cultural emphasis on honor and glory, like vikings or klingons but there has also been a running joke in the elder scrolls games about Nords being extremely nationalistic and dumb it didnt just start with Skyrim. The Nords are ruled by the Imperials to get a better understanding of the lore you should probably pay Oblivion but its a big ass game.

Cᵣₐₛₕ&ₜₕₑCₒᵤₚ

____ exposing themselves
Daps
The combat and animations for these elder scrolls/fallout games are just so struggle, I just can't play em anymore like that. Especially the fallout games with the 100% accuracy enemies. Fallout NV still the best out of Oblivion/3/NV/Skyrim/F4.