Who are the Yoruba people?

GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH
Wale albums have no cohesion :yeshrug: . What has me saying they aren't speaking english got to do with me disrespecting Yoruba culture? Ghanaians make afrobeat, still sound the same. I listen to Hip Hop, if it isn't the lyrics, it's the beat. For afrobeat, I don't understand the language and beats sound the same. How is this disrespect to Yoruba culture. This an example of the disconnect when Africans come to this country, can't take jokes. Again i posted an interesting video and you butt hurt mentioning something irrelevant :camby:
You sound like an imperialist conquistador in blackface you would never tell this to an Indian, Japanese, or Russian. In fact most people wouldn't take that disrespect about their culture/language in the slightest as a joke. You telling long tales

RehReh

đź–¤GhettoEmpressđź–¤
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
UK
Naija brehs, answer this.

Is there a way Igbo, Yoruba, etc. people can tell each other apart physically or is it all language?

My girl is Igbo but she was born here and doesn’t know a whole lot about her culture cause her parents wanted her to assimilate. So she couldn’t answer it for me.
Your wifey is Igbo!
Rep

Busted_Toes

Veteran
Daps
You sound like an imperialist conquistador in blackface you would never tell this to an Indian, Japanese, or Russian. In fact most people wouldn't take that disrespect about their culture/language in the slightest as a joke. You telling long tales
What? Nikka, drill music sounds the same. so does afro beat. You made up this scenario in your head that i spit on a Yoruba elder or something.

GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH
What? Nikka, drill music sounds the same. so does afro beat. You made up this scenario in your head that i spit on a Yoruba elder or something.
You ignorant fukk you still don't get it. this isn't about you thinking the music sounds the same. This is about soft assimilation and undermining people speaking their own language

RadaMillz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Harlem, Uganda

Is there a way Igbo, Yoruba, etc. people can tell each other apart physically or is it all language?

My girl is Igbo but she was born here and doesn’t know a whole lot about her culture cause her parents wanted her to assimilate. So she couldn’t answer it for me.

Yoruba = NBA
Igbo = NFL

Givethanks

Superstar
Daps
Some of our ancestors
:wow:

Fun fact:

Yoruba is also the name of one of the afro-Cuban religion. I remember seeing chicken bones, candles and broken bottle on the street corner and my guy was explaining that had to do something with the orishas or something

Last edited:

Busted_Toes

Veteran
Daps
You ignorant fukk you still don't get it. this isn't about you thinking the music sounds the same. This is about soft assimilation and undermining people speaking their own language
i have no idea what you talking about... sounds like a twitter feminist. When comments popup like "hip hop is dead, we still have afrobeat" , the artists don't even speak english, so i'm left listening to another language with same beat. :yeshrug: In your mind, i just pissed on an Yoruba elder head. your retarded, fully.

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I figure it might be similar to anywhere were multiple black ethnic groups live together and you can tell by mannerisms, dress, accents etc.
For instance in nyc you can figure if someone is carribean or AA or African just by mannerisms. Of course all of that goes out the window if the person is assimilated

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Don't forget the Edo/Bini people as well.