Why are Japanese Developers so much better than Western developers at combat?

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
How many western games are actually character action games?

I can’t think of many. Western games are usually FPS or RPGs
DmC gets a lot of shyt but it really is a good action game made by Ninja Theory, and they apparently learned a lot of stuff from capcom

And although the online scene died quick, Bleeding Edge had a great combat system so I'd trust them to work on a Xbox exclusive action game in the future

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
Dragons Dogma’s combat ruined Elder Scrolls combat for me.

Playing Skyrim after that was a mistake.:hhh:
Once you've tasted that Gran Soren nectar you can't ever go back

:wow:

Amdall-Dragons-Dogma-Combo-Daggers.gif

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Western developers are more focused on keeping the game simple to understand, depth is usually seen as unintuitive, a Western game developer likes to automatically assume the gamer is as dumb as a box of rocks, as evidenced by their philosophy on tutorials. It makes sense, if I was a game developer I'd probably develop the same way.

Japan kind of assumes that you know what you are getting into and are willing to give in to the craziness of that particular game, even if it's unlike anything you ever played before, and will put in mechanics that some may see as too niche or unique.

Rocksteady kind of revolutionized gameplay with the Arkham titles even if its old news now

Naughty Dog did something really special with TLOU2

But I agree with the general premise. Alot of WRPGs have stale combat because the focus is on everything other than gameplay first

Arkham when it dropped was widely considered to be just an extension of what Assassin's Creed already started with it's combat engine, and I tend to agree with that notion. Don't see it as revolutionary at all.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
DmC gets a lot of shyt but it really is a good action game made by Ninja Theory, and they apparently learned a lot of stuff from capcom

And although the online scene died quick, Bleeding Edge had a great combat system so I'd trust them to work on a Xbox exclusive action game in the future

Ninja Theory is trash breh. :yeshrug:

Last game they made I liked was Heavenly Sword. And that was a GOW knock off. :mjlol:

MisterMajesty

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London
There's a few reasons for it. Having spoke to a lot of Japanese developers as well as western ones, there's a few key differences in there. There's also trends that you might notice.

Reliance on polish: Eastern developers, korean, japanese whatever place a lot and i mean a LOT of focus on their polish. Even when the games are released rushed to all shyt, you can often see where the effort has gone (SFV is a good example)

Origins: A lot of the key older developers, weren't even gamers to start with. They were just people that wanted to emulate a particular "feel" through their game. Kazunori wanted the gamer to feel like a race car driver with the GT series, Shigeru got the idea for Zelda after playing in the forest, Souls games are hugely HUGELY influenced by literature, pacing wise. The list goes on.

MisterMajesty

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London
Eh I enjoyed them but...nah.

Ys (series) - Wikipedia

I feel ashamed to not know what this is lmao. I'm gonna check this out (I design games).

Whilst you can not like it, GOW absolutely matches what is good about action games on both a design level and a game feel level. It also actually OUTDOES a lot of the genre in certain fields as well (such as encouraging you to actually learn the game), including both NG1/Black and DMC.

GOW Trilogy is also a lot better paced and balanced difficulty wise also. The only exceptions really being NG Black (which is THE blueprint on how to properly scale a games difficulty) There isn't really a game that had anything as dumb as the original DMC3 release (where normal mode was hard, and hard was very hard mode). And notably, ALL of the weapons are as viable as each other generally. There isn't any example of DMC3 Royal Guard, or NGB Dabilahro I can think of atm.

Those 1st 3 games are absolutely on the same level, if not better than a lot of action games period. And ironically they're more consistent as well (DMC is a patchy series quality wise, despite how good it is. One classic, then a dude, then another classic, then a half baked game, then another great entry)

For reference my favourite hack n slash/action game is actually Ninja Gaiden Black. Despite what it sounds like, I'm not advocating GOW as the best series ever or anything. Jus giving respect where its due.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Origins: A lot of the key older developers, weren't even gamers to start with. They were just people that wanted to emulate a particular "feel" through their game. Kazunori wanted the gamer to feel like a race car driver with the GT series, Shigeru got the idea for Zelda after playing in the forest, Souls games are hugely HUGELY influenced by literature, pacing wise. The list goes on.

I actually find this interesting. It makes sense, video gaming is a relatively new phenomenon

MisterMajesty

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London
I actually find this interesting. It makes sense, video gaming is a relatively new phenomenon

Yep. Prince Of Persia is another major example of this. It was hugely inspired by indiana jones iirc. Someone actually commented this to me as to why games feel more by the numbers now. They mentioned that game designers have been phased out and effectively replaced with programmers and managers. You can actually see this curve in several genres and how much evolution they;ve gone through (or not). Compared Street Fighter 3 to Street Fighter IV for example.

Or ANY, i repeat. ANY Ubisoft game after Far Cry 3.

Nintendo are the only real consistent exceptions to this.