Who is the best passer in NBA history?

Best Dime Dropper

• Total voters

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
One thing's for sure modern basketball has a lot of good passers but as shyt is positionless, we really don't know how good they are going from their stats or highlights since nobody is a "designated passer" like a CP3, Stockton and Magic, and plays are not structured for them to deliver assists like that.

But i'd say Magic or Stockton, Stockton is probably statistically the best in both AST and low TOV, while Magic had quite high TOV but he also tried creative shyt while Stockton was less of a risk taker

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Magic - gets a lot of hype for the best passer ever, but honestly, not as good passing in the half court as some of the other guys mentioned above
I wonder if yall actually go back and watch games. Instead of running with narratives. I've watched several old Laker games from the 80s and I'm sorry to say but Magic gets overrated as a passer. He isn't a better passer than Lebron or Jokic.

They're not going to like this. The hype for Magic based on reputation and highlight videos is out of control. Nostalgia will win these arguments every time.

Kidd, Nash, Bron, and Joker all could make a higher variety of passes in the halfcourt than Magic could. CP3 and Rondo were more careful with their passes and have some of the all-time great bball IQ, but didn't have the same variety of difficulty (height plays a role here). Stockton was one of the best of his day but isn't up there with the other all-time greats, he's elevated too much by the stats that came from him spamming the same plays 30-40 times a game until playoffs came about and suddenly they didn't work anymore. Luka is the best Magic comp in the halfcourt but doesn't have as much flair on the fast break, in part be cause teams don't run fast breaks as much anymore and defenders don't let as much silly stuff get by them because a lot more players can fake at that level now.

Also, there are compilations of half court passing by Magic. The Showtime break stuff overshadows the set offense passes and the give-and-go rapport he had with Kareem.

Why not post them? The one compilation that anyone has posted so far is mostly fast break passes, and the halfcourt passes it does show are basic. The video literally started with two basic-ass front-facing, clearly telegraphed bounce passes with no one moving and no defender between them. Most of the other passes were just passes over the defender.

On top of that, he had a ton of turnovers for a player who rarely drove.

I always ask for a compilation of Magic passes in the halfcourt that other good passers couldn't make. And no one ever posts it.

Last edited:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
To me Magic = Jokic.

Recent bias for Jokic, but they both basically untouchable when it comes to finding the creative pass.

They're both insane when it comes to throwing the ball at awkward angles.

fifth column

Superstar
Daps
I wonder if yall actually go back and watch games. Instead of running with narratives. I've watched several old Laker games from the 80s and I'm sorry to say but Magic gets overrated as a passer. He isn't a better passer than Lebron or Jokic.

The answer for me is clearly Jokic.
Lebron turns over the ball too much to be in a convo with Magic and Jokic

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Magic’s variety of passes is OD. Jokic is probably the most impressive one of my lifetime with how surgical he is and how quick his reads are. I think he’s a 10 in that respect and Luka’s prob like a 8? Jokic is prob a head above for me (than the big name heliocentric guys of today), bc he’ll see and set up a pass even when he’s off ball. The collective offensive IQ raises when he’s on the court in a way it doesn’t when Luka or Harden is in
Jokic to me is the first player that I've seen that compares to Magic to me. You described it perfect in how he's seeing the floor even before touching the ball. Can make every pass, you can tell he ain't just looking to where bodies are but to where players are looking as well. Luka and Lebron for modern players isn't far behind.

My answer is Magic. You can throw on damn near any old Laker game and be awed by his passing. And he didn't just do the flashy shyt to put on a show, it'll be 2 minutes left in the game and he'll make a no-look pass or thread the needle through traffic. He was known for throwing passes right past defender's ears if their heads ain't turned the right way. And the main reason I put Magic and Jokic above the others is they didn't have to pound the rock for their assists. Both are willing to give the rock up to teammates to let them cook after probing the D.

Also I think Isiah is missing from this list.