Who was a better player: Brandon Roy or Carmelo?

When Healthy, In There Prime, Who Would You Want?

• Brandon Roy

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • Carmelo Anthony

Votes: 56 70.9%

• Total voters

The War Report

NewNewYork
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
The Celtics swept the Knicks. A superstar player in his prime should get you at least ONE win. Melo has made it past the first round once in his entire 9 year career. He has been swept 3 times, lost in the first round in 5 games 4 times.

4 times in Melo's career he has shot below 40% in the playoffs. 6 times below 42%.

Overall Melo's FG% in the playoffs is 41%. Melo has a well documented history of under performing in the postseason.

tumblr_ly0d3aamMv1r6w575o1_500.gif

jfkennedy

Best After Bobby
Daps
Roy made his teammates better...he ran an offense and kept the ball moving. Carmello is a black hole. You could put prime Roy on any team and he could fit. That is something you will never be able to do with Melo. :flabbynsick:

Didn't he play with Andre Miller? Lol, Roy didn't RUN that offense.

Ritzy Sharon

Don't Make Me Pull The Oud Out
Daps
The very fact the nuggets went to the playoffs in melo first year shows he made the team better . .

word, because Andre Miller, Marcus Camby, Nene, Vo Lenard and Earl Boykins were straight up bums right? :aicmon:

Joe_tu-pac

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
did u or did u not say wade was much better than Roy?

did u say wade was 28/5/7 guy?

was melo not a 29/7/4 guy?

r those numbers not comparable?

roys best year was 23/5/5

The Blazers were last in pace that year. Roy only averaged 16 shots a game. His PER that year in the regular season and the playoffs was also higher than any that Carmelo has had.

Didn't he play with Andre Miller? Lol, Roy didn't RUN that offense.

The year before that terrible signing the Roy run offense was 1st in the league in efficiency and won 54 games with a starting lineup of
Blake
Roy
Batum (a rookie who was a token starter)
LA (the underdeveloped non-all-star jump-shooting version)
Pryzbilla
along with Travis Outlaw, Sergio Rodriguez and Rudy Fernandez off the bench.

Brandon Roy never made it out of the first round in his 4 and a half year career :heh:

You're like Roy in this convo, breh...don't have a goddamn leg to stand on.

He was only healthy in one playoff series and that was in 09 when he led the 2nd youngest team to make the playoffs against Houston and averaged 26 a game while lighting up Battier and Artest. Rockets fans had to take notice.

the mainstream opinion, which i subscribe to, is that only the very cream of the crop can carry a team to the championship.

the mainstream opinion is that kobe and lebron are a slight notch ahead of the pack, with wade rounding out the group of elite perimeter plays in the game today. i realize that some feel that wade is better than kobe/lebron, but that's irrelevant to the discussion - i'm just picking one player to set the lower limit to the threshold of "greatness"; if you want to choose kobe or lebron or anyone else as the variable for the discussion, that is fine.

i always held the opinion that the blazers were a nice young team, but really had no chance to break into the "elite" unless oden blossomed or they made some blockbuster trade. my reasoning was that while brandon roy was terrific and a legit all-star, he wasn't in that "elite" class of players that could carry a team all the way to the title.

after watching this series, i am starting to rethink that premise.

the guy is absolutely incredible. it's not just his willingness to drive into the heart of the paint, but the fact that he is doing it seemingly at will against a very good houston defense. he's been making two all-nba defenders look like NBDL rejects.

if dwayne wade is the bottom branch of the "elite" (or kobe, it's not relevant), how much better is he than brandon roy? the gap is much closer than i had assumed..

he's definitely moved ahead of chris paul and deron williams in my book, two guys whom i had ahead of him before this series began.

if brandon roy could dunk, would he be dwayne wade? more importantly, was jeff van gundy's win at denver the most reprehensible crime in rockets history?
how much better is dwayne wade than brandon roy? - ClutchFans

I watched all their match ups. Kobe had more trouble guarding Roy.

People will say Carmelo was a much better player offensively and that he was more talented but how is he exactly? What can he do offensively that Roy couldn't? Roy could post, pass, drive and finish with both hands, play off the ball, was athletic (41inch vert) and had a high basketball iq. This isn't even mentioning his pg ability which gave him the ability to run an offense and close out games as the pg if need be.

Kobe could see it,
“He and I were talking over All-Star break, and I told him I don’t know of any player outside of myself that has no weaknesses besides him. If you think about it, he can go left and pull up and shoot. He can go right and pull up and shoot. He can fade left shoulder, he can fade right shoulder. He can shoot the long ball. He can finish at the rim. He can shoot free throws. He has no weaknesses in his offensive game; so if that’s something he wants to do, he can easily do it.

“The thing about scoring is you really don’t have to give a [expletive] because a lot of people will criticize you for doing what you do. That’s when you have to be willing to take that criticism, still play and be aggressive. He’s such a nice, nice kid. I think that’s something that he will have to battle through and struggle with.”
Roy searching for his inner ruthlessness - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

I doubt we see a shooting guard in the next 10-15 years with as much skill and potential that Roy had.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darth Nubian

I bought my first Ki from my baby momma brother
Daps
Reppin
The Black Star
A lot of ya'll nikkas just started watching sports recently. Just cause you got off with BRoy in NBA Live 09 doesn't mean that he is nice.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Chris Paul never won. Are you going to call him a loser? It takes a team to win. You can play winning basketball, but never win anything, because your teammates weren't good enough. That doesn't make you less of a winner than someone like a Shannon Brown, who won two rings, by doing nothing, but being on a great team. Are you really going to argue that Brown is a winner, but Paul isn't one?

Malone and Ewing definitely aren't winners. They were both known for their choking.

:ohhh: