Who is George Santos? He claims to have degrees from Baruch & NYU but nobody knows him. Update: He’s officially been ousted from congress

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
This should be interesting

When Representative-elect George Santos takes his seat in Congress on Tuesday, he will do so under the shadow of active investigations by federal and local prosecutors into potential criminal activity during his two congressional campaigns.

But an older criminal case may be more pressing: Brazilian law enforcement authorities intend to revive fraud charges against Mr. Santos, and will seek his formal response, prosecutors told The New York Times on Monday.

The matter, which stemmed from an incident in 2008 regarding a stolen checkbook, had been suspended for the better part of a decade because the police were unable to locate him.

Nathaly Ducoulombier, a spokeswoman for the Rio de Janeiro’s prosecutors office, said that with Mr. Santos’s “whereabouts identified,” a formal request will be made to the U.S. Justice Department to notify him of the charges, a necessary step after which the case will proceed with or without him.

The criminal case in Brazil was first disclosed in a New York Times investigation that uncovered broad discrepancies in his résumé and questions about his financial dealings.

Just a month before his 20th birthday, Mr. Santos entered a small clothing store in the Brazilian city of Niterói outside Rio de Janeiro. He spent nearly $700 using a stolen checkbook and a false name, court records show.

• Dig deeper into the moment.
Special offer: Subscribe for $1 a week.

Mr. Santos admitted the fraud to the shop owner in August 2009, writing on Orkut, a popular social media website in Brazil, “I know I screwed up, but I want to pay.” In 2010, he and his mother told the police that he had stolen the checkbook of a man his mother used to work for, and used it to make fraudulent purchases.

Sign up for the New York Today Newsletter Each morning, get the latest on New York businesses, arts, sports, dining, style and more. Get it sent to your inbox.
A judge approved the charge in September 2011 and ordered Mr. Santos to respond to the case. But by October, he was already in the United States and working at Dish Network in College Point, Queens, company records show.

Despite his earlier confessions, Mr. Santos has recently denied any criminal involvement, telling The New York Post, “I am not a criminal here — not here or in Brazil or any jurisdiction in the world.”

Joe Murray, a lawyer for Mr. Santos, said on Monday, “I am in the process of engaging local counsel to address this alleged complaint against my client.”
Mr. Santos’s swearing-in on Tuesday as the representative of New York’s Third Congressional District was already set to take place amid a cloud of scrutiny.
Last week, The New York Times reported irregularities in Mr. Santos’s campaign spending, including $40,000 on flights and payments for rent that are linked to an address where Mr. Santos is reported to be staying, a possible violation of the ban on using campaign funds for personal expenses.

The Times also disclosed that Mr. Santos had lied about graduating from college and had misled voters about having worked for Citigroup and Goldman Sachs. He also acknowledged owing thousands of dollars in unpaid rent, and withdrew his claim that he owned multiple properties.

The next step for Brazilian prosecutors is to file a petition when the courts reopen at the end of the week requesting that Mr. Santos respond to the charges against him. A judge would then share the request, called a rogatory letter, with the federal Justice Ministry in Brazil, which would share it with the U.S. Department of Justice. Neither the Justice Department nor Brazilian authorities can compel Mr. Santos to respond at this point. But Mr. Santos must be officially notified in order for the case to proceed.

A criminal conviction, even for a felony, is not on its own an act that would disqualify a congressional member from holding office. The last time a member of Congress was removed from office for breaking the law was in 2002, when James A. Traficant Jr. was removed from the House after his conviction on felony racketeering and corruption charges.

If Mr. Santos does not present a defense in the Brazilian case, he will be tried in absentia. If found guilty, Mr. Santos could receive up to five years in prison, plus a fine.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
This should be interesting

When Representative-elect George Santos takes his seat in Congress on Tuesday, he will do so under the shadow of active investigations by federal and local prosecutors into potential criminal activity during his two congressional campaigns.

But an older criminal case may be more pressing: Brazilian law enforcement authorities intend to revive fraud charges against Mr. Santos, and will seek his formal response, prosecutors told The New York Times on Monday.

The matter, which stemmed from an incident in 2008 regarding a stolen checkbook, had been suspended for the better part of a decade because the police were unable to locate him.

Nathaly Ducoulombier, a spokeswoman for the Rio de Janeiro’s prosecutors office, said that with Mr. Santos’s “whereabouts identified,” a formal request will be made to the U.S. Justice Department to notify him of the charges, a necessary step after which the case will proceed with or without him.

The criminal case in Brazil was first disclosed in a New York Times investigation that uncovered broad discrepancies in his résumé and questions about his financial dealings.

Just a month before his 20th birthday, Mr. Santos entered a small clothing store in the Brazilian city of Niterói outside Rio de Janeiro. He spent nearly $700 using a stolen checkbook and a false name, court records show.

• Dig deeper into the moment.
Special offer: Subscribe for $1 a week.

Mr. Santos admitted the fraud to the shop owner in August 2009, writing on Orkut, a popular social media website in Brazil, “I know I screwed up, but I want to pay.” In 2010, he and his mother told the police that he had stolen the checkbook of a man his mother used to work for, and used it to make fraudulent purchases.

