Who was that breh that kept saying...

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Some people really thought smartphone and tablet gaming were really going to take over:mjlol:

I mean....it kinda has as the Switch is currently the best selling console in U.S. history and half of the console's gimmick is it's a "tablet".

Wouldn't say they "needed" them.

Even with the mid-gen updates on the market the OG consoles are selling better than a lot of people said they would.

Regardless, it's not a traditional console life cycle. Prior to this gen it was unheard of to release a 1.5 version of your current gen console.

I seriously doubt console gaming is going anywhere any time soon but the success of the Switch coupled with both Sony and MS releasing mid-gen replacements....it's starting to seem like the industry isn't sure how to proceed.

Fred.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I mean....it kinda has as the Switch is currently the best selling console in U.S. history and half of the console's gimmick is it's a "tablet".

Regardless, it's not a traditional console life cycle. Prior to this gen it was unheard of to release a 1.5 version of your current gen console.

I seriously doubt console gaming is going anywhere any time soon but the success of the Switch coupled with both Sony and MS releasing mid-gen replacements....it's starting to seem like the industry isn't sure how to proceed.

Fred.
The argument wasn't that console gaming would be different going forward. It was that console gaming would cease to exist.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
you can basically say that the Switch is a portable device that you can also plug into your TV

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Fred.
The Switch isn't a tablet it is a dedicated game device. It is an evolution of the Wii-U with the Gamepad being able to be directly connected to the TV for console like play and being used on it's own for handheld play. Nintendo has been pretty much toying with that concept since the first Super Gameboy

• Dap
Reactions: PS4

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I don't think this has any bearing on the fact that the main consoles that are selling aren't the mid gen refreshes but the base models. I'd just guess that the XB1 S and the PS4 Slim are the ones that's selling big monthly, not the Pro or XB1X.

As for the Switch, it's basically an evolved Wii U.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The argument wasn't that console gaming would be different going forward. It was that console gaming would cease to exist.

That's not what the post you responded to said though. :gucci:

Listen, I don't think consoles are going anywhere but some of you are acting like the current state of affairs is how things have always been....which clearly isn't the case.

The Switch isn't a tablet it is a dedicated game device. It is an evolution of the Wii-U with the Gamepad being able to be directly connected to the TV for console like play and being used on it's own for handheld play. Nintendo has been pretty much toying with that concept since the first Super Gameboy

There is dedicated gaming tablets so I don't get your point. The word tablet in and of itself doesn't mean anything.

It's closer to a tablet than a traditional console, and Nintendo themselves have said the foremost reason for the console's success is it's adaptability.

Screen_Shot_2017_10_31_at_9.05.36_AM.png

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I don't think this has any bearing on the fact that the main consoles that are selling aren't the mid gen refreshes but the base models. I'd just guess that the XB1 S and the PS4 Slim are the ones that's selling big monthly, not the Pro or XB1X.

As for the Switch, it's basically an evolved Wii U.

It would be virtually impossible for the mid-gen replacements to sell as well. It's too late in this gen.

Regardless, that's not my point. The point is, neither Sony or MS seem to know how to move forward....so instead of moving forward....they hit pause on the next gen by releasing a stop gap. That's never happened before in gaming history. The closest we came to that is the 32-X and all that nonsense.

Fred.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
That's not what the post you responded to said though. :gucci:

Listen, I don't think consoles are going anywhere but some of you are acting like the current state of affairs is how things have always been....which clearly isn't the case.

Well I didn't contend his claim that things were different. He said the mid-gen refreshes were "needed" in the context of console gaming failing.

My point was the traditional consoles are selling just fine. The mid gens aren't "needed" and they aren't why console gaming didn't die as it was speculated to do.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It would be virtually impossible for the mid-gen replacements to sell as well. It's too late in this gen.

Regardless, that's not my point. The point is, neither Sony or MS seem to know how to move forward....so instead of moving forward....they hit pause on the next gen by releasing a stop gap. That's never happened before in gaming history. The closest we came to that is the 32-X and all that nonsense.

Fred.
I don't think the stop gap means they don't know to move forward. I'm guessing that by the time we start hearing about a PS5, it won't be a hard reset and instead just be simply a newer console but it'll still work in line with PS4 software since I doubt they'd want to reset their huge install base.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The mid-gen refreshes were made because Sony and Microsoft learned that with the Generations going as long as they are now. Toward the end they will start losing the semi-enthusiast market to PC.

It's what happened to PS360 by the end of the gen.

They know this gen will be even longer so they tried to give enthusiasts another option to keep them locked in instead of running the risk of losing them to PC

infamousred

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
of course sony sold that much during the holiday season. it was such a low price point that anyone who didn't have one already could get a cheaper more reliable console. i got a slim and 30 some games for the price that the og started out.:mjlol:

• Dap
Reactions: PS4

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
The mid-gen refreshes were made because Sony and Microsoft learned that with the Generations going as long as they are now. Toward the end they will start losing the semi-enthusiast market to PC.

It's what happened to PS360 by the end of the gen.

They know this gen will be even longer so they tried to give enthusiasts another option to keep them locked in instead of running the risk of losing them to PC
Yup, I agree 100%