Why are American eggs white?

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
:ohhh: can we turn this into a chicken coop thread? I've been thinkin about getting a few. I saw a lady on franklin ave in BK with 4-5 in her front yard. Would you say its more effort than its worth for just like 2-3 and do they peck out all your veggies and plants?

Do the chickens wake them up every sunrise?

start off small with 5-6 chickens and one coop.. a big coop will only really house that many.. you talking a big ass coop to get 9-10 chickens in one..

as long as they can free roam.. and they will roam... they are not a problem. if you have a lot of land, they won't peck in the same spots so you'll never notice the grass.. but they will dig in your flower beds and dirt (it's how they take baths)

now if you don't have the room... they'll be in your neighbors yard too.. and their bushes... and in the street.. and around dogs and other animals that'll chase them

that's another thing.. if they are not secure, you better lock them up at night. cause there are a million animals that hunt them, and they aren't too good at flying or running away

other than that, don't get a rooster unless you want babies.. you'll have to give them water daily and grab the eggs up daily or they'll sit on them forever, waiting for them to hatch..

but they are really cheap.. you can get baby chickens for $2 a piece (depending on breed) and then all you pay is for water, the coop, and food during the winter (if they are free roam)

start here:

http://www.mypetchicken.com/

or

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/index.html

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
I have to say, eggs have no taste in America.

When I was in DR, I always notice how much better the eggs taste down there. Maybe it's what they feed the chickens.

I also notice that in DR, they don't refrigerate eggs. I've read something about eggs only having to be refrigerated once they are washed with chemicals, like they do here in the US.

:patrice:
great, another item to put on the do not buy list. you fakkits ruin everything

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
these are eggs(from my dads chickens) from my own fridge

As you can see they are varying colors, different (breeds of) chickens lay different colors. The blue-gray-ish ones here are NOT from a chicken that lays blue-ish eggs. But I'm just posting them to show you that there is a wide range of colors.

13358982723_7aa71897e8_z.jpg

Aracana chickens lay light blue eggs, the chocolate ones on the left are likely from Welsummers.
4546112725_28d07910d1.jpg

and just fyi, these are more healthy for you than store bought eggs from chickens that are usually pumped full of drugs

:ohlawd: I remember when my pops had his chicken coop those eggs were just :noah:. Hated cleaning this bish out though (and the roosters were always extra agressive).

Need to find a place that has free range eggs without breaking the bank though.