Who is the modern equivalent to Jimi Hendrix in black music?

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
madlib

• Can flip a Brazilian record into a live experience
  • Experimented in different sounds ranging from soul to rock
  • Created Quasimoto
  • Gave us Madvillian
I will forever give this brother soup when he's sick and will be the first to give him his flowers when he passed.

invalid

Banned
Daps
I think Esperanza Spalding could be a good candidate.

When I think of Hendrix, I think of musicianship.

I don't really view too many rappers within that range.

Adeptus Astartes

Loyal servant of the God-Brehmperor
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imperium of Man
freaking drake’s uncle (for the uninitiated, look him up) was a closer equivalent to Jimi Hendrix than of the guys listed in this thread
Larry Graham? He pioneered slap, but I'd put Bootsy Collins, Victor Wooten, and Jaco Pastorious above him

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Hate to sound like a dusty old head but I had no idea folks really listen to Tyler like this :pachaha:

I don’t know anyone in real life who listens to him. I’ve never heard any friends, families or randos playing his music while out & about.

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
Future Hendrix
images
Crazy thing is I almost considered him too. But I wouldn't say that his influence is appreciated. He made these mumble rappers mainstream, but none of them have been able to replicate his style or exceed him. They mostly sound like junk. Future is the only one who really sounds like future and you can tell right away when you're listening to an off brand future.

I'd argue that young thug is more experimental. The beats he uses in his tracks often sound disjointed and very different from what you normally hear in hip hop. He experiments with his voice, using auto tune, trying to sing, wailing like an old blues singer, or screaming like a metal singer. When you hear him with headphones on its like you're hearing a crazy person stalking you in your home.

He stacks ad libs like he's building a house of cards where one more could ruin the song. Hes someone that sounds like nonsense the first 2 times you listen but on the third time you can break down exactly what he's doing. He's definitely trying hard to stand out to the point where I think everyone knows when they're hearing young thug on the track.

He sounds more conventional on this track

But on this track he's just going crazy, trying all sorts of shyt.

That whole album was unique with the production. None of the songs sounded alike.

Sauce Dab

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If the coli was around then there’s no doubt in my mind y’all would be calling Jimi a c00n and wouldn’t even be paying attention to his music like that