Who is the fifth most popular individual comic superhero of all time?

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
so characters with television shows in the 70s and before determine icon status?

Wonder Woman had been around for 20+ year before that tv series debuted. She's Iconic because she's been around that long and has symbolized female empowerment that entire time. She represents more than just the character in the comics to a lot of people. A lot of people that have never picked up a comic or even seen that show know who wonder woman is, buy her merchandise and view her as a heroic figure.

parallax

Superstar
Daps
Wonder Woman had been around for 20+ year before that tv series debuted. She's Iconic because she's been around that long and has symbolized female empowerment that entire time. She represents more than just the character in the comics to a lot of people. A lot of people that have never picked up a comic or even seen that show know who wonder woman is, buy her merchandise and view her as a heroic figure.

I get that, but I think thats incredibly thought out for most wonder woman fans. You and I can go in on the semblance and importance of many comic book characters as well as their influences in various other avenues, but the reality is that most people like or dislike characters for very simple reasons. While it's true that she is a status symbol, shes most likely popular because she's one of the few popular comic women. It's why a trash character like Harley has become popular as a sort of female hero, when she's nothing of the sort. It's the same reason people hated on both Captain America and superman for a while. It's not because they are bad characters, but people assume they are boy scout characters, and therefore are boring.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I get that, but I think thats incredibly thought out for most wonder woman fans. You and I can go in on the semblance and importance of many comic book characters as well as their influences in various other avenues, but the reality is that most people like or dislike characters for very simple reasons. While it's true that she is a status symbol, shes most likely popular because she's one of the few popular comic women. It's why a trash character like Harley has become popular as a sort of female hero, when she's nothing of the sort. It's the same reason people hated on both Captain America and superman for a while. It's not because they are bad characters, but people assume they are boy scout characters, and therefore are boring.

Naw man, it's deeper than that with Wonder Woman, she is SYNONYMOUS with female empowerment. So much so that any woman that does something exceptional is referred to as a Wonder Woman. If it were just about her being a popular female superhero where many don't exist she would have been usurped by Storm or Phoenix in the 90's when the X-Men were at their height.

there needs to be more than just time to achieve icon status

It's not just about "Time" with Wonder Woman, you're the one saying that, everyone else else has pointed to the character impact on pop culture.

Cultural impact of Wonder Woman - Wikipedia

parallax

Superstar
Daps
True but with Wonder Woman three generations know who she is. Wolverine only about one and half know who he is.

With the advancement of media, there's probably more people that are wolverine fans than wondy ones. Not downplaying her status, but we have people who were kids that were saturated with wolverine stuff. Spider Man has been both a national and international symbol, and batman has never been outside of the public eye so it would make sense for them. But after the wonder woman series, that was pretty much it in the public eye for a while.

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
With the advancement of media, there's probably more people that are wolverine fans than wondy ones. Not downplaying her status, but we have people who were kids that were saturated with wolverine stuff. Spider Man has been both a national and international symbol, and batman has never been outside of the public eye so it would make sense for them. But after the wonder woman series, that was pretty much it in the public eye for a while.
Being a fan is one thing name recognition is another. Wendy's makes better burgers but everyone knows McDonald's. Which would you consider iconic.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL

You're underestimating the sheer amount of Wonder Woman merchandise that has been available for decades. Clothing, coffee mugs, barbie dolls, costumes. Pretty much any product you can think of Wonder Woman's image or logo has been slapped on it and sold.

parallax

Superstar
Daps
Naw man, it's deeper than that with Wonder Woman, she is SYNONYMOUS with female empowerment. So much so that any woman that does something exceptional is referred to as a Wonder Woman. If it were just about her being a popular female superhero where many don't exist she would have been usurped by Storm or Phoenix in the 90's when the X-Men were at their height.

It's not just about "Time" with Wonder Woman, you're the one saying that, everyone else else has pointed to the character impact on pop culture.

Cultural impact of Wonder Woman - Wikipedia

I've heard more women refer to themselves as superwoman than I have wonder woman. And again, most of her popularity comes with her live action TV show, which no mutant has had. Not saying that she isn't a top tier hero, but I think a lot of her popularity comes with her being first rather than what she stands for, which I don't think a lot of people are aware of.

As for the time reference, I wasn't using that to belittle her, but that there needs to be more than just time to be an icon, otherwise Tony starks lame ass would have been considered iconic a long ass time ago, rather than be a character boosted to popularity by a series of popular movies

Being a fan is one thing name recognition is another. Wendy's makes better burgers but everyone knows McDonald's. Which would you consider iconic.

That would be applicable in the sense that the wonder woman train never stopped running after her tv debut, and wolverine had to compete with her at any time. But she achieve pop status, and that's kept her popular, meanwhile wolverine has headlined multiple movies, cartoons and video games years later on continuing now, while wonder woman is getting her first movie.

parallax

Superstar
Daps
You're underestimating the sheer amount of Wonder Woman merchandise that has been available for decades. Clothing, coffee mugs, barbie dolls, costumes. Pretty much any product you can think of Wonder Woman's image or logo has been slapped on it and sold.

Fantastic four mechandise sells as well, but they've fal

Then there has to be some reason that she hasnt been in the media outside of her justice league appearances.

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've heard more women refer to themselves as superwoman than I have wonder woman. And again, most of her popularity comes with her live action TV show, which no mutant has had. Not saying that she isn't a top tier hero, but I think a lot of her popularity comes with her being first rather than what she stands for, which I don't think a lot of people are aware of.

As for the time reference, I wasn't using that to belittle her, but that there needs to be more than just time to be an icon, otherwise Tony starks lame ass would have been considered iconic a long ass time ago, rather than be a character boosted to popularity by a series of popular movies

That would be applicable in the sense that the wonder woman train never stopped running after her tv debut, and wolverine had to compete with her at any time. But she achieve pop status, and that's kept her popular, meanwhile wolverine has headlined multiple movies, cartoons and video games years later on continuing now, while wonder woman is getting her first movie.
Wolverine is exposed on this new media yes. But Wonder Woman has been exposed way longer. Like I said three generations know who Wonder Woman is. My mother does not know who wolverine is.

parallax

Superstar
Daps
Wolverine is exposed on this new media yes. But Wonder Woman has been exposed way longer. Like I said three generations know who Wonder Woman is. My mother does not know who wolverine is.

Your mother is probably in the minority in that case. My mom, aunt, and grandma all know who he is(visibly of course)

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Why is this so hard for them to understand? The fact that she has been mostly out of the public eye for 40 years and is STILL a household name means everything
it begins with people not knowing the definition of POPULARITY

noun
the quality or fact of being popular.
the favor of the general public or of a particular group of people:
His popularity with television audiences is unrivaled.

So the question is NOT who is more known.. who you can show a picture of and ask "who is this guy".. who more people can name off the top of their heads

the question is who is more LIKED

the second part that comes in is what people are ignoring... OF ALL TIME

so it's not now.. it's not with under 35.. it's not with comic fans..

the question is literally asking who is the fifth MOST LIKED character OF ALL THE PEOPLE IN THE WORLD

and with the fact that damn near 99% of all women will say they like wonder woman... i'd have to give it to her