Why Are Black New Yorkers so fascinated with the Italian Mafia?

invalid

Banned
Daps
I actually grew up around real mafia families that actually hid their family's background because it was socially looked down upon to be 1) Italian and 2) affiliated with the mafia. So to see folks glamorize the lifestyle is funny.

It's like some bourgeois black families that I know today who hide the fact that their family money comes from a grandfather or a great grandfather who was a policy king.

Folks that are still affiliated with street life are fascinated by these lifestyles. But once you move beyond street life, like some of these families, it's nothing to boast about. It actually becomes a scarlet letter.

I will say, when you look at the Italian and Irish organized crime organizations, they had a bit of swag to them. Dressed in suits, wore fedoras, and handled their business. Then when you look at black gangs, these nikkas rocking blue and red bandanas and dikkie pants. No swag whatsoever. :dead:

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Americas fascination with the criminal underdogs
To this point, I've been binging on American Greed. I never realized the amount of Ponzi schemes have existed in this country. And some of the people get caught up because they greedy to. "I don't want to pay taxes, so here's my money random guy I might boating" or "I want risk free 20% return on my money so I'm gonna give you my life savings"

10bandz

RIP to the GOAT
Supporter
Daps
I actually grew up around real mafia families that actually hid their family's background because it was socially looked down upon to be 1) Italian and 2) affiliated with the mafia. So to see folks glamorize the lifestyle is funny.

It's like some bourgeois black families that I know today who hide the fact that their family money comes from a grandfather or a great grandfather who was a policy king.

Folks that are still affiliated with street life are fascinated by these lifestyles. But once you move beyond street life, like some of these families, it's nothing to boast about. It actually becomes a scarlet letter.

I will say, when you look at the Italian and Irish organized crime organizations, they had a bit of swag to them. Dressed in suits, wore fedoras, and handled their business. Then when you look at black gangs, these nikkas rocking blue and red bandanas and dikkie pants. No swag whatsoever. :dead:

Black gangsters back in the day wore suits and shyt too. Young Italian mobsters are wearing track suits not dressing like John Gotti

livindajetlife

Superstar
Daps

Cac

Bugzbunny129

All Star
Daps
Hip hops entire gangsta swag based image comes from the mafia..
Kool g rap is the godfather of east coast gangsta rap. His whole vibe is mafia based.

AZ of paid in full fame created mob style, album is filled with mafia sounds

Raekwon still talks about the mafia in his last vlad interview. I read his book his white friend he hung with as a kid’s dad was in the mafia. Cuban linx is the goodfellas of hip hop. The nicknames and shyt is all mafia stuff. Sammy the bull lucky luciano shyt legz diamond bugsy siegel shyt. Goes even back farther to founding of america as rebels honestly. 5 points gangs of new york, wild west/cali has its own shyt.

All the guys who hip hop elevated from the 70s worked with the mafia cause they had the streets on COMPLETE lock. In a way that we will never see again. Thats why.

I imagine a kid born 2000-today having no idea how big it was back then in nyc. Mafia white kids was hittin all over nyc like these black youngins in chicago now. Its a totally different time.

UncleTomFord15

Veteran
Daps
Dudes in here making excuses and saying it's no different than white kids dikkriding GDs or bloods or whatever:mjlol:. The main difference is the mafia were (is) racist af against black people. John gotti is literally on video calling black people n1ggers. They used to purposely sell drugs to mainly black people to keep us subjugated while they thrived. There were literally mobsters who used to drive around and kill random black people they came across. Alot of black men have no sense of pride and it's truly embarrassing when you break it down:francis:.

Last edited: