Who had the bigger/hottest prime between these rappers,late 90's Dmx,early 2000 Nelly,early 2000 Eminem,prime wayne,prime 50 cent, other(s):poll

Who had the bigger/hotter prime between these rappers

• late 90's Dmx

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • early 2000 Nelly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • early 2000 Eminem

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • prime wayne

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • 03 50 cent

Votes: 45 60.8%
  • other(s)

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Snoop by a wide margin.

Dude went 4x plat in 1994 and was on the cover of Newsweek at the same time.

Not Rolling Stone, or The Source, or Vibe....Newsweek. He was a household name based off his murder trial.

Fred.

Soldier

not redeemed with gold but with His Blood
Daps
In that year (2003) 50 cent reached the highest peak ever for a rapper (before the social media era) but His prime was short like leprechauns. He fizzled after his second album in 2005( the massacre) and by 2007 he was finished. Kanye dethroned him and was the one who dictated things in the rap game as hip hop entered a new era. 50 has been irrevelant musically since 2007-2008-2009( basically the entire late 2000s) :mjlol:

Lil wayne unlike 50 cent peaked gradually, step by step, just like boiling water. 50 cent rise to mainstream fame was dramatic and quick, the wild storylines about him, the buzz around him was insane, he kinda came out of nowhere, no one saw him coming but wayne rise to stardom was slow and gradual you saw his progression year by year. In 2003- 2004, he was known and loved primarily by rap fans, by 2008-2009, he was the biggest artist( not just rapper) in the world and had the highest selling album of the music industry in 2008. Selling out arenas everywhere and having huge mainstream hits on his albums.

Weezy had better longevity too. His prime was longer too, from 2006 to 2012. Drake took over in 2012 with his album take care and ended the prime wayne era. 50 cent prime lasted from january 2003 and ended in 2007.

Both had the( it )factor too obviously.

My answer: prime wayne

Last edited:

AMcV'88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, Downtown, Switzerland
not really answering the question just thinking out loud here but

little Nelly from St Louis coming in the game with no co-sign and going diamond is an unbelievable feat

Eminem doesn't even count that shyt an anomaly
a generation of young kids becoming teenagers got WWF's Attitude Era, Eminem and South Park all at the same time.. talk about a perfect storm.

darryl

Superstar
Daps
Snoop by a wide margin.

Not Rolling Stone, or The Source, or Vibe....Newsweek. He was a household name based off his murder trial.

Fred.
Fred knows his shyt when it comes to this so I'll take his word for it lol

• Haha
Reactions: hex

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
50 cent rise to mainstream fame was dramatuc abd quick, the wild storylines around him, he kinda came out of nowhere, no one saw him coming

Not really. Anybody who was following rap heard "How To Rob" and all the songs from that time frame. He had "The Power Of The Dollar" and mixtapes floating around too.

Dude was bubbling in the underground for a while. Same with Em.

Fred.

Sire366

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Phila
Snoop by a wide margin.

Fred.
You got me on years, and the doggy style/chronic era speaks for itself… and snoop was basically on the same level as Dre for that, so I def take your opinion on this as truth

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Jalether

Superstar
Daps
50 was big but Wayne was a generation.

50 was hotter but Wayne raised an entire generation.
I hear you on this and agree with you that Wayne’s legacy is more pronounced today… I took the question to mean though, in the moment, who had the biggest buzz possible..

Get rich or die trying had more buzz and had more of a 6/8 month following it: release with impact, then LFLS/carter 3 leaks/carter 3 (and Wayne was huge then, I was in college and you’d here all his stuff everywhere) Wayne’s legacy is stronger for sure, but that November 2002-November 2003, nobody had the buzz, love, and just owned the game like 50 cent.

For those saying Eminem, they say first impression is everything.. Eminem did not have the feel off of slim shady lp like he did with Marshall mathers lp. And even then, it was a limited buzz. He sold diamond and was the pinnacle of korn/limp biscuit/kid rock era.. but even in suburbia (I’m white and went to a 60/40 white to minority high school), 50 cent was much more talked about before his release and year after then Eminem was on MMLP.

Also will say, thank you 50 cent. I was able to burn the leak and sold probably 200 units for $5 apiece to kids who did not learn the internet at that time
Exactly. it's just that, the thread has nothing to do with legacy or impact on the culture

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
There wasn't one and the closest one is Ludacris.

Lol you’re my guy but no this isn’t true at all

But I do agree with everything else you’re saying.

I chose 50 and now changing to Em

From 1999-2002 Em had two diamond albums, a number 1 single, and also won an Oscar during his “prime” if you’re going with what OP said then the answer is Em. Nobody else comes close honestly.

I read the title wrong and took it as buzz

SSL, MML, TES, 8 mile soundtrack, Oscar, hit movie, and a damn near flawless feature run.

Eminem wins this.

Then 50. 50 changed the mixtape market with G unit radio and if you listen to them he was the first rapper to make hook, verse, hook and two minute songs on there lol things people hate now, get rich, beg for mercy, he wrote hit records snd responsible for the careers of banks, buck, Yayo, and game, the massacre, and g unit clothing and shoes was a hit, and never forget his video game was fukking amazing.

Last edited:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lol you’re my guy but no this isn’t true at all

But I do agree with everything else you’re saying.

I chose 50 and now changing to Em

From 1999-2002 Em had two diamond albums, a number 1 single, and also won an Oscar during his “prime” if you’re going with what OP said then the answer is Em. Nobody else comes close honestly.

I read the title wrong and took it as buzz

SSL, MML, TES, 8 mile soundtrack, Oscar, hit movie, and a damn near flawless feature run.

Eminem wins this.

Then 50. 50 changed the mixtape market with G unit radio and if you listen to them he was the first rapper to make hook, verse, hook and two minute songs on there lol things people hate now, get rich, beg for mercy, he wrote hit records snd responsible for the careers of banks, buck, Yayo, and game, the massacre, and g unit clothing and shoes was a hit, and never forget his video game was fukking amazing.

I think you misunderstood the reply you quoted. I was asked was there a Black equivalent to Eminem. My response was no and the closest Black equivalent to Eminem stylistically was Ludacris.

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I think you misunderstood the reply you quoted. I was asked was there a Black equivalent to Eminem. My response was no and the closest Black equivalent to Eminem stylistically was Ludacris.

No i didn’t. I got what you saying. Em and Luda styles were totally different

I forgot to separate the em explanation