Who had the bigger/hottest prime between these rappers,late 90's Dmx,early 2000 Nelly,early 2000 Eminem,prime wayne,prime 50 cent, other(s):poll

Who had the bigger/hotter prime between these rappers

• late 90's Dmx

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • early 2000 Nelly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • early 2000 Eminem

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • prime wayne

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • 03 50 cent

Votes: 45 60.8%
  • other(s)

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
Daps
Those weren't his own rules. On the same token, he could've been laughed out of Hip Hop because of how he looked and the music he made. He and Nelly kind of existed in the same sphere: both got heavy play on Pop radio, MTV, in addition to Black radio. Nelly's was nearly doing Eminem numbers as a brand new artist without doing 2 million in the opening week.

He was playing by his own rules making MAD TV rap. Nelly got played where Eminem would never. Be a black DJ working a black club and play the “Real Slim Shady” after “Ride With Me” if you don’t like your job

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He was playing by his own rules making MAD TV rap. Nelly got played where Eminem would never. Be a black DJ working a black club and play the “Real Slim Shady” after “Ride With Me” if you don’t like your job

That wasn't HIS rules though. He simply found a lane/niche and stuck with it. That's pretty much every artist. Nelly wouldn't be Nelly if he came out the gate doing anything other than what he did. Jay Z couldn't away with "Ride With Me" and neither could Nas.

Daps
That wasn't HIS rules though. He simply found a lane/niche and stuck with it. That's pretty much every artist. Nelly wouldn't be Nelly if he came out the gate doing anything other than what he did. Jay Z couldn't away with "Ride With Me" and neither could Nas.

Those were the rules that applied to him and him alone. Feel how you feel we all lived through it

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Those were the rules that applied to him and him alone. Feel how you feel we all lived through it

Every artist has "rules" that only apply to them and them alone. Again, Jay Z can get away with making certain records and not be criticized for it and even receive praise for it simply because he's Jay Z. Nelly could get away with making records and not be criticized for it simply because he's Nelly. Nobody else could've made "Ha" or "Back That Thang Up", but Juvenile without getting backlash.

BK The Great

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BK NY
DMX released two platinum albums in one year, also had the Ruff Ryders release their compilation and was also on songs with Jay-Z. I think I will have to go with him. That was before the 2000’s run with Em and 50.

Daps
Every artist has "rules" that only apply to them and them alone. Again, Jay Z can get away with making certain records and not be criticized for it and even receive praise for it simply because he's Jay Z. Nelly could get away with making records and not be criticized for it simply because he's Nelly. Nobody else could've made "Ha" or "Back That Thang Up", but Juvenile without getting backlash.

Stop repeating yourself and show me the black equivalent to M&M in those days

NoirDynosaur

Yurrrrrrrrrr
Daps
Reppin
Planet Earth
DMX released two platinum albums in one year, also had the Ruff Ryders release their compilation and was also on songs with Jay-Z. I think I will have to go with him. That was before the 2000’s run with Em and 50.
This. People forget how astronomical DMX was when he first came out

The energy on those albums

Both albums at 1# is significant

Neither Em nor 50 had this happened. Period.

BK The Great

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BK NY

I think because he didn’t really sell as much first week which everyone really focuses on. But those albums he released the same year became monsters. But nobody went platinum two times in a year like he did. Guess fans only look at commercial success if they selling a million first week.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Not being dismissive of what DMX was able to do, but it's not like rappers releasing two albums in the same year was a common occurrence. X was one of the first.

Sire366

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Phila
50 was big but Wayne was a generation.

50 was hotter but Wayne raised an entire generation.
I hear you on this and agree with you that Wayne’s legacy is more pronounced today… I took the question to mean though, in the moment, who had the biggest buzz possible..

Get rich or die trying had more buzz and had more of a 6/8 month following it: release with impact, then LFLS/carter 3 leaks/carter 3 (and Wayne was huge then, I was in college and you’d here all his stuff everywhere) Wayne’s legacy is stronger for sure, but that November 2002-November 2003, nobody had the buzz, love, and just owned the game like 50 cent.

For those saying Eminem, they say first impression is everything.. Eminem did not have the feel off of slim shady lp like he did with Marshall mathers lp. And even then, it was a limited buzz. He sold diamond and was the pinnacle of korn/limp biscuit/kid rock era.. but even in suburbia (I’m white and went to a 60/40 white to minority high school), 50 cent was much more talked about before his release and year after then Eminem was on MMLP.

Also will say, thank you 50 cent. I was able to burn the leak and sold probably 200 units for $5 apiece to kids who did not learn the internet at that time