Whole Foods On Brink Of Bankruptcy .... People Find Brand Pretentious

NYK Loyalist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I use to live down there a little more than 10 years ago before thd stadium went up.....I can see that happening....it has done a complete 180 over there...looks like Union Sq with a few more blacks an latinos there.

Smith St and 4th Ave are right over there...and them white folks love their 'organic' health food stores.

Yup gentrification is in full effect down there. The Whole Foods is attached to brand new high rise luxury apartments that they are almost finished building

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Slightly off-topic, but how is Starbucks still thriving?

Their baked goods and sandwiches are:ld: at best and it's not like their most popular coffees are gourmet.

• Dap
Reactions: Paz

StickStickly

Superstar
Daps
It IS pretentious. They have aisles dedicated to alternatives types of flour and granola. They have a friggin olive bar with 10 types of olives. TEN! Who needs that? No one was buying it.

5 years ago I had to got there for my almond milk, aloe vera juice, kale chips and coconut oil, but now Krogers sells it all so there's no need to make the trip

I do like their cuts of meat, desserts, soup and sushi. But their buffet and other food is bland. You'd think it'd be better since they have several rows of spices.

StickStickly

Superstar
Daps
Slightly off-topic, but how is Starbucks still thriving?

Their baked goods and sandwiches are:ld: at best and it's not like their most popular coffees are gourmet.
coffee shops in general are doing well. starbucks is doing good where I'm at but I see no one at Dunkin Donuts.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
coffee shops in general are doing well. starbucks is doing good where I'm at but I see no one at Dunkin Donuts.

Still, you can make most of their coffee at home, so it seems unnecessary unless you're traveling, and even then there are probably better local options.

If I'm in the Bay, for example, I'm going to Peet's Coffee before I'm ever stepping a foot inside a Starbucks.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
I used to shop there heavy now I just go there for ultimate hard stuff to find like Halo Top Ice Creams

StickStickly

Superstar
Daps
Still, you can make most of their coffee at home, so it seems unnecessary unless you're traveling, and even then there are probably better local options.

If I'm in the Bay, for example, I'm going to Peet's Coffee before I'm ever stepping a foot inside a Starbucks.
Yeah I prefer the local shops, but going to starbucks still feels good to me. Whoever their marketing team is did well with that. We have a pete's here but there's no drive through. Maybe Starbucks is doing well because they have the portability thing going for them? I still think the main reason they're so popular is because they have made a name for themselves by personalizing the coffee so they play to people's egos and make them feel special by going there.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
After shopping there every week for about 2 years, I haven't been with any regularity in a few months, I just couldn't find much I was interested in buying, aside from daily fixtures, or desserts. It's fine for a quick meal, or salad lunch, but aside from that, I'd rather eat more interesting food by going out, even food trucks, or taco stands, then struggle to come up with food that sounds appetizing once a week. It became a really draining part of my week. I can get better fish from the fish market, or local farmers market.

Ideally, I'd eat like 4 times a week, at somewhere like the Chelsea Market in NY, we have one here, but it's not quite the same quality, or closeness.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
i like whole foods' atmosphere - it's bright and upbeat, but 150% agree with it being overpriced. their produce and meats aren't better quality than what you get from other grocery competitors out here (esp. in cali where produce is pretty good regardless of where you shop) or farmer's markets. their hot bar food isn't good IMO, the food from the stands is ok, then everything else in between is overpriced. there is this one brand of ice cream they sell for $3 more per pint than another local chain out here, meat is $2-4 more per pound, my protein powder is $49 there, it's $36 at vitamin shoppe...fukk that place. i end up dropping $40 on like 6 items when i can go to trader joe's or berkeley bowl and have like ~2 bags of groceries for like $60

Last edited: