White people are OUTRAGED that Yara Shahidi will be Tinkerbell in the new Peter Pan movie. #NotMyTinkerbell

Low End Derrick

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
“What if we made a black panther with matthew mcconaughey? Huh, or a MLK movie with Ryan Reynolds? Then what? We get called racist! I’m sick of these double standards! They’re trying to erase us from everything!”

b05.jpg

TheSuperkick!

The Ultimate Madness!
Supporter
Daps
There's a lotof nuance that people seem to leave out or flat out ignore in these situations. It just leads to the same arguments over and over on repeat because no one can hear the other side out when they're wrong because they want so bad to "win" on the internet.

I've seen the argument that this situation only blows up if the character is made black and that's true. No one was mad about Mamoa being Aquaman. No one was mad that Ben Kingsley was the Mandarin (until the twist). Tom Hardy as Bane. Etc. Etc. But when characters are made black there's always a vocal pushback.

We've seen the argument that if it was the other way, people would be called racist. Like making Black Panther or Shaft a white dude. That doesn't work because being black is 100% a part of their character.

Another thing people say is, "just make new black characters." Problem with that is you're probably not gonna get a major return upfront. Gotta spend money to make money but still. And I know Black Panther exist but that's Marvel so it was sort of a guaranteed billion.

But the big one that a lot of people seem to leave out, is that if a lot of these characters remained white all these years and decades later, you would be leaving most all minorities out of major starring roles in billion dollar franchises. Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, primarily white cast all the way through. And there are even more franchises that are at that level. But again, most all those roles are "whites only." Life changing money but not for those of us with pigment. Same with a lot of Oscar roles. Hell, remember Oscars so White?

If you take a step back and just look around you'll see just how much is still white. But they'll always be those arguing about erasure just because 85% white dropped to 80% white.

Manny2828

Pro
Daps
thats how it always is. noone was tripping when oscar issac was moon knight, del toro being the collector, ned being portrayed by a filipino and aquaman being played by a native hawaiian. but let a black person be a character and its the end of the damn world

Tbh none of those characters are as well known as Ariel or Tinkerbell. Samuel L Jackson was casted as Nick Fury( an original white character) and there wasn’t a pushback. So I think this also has to do with sexism. Because there was another movie where a black girl was casted as the main girl in Percy Jackson and there was a lot of pushback even though the main guy was black in the movie years ago. Seems like black women face the most hate from this

parallax

Superstar
Daps
Tbh none of those characters are as well known as Ariel or Tinkerbell. Samuel L Jackson was casted as Nick Fury( an original white character) and there wasn’t a pushback. So I think this also has to do with sexism. Because there was another movie where a black girl was casted as the main girl in Percy Jackson and there was a lot of pushback even though the main guy was black in the movie years ago. Seems like black women face the most hate from this
the nick fury used in the mcu was based off the ultimates version, wich was designed around sam jackson. and it wasnt like nick fury was a well known character himself

parallax

Superstar
Daps
Yeah that my point. There was no outrage because most people don’t know who nick fury is
most people that would get upset about this dont care about the character, they just want a reason to bytch about black people. its like the redhead erasure shyt going around now, but oddly enough elsa bloodstone isnt on said list

omnifax

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kalamazoo, MI #ADOS
They won't need to be outraged for long. The DEI well is drying up and if the SCOTUS claps AA this summer it will be a cold winter coming.