Sign up for the New York Today Newsletter Each morning, get the latest on New York businesses, arts, sports, dining, style and more. Get it sent to your inbox.
A judge approved the charge in September 2011 and ordered Mr. Santos to respond to the case. But by October, he was already in the United States and working at Dish Network in College Point, Queens, company records show.

Despite his earlier confessions, Mr. Santos has recently denied any criminal involvement, telling The New York Post, “I am not a criminal here — not here or in Brazil or any jurisdiction in the world.”

Joe Murray, a lawyer for Mr. Santos, said on Monday, “I am in the process of engaging local counsel to address this alleged complaint against my client.”
Mr. Santos’s swearing-in on Tuesday as the representative of New York’s Third Congressional District was already set to take place amid a cloud of scrutiny.
Last week, The New York Times reported irregularities in Mr. Santos’s campaign spending, including $40,000 on flights and payments for rent that are linked to an address where Mr. Santos is reported to be staying, a possible violation of the ban on using campaign funds for personal expenses.

The Times also disclosed that Mr. Santos had lied about graduating from college and had misled voters about having worked for Citigroup and Goldman Sachs. He also acknowledged owing thousands of dollars in unpaid rent, and withdrew his claim that he owned multiple properties.

The next step for Brazilian prosecutors is to file a petition when the courts reopen at the end of the week requesting that Mr. Santos respond to the charges against him. A judge would then share the request, called a rogatory letter, with the federal Justice Ministry in Brazil, which would share it with the U.S. Department of Justice. Neither the Justice Department nor Brazilian authorities can compel Mr. Santos to respond at this point. But Mr. Santos must be officially notified in order for the case to proceed.

A criminal conviction, even for a felony, is not on its own an act that would disqualify a congressional member from holding office. The last time a member of Congress was removed from office for breaking the law was in 2002, when James A. Traficant Jr. was removed from the House after his conviction on felony racketeering and corruption charges.

If Mr. Santos does not present a defense in the Brazilian case, he will be tried in absentia. If found guilty, Mr. Santos could receive up to five years in prison, plus a fine.

I'm perfectly fine with him being deported to serve his sentence in Brazilian Prison with the Red Command

:manny:

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
A Federal employee can get fined or get prison time for lying on a federal background screening. Yet, this dummy is about to be sworn into Congress this week. :francis: Another example how fycked up the system is. Even worse, neither party isn't doing shyt and he'll have access to secret material.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I'm perfectly fine with him being deported to serve his sentence in Brazilian Prison with the Red Command

:manny:

If Republicans refuse to expel him from Congress, a GOAT move by Biden would be to extradite him to Brazil.

Imagine an active Republican congressman unable to vote cause he's rotting in a Brazilian jail. :heh:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I'm dying to know his actually backstory lol. He's lied about the following things

His education, work history, his mom dying on 9/11, his sexuality, his religion, and he's under investigation for fraud in a foreign country lol.

That ain't even the half of it:

I put together all the exposals and so far it appears likely that he:

Lied about being Jewish
Lied about his mother having Ukrainian roots
Lied about his father having Angolan roots
Lied about his grandparents fleeing anti-Jewish persecution in WW2
Lied about his mother being an executive at a major financial institution
Lied about his mother being in the South Tower during 9/11
Stole a checkbook and wrote fake checks with it in Brazil
Fled Brazil after being charged with check fraud and is still a fugitive
Lied about graduating from Baruch College.
Lied about graduating from New York University.
Lied about working at Citigroup.
Lied about working at Goldman Sachs.
Was evicted from an apartment in Queens in 2015 because he owed unpaid rent
Lied about losing 4 employees in the 2016 Pulse nightclub massacre
Was evicted from a different apartment in Queens in 2017 because he owed over $10,000 in unpaid rent
Ran a fraudulent fundraising event in 2017 and kept all the money.
Was regional director of Harbor City Capital, which has been charged by the SEC of being a $17 million Ponzi scheme
Founded "Red Strategies USA", which ran a single campaign before being dissolved due to failure to file an annual report
Lied about being an openly gay man for over a decade
Hid a marriage and divorce to a woman that ended in 2019
Lied about running a registered nonprofit for pets.
Lied about saving 2,500 cats and dogs.
Lied about losing his first election due to voter fraud
Lied about writing a check to help January 6 rioters with their legal bills
Lied about owning 13 properties in New York.
Lied about the assets in the "Devolder Organization".
Lied about his dividends from the Devolder Organization.
Had the Devolder Organization dissolved due to failure to file an annual report
Lied about being married to a man
Lied about that man being a pharmacist
Lied about the address they live at
Lied on his campaign finance reports

4-5 of those aren't confirmed yet but I suspect they will be. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be a bot and the pictures we've seen are AI generated.

I wrote that two weeks ago so it's already out of date. He also:

Lied about attending Horace Mann School in NY for high school
Lied about getting mugged in New York
Lied about not being wanted for a crime in Brazil
Was evicted a 3rd time for unpaid rent that I didn't catch before
Didn't disclose he had a young child with his wife from just 4 years ago even though he's supposedly been an open proud gay for a decade

There's probably more, what'd I miss?